Last Poster #7

This may be rule breaking slightly since the original thread was locked, but want to share an experience with american healthcare today. Spent most of the day throwing up bile, and had a number of other concerning symptoms. Eventually went to urgent care, and part of me thought it might be appendicitis (it wasn't), but a large part of my willingness to go was because I knew my insurance would cover a large portion of the costs.

If I was still at my last job, it's possible I would have just tested myself for appendicitis, and if I didn't think that was the issue, I wouldn't have gone since I couldn't afford it. Learned that lesson the hard way when I went for a single mri and ended up owing over 2k on my last insurance.

This may be rule breaking slightly since the original thread was locked, but want to share an experience with american healthcare today. Spent most of the day throwing up bile, and had a number of other concerning symptoms. Eventually went to urgent care, and part of me thought it might be appendicitis (it wasn't), but a large part of my willingness to go was because I knew my insurance would cover a large portion of the costs.

If I was still at my last job, it's possible I would have just tested myself for appendicitis, and if I didn't think that was the issue, I wouldn't have gone since I couldn't afford it. Learned that lesson the hard way when I went for a single mri and ended up owing over 2k on my last insurance.
Glad you went and that it isn’t appendicitis. Is it a flu?

glad it i was not appendicitis. Did they give a diagnosis

Irritatingly, my mental health is playing up again. I was up until 4 o' clock in the morning last night, and had to knock off work when I really didn't want to because I felt like poo warmed up.
Good call knocking off work. Please take good care of yourself brother. Stay connected with things of value to you, find time to watch funny stuff that make you chuckle and that take life less seriously, and we're here to connect and chat okay.

Good call knocking off work. Please take good care of yourself brother. Stay connected with things of value to you, find time to watch funny stuff that make you chuckle and that take life less seriously, and we're here to connect and chat okay.
Thank you <3

Glad you went and that it isn’t appendicitis. Is it a flu?

glad it i was not appendicitis. Did they give a diagnosis
No direct diagnosis. Not flu or covid, but they found multiple things concerning with my bloodwork - wbc count was high, rbc count was low, and a couple other things i don't recall. Waiting on the rest of the tests to come back currently and given some meds to take in the meantime.

No direct diagnosis. Not flu or covid, but they found multiple things concerning with my bloodwork - wbc count was high, rbc count was low, and a couple other things i don't recall. Waiting on the rest of the tests to come back currently and given some meds to take in the meantime.
A frightening situation to be in. Have you considered putting your symptoms and blood results into and AI and letting it try to diagnose you? Just a thought….

Hope all comes out fine.

It's the math.
Speaking of math, here is a math puzzle for anyone who likes this sort of thing. A story problem. If you can figure it out, I’d appreciate it.

Three guys are downtown, hitting the bars. They drink a little too much and decide to get a hotel room to sleep it off. Only place they could find was $300 per night, so they each kick in $100.

After they go up to their rooms, the guy at the front desk realizes he overcharged them. Room was only $250, so he gives the bellhop $50 and sends him up to their room. The bellhop was like, “You can’t split $50 three ways, and they’ll never know.” He decides to keep $20 as an “tip” and gives the guys each $10 back.

So if the guys kicked in $100 and got $10 back, they paid a total of $270 ($90 x 3).

The bellhop keep $20. So that’s $290.

The register at the front desk is square. So where did the missing $10 go?

Speaking of math, here is a math puzzle for anyone who likes this sort of thing. A story problem. If you can figure it out, I’d appreciate it.

Three guys are downtown, hitting the bars. They drink a little too much and decide to get a hotel room to sleep it off. Only place they could find was $300 per night, so they each kick in $100.

After they go up to their rooms, the guy at the front desk realizes he overcharged them. Room was only $250, so he gives the bellhop $50 and sends him up to their room. The bellhop was like, “You can’t split $50 three ways, and they’ll never know.” He decides to keep $20 as an “tip” and gives the guys each $10 back.

So if the guys kicked in $100 and got $10 back, they paid a total of $270 ($90 x 3).

I love all these word/number puzzles, used to share them with students all the time, so I’ll sit them out. Maybe even add some old ones later on.

Thanks for triggering my math class PTSD

Those 3 guys only spent $270. $250 for the room, $20 for the tip. $250 + $20 = $270.

Since they did not spend $300, that $10 never exists.

The problem is "The bellhop keep $20. So that’s $290."

You should subject $20 from $270 ($270 - $20 = $250), instead of adding $20 onto $270.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back