Qi Explained

If Qi has nothing to do with:

- punching on your opponent's face,
- kicking on your opponent's body,
- locking your opponent's elbow,
- taking your opponent down,
- choking your opponent out on the ground,

then why should you care about it?

There are so many valuable things to train in MA. Is Qi that important on your training list?

Today, I'll be more interested to make sure that I can still do my "front toes kick, front heel kick, roundhouse kick, side kick" combo over and over. By repeating my drill, I can maintain my power, balance, flexibility, proper breathing, and health. I truly have no time to worry about Qi at all. Will I worry about Qi sometime in the future? I truly don't think so.

Last edited:
Another one of these? Well you seem to be a supporting member so I'll give it a shot I guess.

Qi is something that is part of an advanced training system found in some martial arts, notably Chinese internal arts. Some other arts are aware of chi but might not really use it, so they won't have a good set of definitions or information surrounding it. So your opinion is a bit suspect, because you are basically just saying you're uneducated on the matter. It's not an attack, it's true -- you're saying there's no evidence -- not that you investigated it (ex. got lineage in bagua or xingyi) and after going through the training you know it's fake. You are simply operating from a position of no information.

Chi is not something you can just pick up and use. It's part of a martial arts tradition. If you are not a part of that tradition, it is strange that you would want to start telling people what is inside it.

Given all that I would say, don't worry about Chi, even most tai chi people don't know what it is, sad to say.
I haven’t investigated the Loch Ness Monster, Relativity, quantum mechanics, but others have and I rely on their dispassionate work to make value judgements on these phenomenon otherwise everyone would be reinventing the wheel everyday. You build on previous research.

There is no objective evidence for the existence of Qi/Chi/Ki. The great James Randi offers a large cash reward for anyone who can demonstrate these kinds of effects under laboratory conditions. It has never been claimed.

There is no objective evidence for Qi/Chi/Ki just as there’s no evidence for the existence of ghosts, ghouls, telekinesis, telepathy etc, only subjective reports of such as…”oh yes I saw it demonstrated on a stage 39years ago.” “…oh I can feel it in between my hands” and subjective evidence is not credible.

Being very generous, Qi/Chi/Ki is the advantageous use of the levers of biomechanics, the experimenter effect and participant bias.

Last edited:
Back