Last Poster #7

😳 wait. What now?
When you cut food, most (right-handed people) cut with the knife in their right hand while holding the fork in the left. Some people are too lazy to switch their fork to their dominant hand. At some point, that laziness become proper etiquette in certain groups.

When you cut food, most (right-handed people) cut with the knife in their right hand while holding the fork in the left. Some people are too lazy to switch their fork to their dominant hand. At some point, that laziness become proper etiquette in certain groups.
I believe the constant switching of implements for cutting then place the morsel into the mouth or cutting all one’s food at the very start of the meal, was deemed as cumbersome and the ham-fisted would drop their cutlery and flatware and the King and Queen would have to execute the miscreant and it all became a little ugly. So the suggestion was hold the ‘placing into mouth’ implement in the dominant hand, so as to avoid the potential of being impaled and learn to cut/pull apart the food with the left and right this avoiding the constant switching. I’ve notice people use this ‘European’ method in polite company but the casual method you describe when in private. It’s like saying ‘Good morning’ and ‘sup’ and clearly they know the casual method is not ‘right’ otherwise they’d use it even when dining with the King,Queen, Emperor or President.

It's a regional thing. Most Europeans cut with the dominant hand and hold the fork in the other. Most Westerners switch the fork back and forth.

My hands never could get the hang of chopsticks.
well..... I had no choice years ago...long before I married my wife who is from China. I use to hang out with a lot of Chinese people and I didn't want to look like the lone clumsy westerner who was eating with a fork... so I started using chopsticks

I'm very much right handed, but have always cut with my left, and fork in the right. Just feels.... right!

well..... I had no choice years ago...long before I married my wife who is from China. I use to hang out with a lot of Chinese people and I didn't want to look like the lone clumsy westerner who was eating with a fork... so I started using chopsticks
I get it. A bit of 'coerced conformity' but, it is your women so I get it.
I am an American in an area where chop sticks are seldom seen or needed, so I never had a reason or desire to use them.
Now that the 'itis' brothers are in full control of my fingers, it probably would not matter anyway.

I get it. A bit of 'coerced conformity' but, it is your women so I get it.
I am an American in an area where chop sticks are seldom seen or needed, so I never had a reason or desire to use them.
Now that the 'itis' brothers are in full control of my fingers, it probably would not matter anyway.
I learned to use chopsticks for the same reason I learned to juggle. If I ever needed to do it, I wanted to know how. There are a lot of mostly useless things I can do just because I was curious and wanted to see how it worked.

Chopsticks are a lot more useful than juggling, for what it’s worth.

I learned to use chopsticks for the same reason I learned to juggle. If I ever needed to do it, I wanted to know how. There are a lot of mostly useless things I can do just because I was curious and wanted to see how it worked.

Ohh don't speak too soon! Juggling may introduce strange and unexpected variables to the visual field and focus of the aforementioned zombies when the apocalypse arrives, thus confusing them and allowing a swift getaway. Then again chopsticks may also prove useful...

Hmm probably the wrong thread... ah well too late!

Likely, but oh the things you can do with a fork!

I have had enough of trolls, TMA vs whatever...and even MT for the moment..... going to take a short break and consider adding another trollish twit to my ignore list.... and this all happened in just a few minutes on MT this morning.....

later

Don’t forget to tell them GET OFF OF MY LAWN!

I have had enough of trolls, TMA vs whatever...and even MT for the moment..... going to take a short break and consider adding another trollish twit to my ignore list.... and this all happened in just a few minutes on MT this morning.....

later
"...another trollish twit" - Nice turn of phrase. I rather like the alliteration! :)

Just spent a week at a church workcamp with some great kids and leaders. My team's project was a challenge -- we had some leftover prefab handicapped ramp pieces and fabricated with them a full ramp. No pictures of the kids that'll share here but... this was the finished product:

Attachments

• 1719011723265.png
    1719011723265.png
    652.2 KB · Views: 4
Just spent a week at a church workcamp with some great kids and leaders. My team's project was a challenge -- we had some leftover prefab handicapped ramp pieces and fabricated with them a full ramp. No pictures of the kids that'll share here but... this was the finished product:
Well done. We are currently tasked with the first ever VBS at our church. We are doing it as an outreach at a local housing complex public community center. It has it challenges but will be very rewarding.

Latest Discussions

Back