Return to some old styles...

Yes, it's more difficult to train "not moving" even though it sounds easier. First, one can practice rooting by using something like karate's sanchin kata which strengthens the core structure as one will need a strong base the way the hub of a wheel supports the spokes.

Since we are not stepping to evade the attack, it must be deflected. Techniques that "ward off" must be used as you highlighted in your #1. But I don't see why your #2,3,4 or 5 can't be employed as well. If your base is strong, can't these be done effectively while the feet are stationary without stepping? Again, sanchin trains how to do this, in part.

The way we deal with this is not so much by "rooting" or "deflecting," although in some cases these methods are used...

The Chinese word used to mean "dissolve force" is "化劲" (huà jìn). This term refers to the skill of neutralizing.

In Taiji, the focus is more on what is called "化意" (huà yì). The word can be broken down into two parts: "化" (huà), which means to transform, dissolve, or neutralize, and "意" (yì), which means intent or intention. Together, "化意" refers to the concept of transforming or neutralizing an opponent's intent.

n Taiji practice, this concept is essential as it involves recognizing and responding to an opponent's intention before it manifests into physical movement. By understanding and neutralizing the opponent's intent, a Taiji practitioner can prevent an attack from fully developing and maintain control of the interaction.

This requires a high level of sensitivity and awareness, allowing the practitioner to effectively diffuse the opponent's energy and redirect it harmlessly.

Using this, very little to no stepping is necessary, although it might take a while before it's developed enough for use outside of training and development.

Last edited:
These are just other ways of saying "stay at the center." Doesn't describe how to practice it as KFW is asking.
In my school, we train "hold on the ground" by not allowing to move your feet. No matter how strong that your opponent's attack may be, you cannot move back even 1 inch (you can't even raise one leg). This training is good to develop strong well to "protect your territory". Since you cannot lift your leg to escape your opponent's foot sweep. You can only turn your shin bone to against it. This will force you to develop a strong rooting against foot sweep. This is just "common sense", I don't understand why some MA system (such as Taiji) wants to make a great deal about it. There is only good MA and bad MA. There is no such thing as "internal" MA and external MA.

A friend of mine had a workshop and spent 2 hours on this single subject. There was no partner reaction involved in that workshop. Without referencing opponent, I just don't know how anybody can develop/test this solo without partner.

Last edited:
There was a video of Benny Urquidez demonstrating some techniques of holding your ground that were excellent. I forget the thread it was on.

Yes, it's more difficult to train "not moving" even though it sounds easier. First, one can practice rooting by using something like karate's sanchin kata which strengthens the core structure as one will need a strong base the way the hub of a wheel supports the spokes.
🙂

In Taiji, there is a practice called push hands.

"Not moving" refers to fixed step push hands.

As practiced by some, the purpose of the training has been lost, focusing on the competitive aspect of winning. One can look at it as a training method to understand how to hold your ground, with a higher level of sensitivity being the focus.

In Taiji, the focus is more on what is called "化意" (huà yì). The word can be broken down into two parts: "化" (huà), which means to transform, dissolve, or neutralize, and "意" (yì), which means intent or intention. Together, "化意" refers to the concept of transforming or neutralizing an opponent's intent.

The sensitivity is such that "4 ounces" is used as a metaphor for the contact pressure it works off of.

Last edited:
In Taiji, there is a practice called push hands.
Not moving = fixed step push hands
In Taiji PH, if you grab on your opponent's arms, the PH process is interrupted. In fighting, if you grab on your opponent's arms, you don't need any sensitivity after that.

I call this principle as "octopus". When octopus wraps around you, the term "sensitivity" has no meaning.

octopus.jpg

Last edited:
1727125794880.png

nice 👍

Now, think about if the shark was able to shrink in size before the octopus could secure a solid grip. This illustrates what we mean by sensitivity. The question one should ask is: sensitive to what? It cannot be physical pressure, because by then it's already too late.

There is a word "shun" referring to shrinking or reducing the size of the body, which is "縮" (suō). This term implies contraction or drawing in, which aligns with the concept of making one's body smaller or reducing its profile to avoid or neutralize an opponent's force or attack.

Last edited:
In Taiji PH, if you grab on your opponent's arms, the PH process is interrupted. In fighting, if you grab on your opponent's arms, you don't need any sensitivity after that.

I call this principle as "octopus". When octopus wraps around you, the term "sensitivity" has no meaning.

View attachment 31742

This is an example of what I call "entanglement." It's a great way t'o neutralize an opponent's superiority. Not the same as a boxing clinch as offensive opportunities still exist. I've used this tactic a number of times and found there is some risk of getting entangled and unbalanced yourself. You need a strong stance and structure when you're tied up with the opponent.

View attachment 31743

Now, think about if the shark was able to shrink in size before the octopus could secure a solid grip. This illustrates what we mean by sensitivity. The question one should ask is: sensitive to what? It cannot be physical pressure, because by then it's already too late.
We all know that if I can run faster than you, none of your MA skill will work on me.

The moment that push hand is engaged, wrist grabbing is hard to escape.

Taiji_PH.gif

This is an example of what I call "entanglement." It's a great way t'o neutralize an opponent's superiority. Not the same as a boxing clinch as offensive opportunities still exist. I've used this tactic a number of times and found there is some risk of getting entangled and unbalanced yourself. You need a strong stance and structure when you're tied up with the opponent.
It's difficult to "push" your opponent away when clinch has been established.

Do Taiji people train how to avoid clinching?

dead_lock1.jpg

The moment that push hand is engaged, wrist grabbing is hard to escape.

In my experience, the attempt to grab is preceded by the intent to grab. If one can grab the other person, it means that person is not sensitive enough yet.

Back