Last Poster #7

a Deux Cheveaux? Kinda like a Superman Bizarro version of an old VW Bug! I visited France once when I was a kid, around '69, and these were common. They had yellow headlights and seats that looked like lawn chairs ...you know a steel tub frame with a cloth over straps or springs. I imagine that's been changed on any that were imported and made street-legal here in the US.

The original seats:
View attachment 31240
Did not see the inside, it was going down the road at 50mph. But I was rather shocked to see one on the road here

a Deux Cheveaux? Kinda like a Superman Bizarro version of an old VW Bug! I visited France once when I was a kid, around '69, and these were common. They had yellow headlights and seats that looked like lawn chairs ...you know a steel tub frame with a cloth over straps or springs. I imagine that's been changed on any that were imported and made street-legal here in the US.

The original seats:
View attachment 31240
There’s quite a few of them in the U.K. They are very ‘springy’ because the design concept was supposed to allow a farmer and his wife to safely hold a basket of eggs while being driven over a ploughed field.

They are super cool cars. Sadly they stopped production in the late 80s. I had one, red and white. It's a very loud little car but uuuuuhhhh a convertible! Miss it. She might still be rolling around somewhere in the south of France.
BTW. They are nicknamed The Duck.

They are super cool cars. Sadly they stopped production in the late 80s. I had one, red and white. It's a very loud little car but uuuuuhhhh a convertible! Miss it. She might still be rolling around somewhere in the south of France.
BTW. They are nicknamed The Duck.
I have only seen them in movies, until last Monday. Cool little car

I remember Edward Van Halen saying he tried to get a 2CV imported into the USA, but it didn’t pass their safety laws so it wasn’t possible! He would’ve ‘Frankenstein striped’ it, I bet!

Did not see the inside, it was going down the road at 50mph. But I was rather shocked to see one on the road here
On level ground or ...downhill?
I've never seen one here before and I have no idea how he guy got it here
Don't know.

There are a couple of vehicles sold in Mexico and elsewhere that I'd love to have here in the States, but are not legally sold here and can't be licensed for safety, emissions or other (?) reasons. People can, however, get around that a couple of ways. For example, the Suzuki Jimney (an evolution of the old "Samurai") has been brought here as a strictly "off road" vehicle and then you can get a permit to make them "street legal" in some states like Arizona. I drove one briefly in Costa Rica and would love to have one here, but all in all I'm not that much of a car guy to go to all that trouble. Here's a '22 Jimney:
1719620430124.png

I could similarly imagine somebody trying to bring in an old CV2 for "offroad use" calling it a "Bizarro Baja Bug", like the French "Herbie"!

1719621067667.png

Getting that 60s-70s vibe?

Apparently another avenue for expats and dual citizens is to take an otherwise non-licensable vehicle that's licensed where they live outside the US (Mexico or Canada) and drive it into the US for up to one year. See below:

Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S.

On level ground or ...downhill?

Don't know.

There are a couple of vehicles sold in Mexico and elsewhere that I'd love to have here in the States, but are not legally sold here and can't be licensed for safety, emissions or other (?) reasons. People can, however, get around that a couple of ways. For example, the Suzuki Jimney (an evolution of the old "Samurai") has been brought here as a strictly "off road" vehicle and then you can get a permit to make them "street legal" in some states like Arizona. I drove one briefly in Costa Rica and would love to have one here, but all in all I'm not that much of a car guy to go to all that trouble. Here's a '22 Jimney:
View attachment 31250
I could similarly imagine somebody trying to bring in an old CV2 for "offroad use" calling it a "Bizarro Baja Bug", like the French "Herbie"!

View attachment 31251
Getting that 60s-70s vibe?

Apparently another avenue for expats and dual citizens is to take an otherwise non-licensable vehicle that's licensed where they live outside the US (Mexico or Canada) and drive it into the US for up to one year. See below:

Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S.
Downhill, with tailwind. My mom once nearly got herself arrested, she insisted on written proof she was going fast in her duck. Back then they had maybe 14 hp?
Mine had a whooping 24! It did break 100km/h on the flat.

Back