An Aikidoka's controversial journey into MMA: Is it helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does lol .... how you apply it is your choice ..........you can do Hiji waza without breaking but you can and break if you have to/want to

Okay, so again; What aspect of a controlled environment (like a ring) gives an Aikidoka a disadvantage?

Yeah but he hasn't been trained in fundemental basics. You get that live timing from sparring.

Which he was told by MMA guy. He had to train solid MMA for a few years to get functionally good and then would be able to incorporate the Aikido.

yup and hence I said he had lost before he went in .....and not just on the physical level either but mentally he shot himself and hey two hits against and he was on a hiding to zero

not once did I even see him even try he had lead in his feet and any spirit he has was left well somewhere else

Okay, so again; What aspect of a controlled environment (like a ring) gives an Aikidoka a disadvantage?

Where is the ring coming into it ? it neither an advantage or disadvantage ...what is giving you that idea or are you basing that on the vid ?

Thats backwards

You teach things because they work.

They don't work because you are teaching them.

was being snarky lol....they teach it cause it does work and outta all the arts in japan it that course that was designed for the riot boys that still stands ... that says something ... as if what they were teaching didn't work why is it still going

Where is the ring coming into it ? it neither an advantage or disadvantage ...what is giving you that idea or are you basing that on the vid ?

That's what I was talking about when you jumped into the conversation. The argument was that Aikido underperforms in a ring environment with rules because Aikido has dangerous techniques. My counter argument is that several martial arts (including MMA) have dangerous techniques. So, we're back to the original question; Why is Aikido at a disadvantage in a controlled environment?

That's what I was talking about when you jumped into the conversation. The argument was that Aikido underperforms in a ring environment with rules because Aikido has dangerous techniques. My counter argument is that several martial arts (including MMA) have dangerous techniques. So, we're back to the original question; Why is Aikido at a disadvantage in a controlled environment?

As I jumped in I will jump out ok lol

it is not at a disadvantage you have preconceived ideas so that is that

I will say something again go actually try it in an Aikido dojo .... and when you are asked to attack go for it and see what happens (but at least pick a yondan and above )

Also when you posted that website not all in there is true just for your info

and I am still waiting for you to answer the first question I asked you ......which was do you think the Aikikai is the trad form of Aikido?

I will say something again go actually try it in an Aikido dojo .... and when you are asked to attack go for it and see what happens (but at least pick a yondan and above )

If you do that, please bring a friend and post it to YouTube!

You might get this idea ....when the uke grabs and he gets hold ....you have already lost and are in effect playing catch up

Which begs the question;why get ahold of them at all when you have the power to roll your hands over and have them flip onto their buts without even touching them?

was being snarky lol....they teach it cause it does work and outta all the arts in japan it that course that was designed for the riot boys that still stands ... that says something ... as if what they were teaching didn't work why is it still going

Sorry you want me to guess?

Maybe it works. Maybe the guy who runs the training for the riot squad has no clue.

Or has their own filters.

Or maybe the riot squad doesn't get it to the sort of engagements that really need good hand to hand.

Maybe police are basically disposable and the course was cheaper.

Why do people buy health supplements if they don't work?

opening for "kotegaeshi" or "Hiji waza" ...when the "uke" grabs
Do we always have to use Japanese term in MA discussion? I have tried very hard not to use Chinese term. For example, I have always used

- "Chinese wrestling" instead of "Shuai Chiao".
- "Single leg" instead of "Kou".
- "Double legs" instead of "Lou".
- "Hip throw" instead of "Wen".
- "Leg lift" instead of "Tiao".

Last edited:

I have preconceived notions based on evidence. However, the evidence isn't conclusive which is why I'm continuing to ask questions and not make declarative statements. Now, Gpseymour and another poster have provided a pretty good argument that actually supports the evidence I've seen and experienced. Their argument is that Aikido is more akin to Yoga and Tai Chi than MMA and Bjj. Your arguments simply do not. Your argument amounts to the "you haven't seen the TRUE art" myth that pops up way too often in these conversations. In an age with video EVERYWHERE and a Martial Art as old and widespread of Aikido, the idea that there is a true variation of Aikido out there that is hidden to the outside world is utter and complete nonsense.

But we both know that isn't going to happen. Aikido isn't like MMA or Bjj where you can walk in and roll with a black belt or a senior student. In fact, given my size if I walk into an Aikido dojo wearing my Bjj gi and challenge the sensei, they'll probably ask me to leave, and when I refuse, they'll call the cops. On the other hand, I don't think that a Bjj school would mind if an Aikido black belt wanted to roll with the owner or senior instructor. In fact, they'll probably welcome it and get the video camera ready. Bjj culture is all about challenges, especially when more traditional arts come knocking.

What wasn't true?

MMA is a sport.

Aikido has been around for thousands of years.

Today's MMA fighters are not magically tougher than every ancient martial artist or warrior

Getting angry, aggressive and running in trying to punch someone's head off only works in a ring, when life is not on the line, and no death strikes are allowed. Its like running into battle with your balls on your face. It's easy to beat someone up when they're not allowed to simply end you, and if you're sure they're not going to be using any environmental weapons or whatever they may be carrying. Masters of Aikido could take down Samurai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back