Martial arts shouldn't take years to learn.

Most of you men on here lack empathy. You don't take into consideration that I don't think like you do, & that I think on an emotional level.

That's the difference between men & women. It's not in my biology to be able to explain in logical terms the things that I feel or experience. I express it through emotion, not on the bloody Internet. In fact, it only frustrates me. You ALL frustrate me.

It would be a big mistake to assume everyone on here is male.

Tarrycat, where are you from in South Africa?

Okay let's take this calmly and quietly.

Well, I'm not a woman that likes to be controlled. Protected, yes. Controlled, no. My father was controlling enough, so it stems from my childhood. I'm a complete rebel now.

No one likes being controlled. However no one on here is trying to control you, people are certainly disagreeing with you but that is part and parcel of what happens in debates. this place is a little different form many sites, here if you make a statement you should also cite your proof for thinking what you do. It's perhaps a bit more academic in that way but it helps us all learn.

A MAN of true integrity supports others, he provides, he helps others grow, he doesn't compromise his standards, he doesn't look down upon others... That's what enviable leadership is to me. I don't like people in who think they're better than others.

I don't know what 'enviable' leadership is but I can tell you no one who has posted on here thinks they are better than anyone else, I think you are reading far too much into what you think you are seeing.

Someone who goes out of their way to make another person feel insignificant, IS insecure to me. It's a horrible character trait & a BIG turn off coming from a man.

No one is trying to make you or anyone else feel insignificant.

Most of you men on here lack empathy. You don't take into consideration that I don't think like you do, & that I think on an emotional level.

How are we supposed to know how you think? You may think on an emotional level, not all women do however so please don't go down the road that men are picking on you because you are female. Many women can think very logically ( and many men can't) and explain things perfectly well without having a meltdown because they can't make themselves understood. I would suggest you can't explain it because you don't understand it. this has nothing to do with gender.

That's the difference between men & women. It's not in my biology to be able to explain in logical terms the things that I feel or experience. I express it through emotion, not on the bloody Internet. In fact, it only frustrates me. You ALL frustrate me

No, this is personal to you, please don't lump all women into this 'thinking emotionally' rubbish, there's nothing in women's brains that mean they can only feel things but not explain them. This is your issue, not women's, the frustration you feel is your inability to express yourself for whatever reason. perhaps because English isn't your first language? Perhaps because what you are trying to explain to us hasn't been explained to you properly which is what I suspect. I think it sounds very powerful and wonderful when the instructor is speaking to his enthralled students but when it comes to the students actually understanding and being able to explain it, it's just not there.

I am not picking on you but trying to get over to you that perhaps as a new student you aren't experienced enough to know that what your instructor is telling you isn't only valid (probably) for what he teaches, it's not valid for all styles, not even the ones from Japan.

Take a deep breath and focus on what the real problem is.

I never referred to anything as being "mystic", until someone else brought it up. What I DID do, is mention the Godai. That's what I did. I tried to explain what lies behind all the "mysticism" - if THAT is what people who know absolutely nothing about the art would like to view it as. My purpose was never to make anything seem unrealistic, until someone else gave it that impression.

Read my very first comment on this thread. It AAAAAALLLLLLLL escalated from there.

If the readers were anything like me, they would read on to avoid any confusion & to educate themselves.

(So, if you're reading this thread, READ ON, DON'T STOP).

In any event what you seem to be explaining is your teacher can do whatever task with more finesse because he has spent a long time doing it.

Which is as aplicable to kata as it is to dropping people on their head.

So I dont have an issue with your point.

For the record, I didn't realize that Terrycat was a woman until she made me abundantly clear of that. Sort of like how she didn't realize that at least one of the men she was calling out is...in fact...also a woman.

All that said, I will apologize, if what I typed made you feel that I was bullying you or trying to belittle you. It was not my intention, nor what was in my heart.

I will say that none of my students are on the internet telling Wing Chun sifus and si-gungs about Wing Chun. I would strongly disapprove of them doing so and would have no qualms about expressing that to them in ways that made them very uncomfortable. It is my responsibility to do so. You're not my student, so I was instead trying to politely suggest that you take a step back and consider that all of that time you spent trying to explain your system to experts, you could have been listening to them instead. I'm also not your teacher, nor do I know anything about the system you study, so you're free to disregard anything I say entirely. It's all good.

Not a male/female thing. A traditional martial arts thing. In Chinese and Japanese systems, there is rank and hierarchy. I'm sure there is in your dojo and there certainly is in the community at large.

hey never express an opinion
Iwo no mi....Miyamoto Niten

Marobashi no michi.....Yagyu sekishusai

There im sure everyone understand now.:confused:

Musashi's description of Iwo no mi describes a stance as being the "body of a rock" To derive immovable power from a very low stance. This can be seen in Sumo. Those that practice his school can adhere to this theory. But.............. it was written for his students.

But it was not just in kenjutsu attiude. It can also be seen in Western arts. Classical shools dont grade. That's what makes em 'classical'. Those that profess to do classical arts and grade are usually a made up mish-mash.

Japanese do tests. They even test for 10 minutes after a school day. Japanese sit, shut up. They neven ever ask questions and listen. So how do you find out if they absorbed what you taught them? Tests/gradings. It's a Japanese education thing!

carta_30.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, that's not as much male/female as a communication style. My wife is far more logical than I am (and, yet, more apt to react emotionally, except at sad movies, where I'm always the one who cries).

I believe that your wife & I are two separate individuals. Some women are more in tune with their emotions. I struggle a lot to express myself over texting; which is why I avoid it.

I rarely make sense to men when I use any social media platform.

That's just me.

I believe that your wife & I are two separate individuals. Some women are more in tune with their emotions. I struggle a lot to express myself over texting; which is why I avoid it.

I rarely make sense to men when I use any social media platform.

That's just me.

You make perfect sense to all of us when you write, except when you tried to explain what your instructor has been teaching you in regards to the elements. As I explained I believe this is because he is explaining things in a quasi mystical way instead of in plain terms, so it's not your lack of understanding that is at fault but his explanations being over complicated. He may have told you, believing it to be true, that it's a common thought in Japan and Japanese martial arts when it's not as shown by posters from Japan as well as those who have been training martial arts fro decades in Japanese (and Okinawan styles which is a whole other conversation).

I find that blaming things on a male/female divide as well as blaming men for not understanding women is weak frankly. I have spent years fighting for female equality and have been in situations where I've had to fight hard to prove I can do a job/task as well as any man, I've had numerous comments about women being 'emotional' and therefore unable to do certain things (boxing was one thing) and I don't like that card being pulled here because you feel they are picking on you. They didn't know until you mentioned it that you were female, they treated you as an equal, as a poster not a male or female. to whinge now that you are an emotional female who needs looking after is a betrayal of every woman who has fought hard to be treated as an equal. I'm sorry if that comes across as harsh, I'm not looking to belittle you or bully you, just to explain that on here you will be seen as a poster who loves martial arts, not as a male or female. You didn't realise I was female nor that we have posters from all around the world including Japan, we have well respected experts in their respective martial arts styles here who have studied for decades. When you pass on what your instructor has told you then we do read it and five on our opinions. Often though it's not an opinion though but actual facts. You can take it as it's offered or you can read into an attack on you ( personal attacks are banned on here btw). We do have some posters who are inclined to be aggressive but you can ignore them if you want ( there's a button for that) or employ gleefully an arsenal of sarcasm at them or jokes, they work well. Just remember every time you get a laugh out of a bad situation you've won!

Odd, I didn't even catch that. Is that the word in Afrikaans? I've been exposed to Afrikaans from time to time, and have never picked up even a single word of it (odd for me - I usually pick up bits of languages).

No, the Afrikaans word is "Autokraties" - I was very tired, so it made sense to me at that time to type "autocrative" after the word "authoritative" :D - that word doesn't even exist... :shamefullyembarrased:. I was supposed to be sleeping by the time I posted it. :happy::dead:

No, the Afrikaans word is "Autokraties" - I was very tired, so it made sense to me at that time to type "autocrative" after the word "authoritative" :D - that word doesn't even exist... :shamefullyembarrased:. I was supposed to be sleeping by the time I posted it. :happy::dead:

The time difference between posters on here can be a problem sometimes. I can get into a great conversation and end up not going to bed until the early hours while others here are having their lunch!

You make perfect sense to all of us when you write, except when you tried to explain what your instructor has been teaching you in regards to the elements. As I explained I believe this is because he is explaining things in a quasi mystical way instead of in plain terms, so it's not your lack of understanding that is at fault but his explanations being over complicated. He may have told you, believing it to be true, that it's a common thought in Japan and Japanese martial arts when it's not as shown by posters from Japan as well as those who have been training martial arts fro decades in Japanese (and Okinawan styles which is a whole other conversation).

I find that blaming things on a male/female divide as well as blaming men for not understanding women is weak frankly. I have spent years fighting for female equality and have been in situations where I've had to fight hard to prove I can do a job/task as well as any man, I've had numerous comments about women being 'emotional' and therefore unable to do certain things (boxing was one thing) and I don't like that card being pulled here because you feel they are picking on you. They didn't know until you mentioned it that you were female, they treated you as an equal, as a poster not a male or female. to whinge now that you are an emotional female who needs looking after is a betrayal of every woman who has fought hard to be treated as an equal. I'm sorry if that comes across as harsh, I'm not looking to belittle you or bully you, just to explain that on here you will be seen as a poster who loves martial arts, not as a male or female. You didn't realise I was female nor that we have posters from all around the world including Japan, we have well respected experts in their respective martial arts styles here who have studied for decades. When you pass on what your instructor has told you then we do read it and five on our opinions. Often though it's not an opinion though but actual facts. You can take it as it's offered or you can read into an attack on you ( personal attacks are banned on here btw). We do have some posters who are inclined to be aggressive but you can ignore them if you want ( there's a button for that) or employ gleefully an arsenal of sarcasm at them or jokes, they work well. Just remember every time you get a laugh out of a bad situation you've won!

My intention was not to blame men in any way. I was expressing my emotions at that time, but I could've conveyed it better by giving the message a playful undertone. It was sort of like banter in my mind, given the "angry" emoticon. Frustrated yes, but far from angry. Usually anger is an emotion used to cover up underlying emotions such as hurt or frustration. The message is then conveyed through aggression, instead of coming from an authentic place.

If any men felt like I was offending them, or disrespecting them, I deeply apologise for that.

I'm not at all anti-men, in fact, I do deeply respect them & love them for how unique they are.

Everyone is entitled to how they want to be treated. I have no problem with that.

I AM a highly misunderstood individual though. There is no getting away from that. However, I will try my best to be more sensible.

My teacher explains kata logically as well. He is able to explain it in various ways; but I'm the one who finds it a bit difficult to put it into words; he won't have a problem with it. As I become more experienced, I will get better at explaining everything in words.

Whenever we do some Aikido or kata that involves a lot of momentum, or locks, I'll just mention the words "Steven Seagal" & everyone will know what I'm trying to say. The word "energy" is just too diverse, I've come to realise! :hilarious:

Last edited:
It's terrible!! But I can't allow it to interfere with my daily schedule. I will end up falling asleep on the horse's back or in class. LOL. :rolleyes:
The time difference between posters on here can be a problem sometimes. I can get into a great conversation and end up not going to bed until the early hours while others here are having their lunch!

And when I need people on here to entertain me when I'm bored, somehow it's the middle of the night everywhere. :confused:

I do deeply respect them & love them for how unique they are.

Men are as individual as women, some need more training than others though :D

My teacher explains kata logically as well. He is able to explain it in various ways;

I think what he's doing though is explaining how he does it which doesn't mean that that's how it should be done in that style nor how it's done anywhere else. I wouldn't take what he says as being true for all styles or even as done by others within that style.:)

I think what he's doing though is explaining how he does it which doesn't mean that that's how it should be done in that style nor how it's done anywhere else. I wouldn't take what he says as being true for all styles or even as done by others within that style.:)[/QUOTE]

Oh goodness, no!

What works in Ninjutsu, will not necessarily (or not AT ALL) work in other Martial Arts divisions. Each one is unique on its own.

That's why I asked if the "energy" (momentum kata & all that) was applicable to all Martial Arts, I was not certain AT ALL. :confused:

Men are as individual as women, some need more training than others though :D

LOL. "Training" = perfect wording! :D

I think what he's doing though is explaining how he does it which doesn't mean that that's how it should be done in that style nor how it's done anywhere else. I wouldn't take what he says as being true for all styles or even as done by others within that style.:)

Oh goodness, no!

What works in Ninjutsu, will not necessarily (or not AT ALL) work in other Martial Arts divisions. Each one is unique on its own.

That's why I asked if the "energy" (momentum kata & all that) was applicable to all Martial Arts, I was not certain AT ALL. :confused:[/QUOTE]
I'm not certain I understand the question implicit in the last sentence (and I'm apparently too lazy to go back and look up where you originally asked it :D), so if my answer doesn't fit, that's why.

IMO, there's always some consideration of energy/momentum. Different arts look at it differently. Within Nihon Goshin Aikido, as I teach it, I could roughly group my teachings into three categories (for standing work - I'd have to think how this fits with groundwork).

There's clashing force, which I tend to think of as like when you get hit just right by a 3-foot wave at the beach. It hits you hard, but it's relaxed when it does it. This is how most striking arts seem to deliver their strikes. A leg sweep often uses this kind of force, too.

There's blending force, which I tend to think of ask like when a wave at the beach lifts you up and carries you, without hitting. This can be very smooth (a gentle swell lifts you and moves you a bit before letting your feet settle down) or rough (like when a wave catches you and tumbles you across the ocean floor before it passes). A good hip throw can have this in it. (NOTE: The smooth version of this could be seen as being like a strong wind catching a bag you're carrying, pulling you off your feet.)

Then there's dropping force, which is like someone suddenly attached a large stone to you, then let go of it. Sometimes the stone is stationary, and drops straight down (Judo's drop seoi nage is a good example of this), and sometimes it's like the rock is swinging past on a rope when it gets attached to you.

There are probably others I could come up with, but everytime I find something that doesn't fit in these three, it seems to be mostly muscular force, where I'm forcing a technique that doesn't quite fit. So, I ignore the exceptions, and use these three as guidelines. If something doesn't fit into them, I check to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I don't have much time for people who try to express their authority over others on the Internet.
As others have said, no one in this conversation was trying to belittle you or express authority over you in the sense of telling you what to do. We were trying to correct some misunderstandings you had regarding kata and ninjutsu.

Even so, it's best not to uncritically accept us as authorities. It's true that some of us have decades more experience than you have and are reasonably knowledgeable about certain topics in martial arts. However, you don't know that for sure. For all you know we could be a bunch of BS artists making stuff up or repeating something we read on an unreliable website. Even people who do have 30-40 years of experience and are highly skilled in their art can be mistaken on significant facts. At this point you don't have enough experience and background to necessarily recognize if we were telling you a bunch of nonsense under the pretense of being some sort of subject matter experts.

That doesn't mean you should just argue with the experts based on your understanding of what your teacher told you. Best thing is to find out the background of the people who are telling you things and what their sources of information are for what they are telling you. Then take each statement into consideration as a piece of potential evidence to be evaluated in the light of whatever other information you can gather.

(BTW - the same goes for information from your own teacher. You know that his physical skill level is significantly higher than your own. That doesn't necessarily mean that his information on the history of the art is correct or that he is knowledgeable on other matters besides the skills of his particular interpretation of his art. Most martial artists are not historians and many just trustingly pass on a bunch of inaccurate myths they heard from their own instructor.)

Back