To blade or not to blade...

Originally posted by Crazy Chihuahua
I have trained with many different types of weapons, both traditional and contemporary, and have found that most weapons of similar size or basic shape can be used interchangably, so long as you don't try to change the laws of physics by attempting to stab someone with a flashlight or something like that. Using a weapon with the same technique as empty hands is a more difficult and dangerous undertaking. It can be done, of course, and it brings a special kind of joy to be training and graft a knife into a regular technique and after, think, "wow, if this was real, i would have sliced you up pretty bad man!" :samurai:
Kenpo IS an empty hand art. But kenpo is a weapons art. It is what you make it and you are what it makes you.
Train hard.

I've seen Kanzen Kenpo's knife work. It's a joke. You guys have no clue and a first year filipino arts practitioner would eat you alive.

EPAK guys know that you have to change the rules when a knife is involved. Somehow you guys left that part out when you re-arranged EPAK.

Luckily there are smart ex-Kanzen guys who are going out and learning knifework outside their system. Something that you guys never did before, go outside your system.

Originally posted by Sifu DangeRuss
..."Those who danced were thought to be quite insane....by those who couldn't hear the music..."....

well then don't let me interrupt your's and crazy c's tango.:D

Kanzen Kenpo's knife work

Kanzen is not primarily a knife art, so how would you expect me to survive a knife fight with an artist trained in a Fiilipino art based on knifework? He's training almost exclusively with weapons, I only have to be able to use one I've taken from another guy.
A smart fighter tries to avoid an opponent with a weapon anyway, hopefully, I'll never have to take a knife from an attacker and I won't ever have to use our knife techniques. They are based on basic principles of our art, modified JUST ENOUGH to accomodate the weapon, why learn a whole new art for a small part of the whole of your training when you can try to get better at what you already do? I don't understand the go-get-a-black-belt-in-14-different-arts mentality.
And please stop trying to cut down my art because you don't like my instructor, I'm getting really sick of it.

It's not only the shape and size of the weapon, but its weight. I've never trained with blades, but I have played tennis, and there's a huge difference playing with a raquet or another because of its weight, even though the technique was there and the game was the same... So I can't imagine those little adjustments you are talking about.

My 2 cents

This has nothing to do with my personal feelings towards your instructor. The knife work of Kanzen I have seen breaks many rules of knife work. This not your fault. But if you ever get a chance you ought to go check out some knife seminars and apply them to what you know and make the changes needed to make yourself safe.

I agree that kanzen is an empty hand art. I also say that Kanzen guys are a bit ahead of the FMA's in actual physical confrontation weaponless. But if you try and use what you take away from an FMA guy, if you get it away, you'll find yourself in trouble trying to use it. Your basics will get you into trouble.

I put together a police knife and gun defensive tactics seminar last year in town and the guy who came in ate everyone alive with the knife. It's scary.

If you have any info on upcoming knife seminars in the London area, I'd be interested to hear about them.

Zach Whitson, a 6th degree under Huk Planas in Kenpo will be in town this year I believe. He's also a guru in Pekiti Tersia knife arts. He's the guy I brought in. He understand both Kenpo and knife arts and how they can mix. He'll rock your world and make your legs shake.

keep me posted and hopefully I'll be able to attend.

Originally posted by Kirk
I'm just a purple belt, so I reserve the right to change my opinions after I actually learn something :D

Kirk, my man that is absolutely brilliant.

Can I use it, pleeeeease?

--Dave

:asian: (I'm not worthy!!)

Originally posted by Crazy Chihuahua
Not as a person, but as an artist, for all the reasons you just stated, because there are rules and priciples and methods. But it is adaptable and changable to meet the needs of the user and the situatution, i.e. "tailoring"

Only so long as you stay within the fixed principles and concepts. No matter how much we tailor Kenpo or Kempo to suit our particular preferences, we still have to keep within these guidelines or it just won't work.
--Dave

:asian:

Latest Discussions

Back