An Aikidoka's controversial journey into MMA: Is it helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of makes sense - but I'd have a hard time believing it's any more "no touch" than a tree can perform ;)

Maybe it'd work within defined rules of engagement - but would it still work if you were allowed to brush it aside and punch/kick him?
Agreed. And it wasn’t even that I was not allowed to respond - he just invited me to step in and attack. It was a well-calculated technique that produces an apparently predictable response in the dojo. I doubt the flinch response is as predictable in a fight.

Which you virtually cant do. Unless you pick an ex Aikidoka. Otherwise they can't spar.

I may get access to a guy due to a hugly convoluted grading issue we have with jits at the moment. Paul cal may be doing our jits gradings who is also Aikido.

He trains out of Townsville which is 300km away.

Aikidoka do spar but not as you guys think of it

MMA also has techniques that have a high risk of breaking joints. The art where most of those joint breaking techniques come from is Bjj, and Bjj practitioners are also fully capable of fighting or neutralizing someone without snapping their limbs. I'm also aware that Aikido has plenty of locks and holds that require no wrist or arm snapping, so why can't they do those instead of doing "teH DeAdly" techniques?

Or just hit the position and let go. Like heel hooks.

So if it does, why can't it give you non-destructive methods to neutralize an opponent in a controlled environment?

It does lol .... how you apply it is your choice ..........you can do Hiji waza without breaking but you can and break if you have to/want to

So if it does, why can't it give you non-destructive methods to neutralize an opponent in a controlled environment?

go have a look and read up about that course and I again say why would it be taught if it teaching things that do not work ?

Well, Tomiki guys have this "shomen ate" technique where they push on your face/chin, making your head roll back so that you fall backwards (IIRC it also exists in Yoshinkan and sumo guys use similar principles all the time). Gerry might have experienced a version of this where he flinched before making contact, maybe because the angle was unexpected.
As explained to me, this technique depends upon that flinch, and not upon any contact. The flinch does more or less what the technique you’re describing does. These guys used very gentle touch in their techniques. It was impressive what they could do so softly, though I have my doubts about the ability to use it in a fight.

I had a look on youtube. Yeah, look it would definately take some commitment.

And you don't just turn up either you enrol they will look at you and then they will make up their minds if you can undertake the course .....and it is a sealed course the public can't come and join in when they want or choose lol

In that clip, his opponent just got back up from the ground and didnot have proper grips on him. If they stand face to face, it will be very difficult to move 45 degree behind his opponent.

In the following clip, he moves in under his opponent's right arm. I find this to be very difficult to do in tournament.

That’s rather the point. He saw the opportunity and took it.

Which is not going to help if I throw on a pair of MMA gloves and tell the guy to wrist lock me.

And his attempt at entry was ..............even if he had of made the entry and thought crap he coulda at least followed on but nope he backed right out ....but as I said he had lost that before he even went in and the bell went ding

And you don't just turn up either you enrol they will look at you and then they will make up their minds if you can undertake the course .....and it is a sealed course the public can't come and join in when they want or choose lol

Yeah. look probably not at Tiger team tryout level either.

And his attempt at entry was ..............even if he had of made the entry and thought crap he coulda at least followed on but nope he backed right out ....but as I said he had lost that before he even went in and the bell went ding

Yeah but he hasn't been trained in fundemental basics. You get that live timing from sparring.

Which he was told by MMA guy. He had to train solid MMA for a few years to get functionally good and then would be able to incorporate the Aikido.

Agreed. And it wasn’t even that I was not allowed to respond - he just invited me to step in and attack. It was a well-calculated technique that produces an apparently predictable response in the dojo. I doubt the flinch response is as predictable in a fight.

This is actually something I'm trying to work on, in reverse...

Use the flinch, don't fight against it.

I've seen a lot of people trying to overcome the flinch reflex, to basically not react in that way so they can choose to do something else.

I think it's faster to keep the flinch, it's fast by itself so why not use that and expand on it?

It's hardly my original idea, but it seems logical to me.

go have a look and read up about that course and I again say why would it be taught if it teaching things that do not work ?

Thats backwards

You teach things because they work.

They don't work because you are teaching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back