Why I shouldn't be a blue belt

I wrote some time ago in some thread that receiving a belt before it's time (at least in your own mind) can act as a catalyst to try harder to "grow" into your belt and meet your self-imposed standard. This happened to me when I first got 5th dan.
Eh, I just show up and have fun. There is no proving myself when all the other blue belts are better than me.

Exhibit R

Today a purple belt choked me with his pelvis.

Exhibit S
I told one of the upper belts that I think my problem is that I don't have tattoos. Everyone who smashes me has tattoos. Therefore, I should get a tattoo.

To prove me wrong, he starts listing all the 12-15-year-olds who smash me.

Exhibit S
I told one of the upper belts that I think my problem is that I don't have tattoos. Everyone who smashes me has tattoos. Therefore, I should get a tattoo.

To prove me wrong, he starts listing all the 12-15-year-olds who smash me.
And it is Not the tattoo bro!

Exhibit T
Today, rolling with another blue belt, he got me in a mounted triangle. His drawstring went up my nose.

Exhibit U
Today, rolling with a kid, going for an armbar. When I broke his defensive grip, I smacked myself in the face with his hand.

Sidebar about about this kid. I say "kid", he's 150 lb., so he's within the realm of going hard against. Yesterday, he was making bald jokes at my expense. Later, I saw him rolling with a bald black belt. I yelled, "COACH! HE WAS MAKING BALD JOKES EARLIER!" Poor kid got a clinic put on him.

Let the record show that he had said, "I can see my reflection!" when looking at my head.

Exhibit T
Today, rolling with another blue belt, he got me in a mounted triangle. His drawstring went up my nose.

Exhibit U
Today, rolling with a kid, going for an armbar. When I broke his defensive grip, I smacked myself in the face with his hand.

Sidebar about about this kid. I say "kid", he's 150 lb., so he's within the realm of going hard against. Yesterday, he was making bald jokes at my expense. Later, I saw him rolling with a bald black belt. I yelled, "COACH! HE WAS MAKING BALD JOKES EARLIER!" Poor kid got a clinic put on him.

Let the record show that he had said, "I can see my reflection!" when looking at my head.

EXIBIT V.
snitch.

Exhibit W

I was pulling my opponent's sleeve.
Opponent broke my grip.
I smacked myself in the face.

Exhibit X

I went for an arm-in guillotine choke...without the headlock.

Latest Discussions

Back