Execution Put On Hold

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11013748/

The court wants to consider his appeal that the cocktail of chemicals the state uses to kill condemned inmates causes pain and violates the Constitution’s ban on cruel and inhuman punishment.

So I guess that the cop that he shot in the back didn't feel any pain. Personally, any method of execution that they might use is IMO, going to cause pain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethal_injection

The process in and of itself does not seem like the person is going to be in a constant state of pain.

I wonder if beheading hurts
If he wants death let him have it he has earned it

what a pity. how about we spare his life...

get on with it. bring unto him what this man deserves.

i heard the defense was claiming this dude suffered from mental retardation. of course this guy is retarded....kill a cop and expect to live...? that's pretty ****ing retarded! see ya dude!

www.afterinnocence.com

While not making any comments on this specific case, I will point out that the State of Florida has exonerated 25 convicted, death row inmates since 1972.

Also, Florida has spent more than One Billion dollars operating their death penalty system. In return, there have been 58 executions. To date, that is 18 Million dollars per execution.

http://www.fadp.org

MJS said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11013748/

So I guess that the cop that he shot in the back didn't feel any pain. Personally, any method of execution that they might use is IMO, going to cause pain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethal_injection

The process in and of itself does not seem like the person is going to be in a constant state of pain.

How about this one? A death row inmate in California claimed, along with sympathetic supporters, that he was TOO old to be executed. Two of his victims were 17 year old girls. One strangled, the other shotgunned while she begged for her life.
http://www.ktvu.com/deathrow/6128928/detail.html

He was executed, and at 76, he had nearly 60 more years on Earth than two of his victims did.

Jonathan Randall said:
How about this one? A death row inmate in California claimed, along with sympathetic supporters, that he was TOO old to be executed. Two of his victims were 17 year old girls. One strangled, the other shotgunned while she begged for her life.

He was executed, and at 76, he had nearly 60 more years on Earth than two of his victims did.
The guy in California we could chalk up as state assisted Euthanasia instead.

michaeledward said:
www.afterinnocence.com

While not making any comments on this specific case, I will point out that the State of Florida has exonerated 25 convicted, death row inmates since 1972.

Also, Florida has spent more than One Billion dollars operating their death penalty system. In return, there have been 58 executions. To date, that is 18 Million dollars per execution.

http://www.fadp.org
That's funny, I guess when the specific facts of the case don't support a position, just talk in vague generalities.

As for the cost, it is a direct result of these kinds of appeals.....appeals not made on the merits of the case, but about what are, fundamentally, irrelavent issues to any discussion of guilt or innocence.

Jonathan Randall said:
Yes, putting a rabid dog down...
It's interesting that the gentleman in California is living PROOF against the idiotic argument that simply incarcerating someone for the rest of their lives is protection enough for society. He was able to contract the murders that were committed from inside prison walls.

Only death can guarantee society is beyond the violent reach of these kind of men.

sgtmac_46 said:
That's funny, I guess when the specific facts of the case don't support a position, just talk in vague generalities.

As for the cost, it is a direct result of these kinds of appeals.....appeals not made on the merits of the case, but about what are, fundamentally, irrelavent issues to any discussion of guilt or innocence.

I don't know the specific facts in this case, so I offer no comment on them. Anytime the State slows down, or stops an Execution, I support that decision. I do not believe the state should ever take a life.

According to the Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty, the cost is NOT the 'direct results of these kinds of appeals'. The cost is front loaded. They support that assertion with an article from the Florida Lakeland Ledger.

This paragraph, from the www.fadp.org web site, offers three link that support their 'cost is prohibitive' position.

According to the Miami Herald, it costs 2 to 6 times as much to kill one person than to incarcerate for life. (3.2 million versus $750,000 in Florida). This cost is weighted UP FRONT - in the initial trial, not in the appeals process as so many believe. Since Florida's death penalty law was re-written in 1972, our state has spent more than $1 billion on its death penalty system, for a return of only 58 executions. That's more than $18,000,000 per execution, and for what return? Is this a good use of your tax dollars? Don't take our word for it. Click here to read a recent in-depth report by the Lakeland Ledger. Click here and also here to see more about FADP's concerns on the cost issue.

michaeledward said:
I don't know the specific facts in this case, so I offer no comment on them. Anytime the State slows down, or stops an Execution, I support that decision. I do not believe the state should ever take a life.

According to the Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty, the cost is NOT the 'direct results of these kinds of appeals'. The cost is front loaded. They support that assertion with an article from the Florida Lakeland Ledger.

This paragraph, from the www.fadp.org web site, offers three link that support their 'cost is prohibitive' position.

According to the Miami Herald, it costs 2 to 6 times as much to kill one person than to incarcerate for life. (3.2 million versus $750,000 in Florida). This cost is weighted UP FRONT - in the initial trial, not in the appeals process as so many believe.

Let's see.........(3,200,000 - 750,000) = 2,450,000 = difference per case.

2,450,000 * 58 cases = 142,100,000 = a far cry from

1,000,000,000 = money well spent, IMO

Martial Tucker said:
Let's see.........(3,200,000 - 750,000) = 2,450,000 = difference per case.

2,450,000 * 58 cases = 142,100,000 = a far cry from

1,000,000,000 = money well spent, IMO

The logic of this mathematics exercise ignores the more than 300 additional capital cases in Florida. Some of those cases will eventually lead to execution, which, will, of course, drive down the cost-per-execution.

michaeledward said:
The logic of this mathematics exercise ignores the more than 300 additional capital cases in Florida. Some of those cases will eventually lead to execution, which, will, of course, drive down the cost-per-execution.

Just using the numbers that you provided......

Also, it's funny how the "anti-capital punishment" people can delay an execution on the notion that lethal injection might cause pain, then cite extra costs involved in capital punishment after they have caused much of the extra costs through their incessant delaying efforts.

Jonathan Randall said:

Yeah, that is amazing. I see where some people come from though. Why execute someone if the chance is out there that they might be innocent. However, that is not the case with every single inmate. If it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the guy is guilty and is sentenced to death, then just do it! Why prolong it with appeal after appeal, after....

Mike

Martial Tucker said:
Just using the numbers that you provided......

Also, it's funny how the "anti-capital punishment" people can delay an execution on the notion that lethal injection might cause pain, then cite extra costs involved in capital punishment after they have caused much of the extra costs through their incessant delaying efforts.

I also provided a link to the organization the produced those numbers.

I have also given links to the cost argument that show the costs are 'front-loaded' more than appeal based.

MJS said:
Yeah, that is amazing. I see where some people come from though. Why execute someone if the chance is out there that they might be innocent. However, that is not the case with every single inmate. If it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the guy is guilty and is sentenced to death, then just do it! Why prolong it with appeal after appeal, after....

Mike
I agree with this. While it is only necessary to prove guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" to incarcerate, to me, that is not a high enough degree of certainty to end a person's life. I am all for capital punishment in cases of virtual certainty, where there is video, multiple unrelated eyewitnesses, DNA, or some other incontrovertible evidence. Doesn't matter how sensational or heinous the murder was. Murder is murder.

If the evidence is "beyond a reasonable doubt" but not absolutely indisputable, lock them up and throw away the key, and let the lawyers continue to look for a "reasonable doubt", if they wish. If the evidence is clear cut and indisputable, execute immediately.

Is any thing that causes pain to be considered cruel or unusual punishment now?

How about just using a shotgun blast to the skull then? No pain there.

michaeledward said:
I also provided a link to the organization the produced those numbers.

I have also given links to the cost argument that show the costs are 'front-loaded' more than appeal based.
If we're dealing with this case, as the title of the article suggests, we'd save money by executing him now. It's the continued stalling that is racking up the bill. Had they executed the parasite this last time, the tab would stop clicking up, and we could mark the account 'CLOSED'.

Back