Last Poster #7

I pleased the staff locked that thread on the Olympic Boxing controversy. In my opinion, it was the most “political” thread I’ve seen here in years.

Let’s all take a breath and think of something else to fight about.

I pleased the staff locked that thread on the Olympic Boxing controversy. In my opinion, it was the most “political” thread I’ve seen here in years.

Let’s all take a breath and think of something else to fight about.
Me too. And from the dude who was going on a while back about virtue signaling. Ridiculous.

Spent 2 weeks in Beijing, ate all sorts of Chinese food, even occasionally sipped on tea..... not one single gastritis issue.... decided to try a cup of coffee (decaf) today..... had a few sips, then thought, I better stop..... had a gastritis attack this evening..... Mrs Xue told me on the 14 hour flight back from Beijing..... "You may be an American, but you have a Chinese stomach."

I need to move closer to a good Chinatown....

The first time I took my America wife to Beijing, she asked me, "Where is the Chinatown?"

In Beijing, I asked the tricycle driver, "How much?" he said, "15 Yuan". When my wife and I stepped on the tricycle, he said, "Each." When we got off, I paid him 15 Yuan. I then said, "You can either call the police, or you can fight me right now." He took the 15 Yuan and left.

The funniest thing was when I got in line and tried to buy the museum ticket. The guy Infront of me asked, "How much?" The ticket seller said, "1 Yuan". The guy said, "It's too expensive". I pulled out 1 Yuan and tried to buy the ticket. The ticket seller said, "3 Yuan." I asked why and he said because I'm foreigner. I said, "The guy in front of me doesn't want to pay 1 Yuan and you expected me to pay 3 Yuan." I turned around and left. When I got back to my hotel, I then realized that 2 Yuan differences was only about 30 cents. It was principle and not money.

Last edited:
The first time I took my America wife to Beijing, she asked me, "Where is the Chinatown?"

In Beijing, I asked the tricycle driver, "How much?" he said, "15 Yuan". When my wife and I stepped on the tricycle, he said, "Each." When we got off, I paid him 15 Yuan. I then said, "You can either call the police, or you can fight me right now." He took the 15 Yuan and left.
tricycles are gone... but there are thousands of electric scooters..unregistered, unlicensed, and they tend to not follow traffic laws

tricycles are gone... but there are thousands of electric scooters..unregistered, unlicensed, and they tend to not follow traffic laws
I still remember back in 1980, the most expensive hotel in Beijing was about $40 a night (the local people only made 30 Yuan a month. That was less than 5 dollar).

I went to the bar and asked to have the 10 best Chinese liquid. Before I could finish the 7th drinks, I already passed out.

My 1st visited in China was very interested. Most of the Chinese cities was not even opened to the foreigner.

Last edited:
Spent 2 weeks in Beijing, ate all sorts of Chinese food, even occasionally sipped on tea..... not one single gastritis issue.... decided to try a cup of coffee (decaf) today..... had a few sips, then thought, I better stop..... had a gastritis attack this evening..... Mrs Xue told me on the 14 hour flight back from Beijing..... "You may be an American, but you have a Chinese stomach."

What your wife said to you is what I hope the family that owns the local Chinese restaurant says about me in Cantonese, when i pile tons of food on my plate, at the local Chinese buffet. I like to think this is what they say. I get it I'm a big American fella, but my stomach is ethnically chinese and I pile those all you can eat plates high, almost like a skyscraper in Hong Kong 🇭🇰 height. Sometimes my stomach commits treason to its own people and it eats sushi or pizza. He's a trader, I'm trying to convince him to see the light.

I still remember back in 1980, the most expensive hotel in Beijing was about $40 a night (the local people only made 30 Yuan a month. That was less than 5 dollar).
it was cheaper the last time I was there in 2007... but then, like now, if my wife wants to buy something, I can't go in with her, otherwise they will not give her much of a deal.....

What your wife said to you is what I hope the family that owns the local Chinese restaurant says about me in Cantonese, when i pile tons of food on my plate, at the local Chinese buffet. I like to think this is what they say. I get it I'm a big American fella, but my stomach is ethnically chinese and I pile those all you can eat plates high, almost like a skyscraper in Hong Kong 🇭🇰 height. Sometimes my stomach commits treason to its own people and it eats sushi or pizza. He's a trader, I'm trying to convince him to see the light.
I might be in Hong Kong next year

first time I was in China, after a week, I got a craving for American breakfast food.... no such problem this last time.... the hotel breakfast buffet had some American food..... but I took none of it..... I told my wife I did not fly all the way to China for American food..... and my stomach was great for 2 weeks...

I might be in Hong Kong next year

first time I was in China, after a week, I got a craving for American breakfast food.... no such problem this last time.... the hotel breakfast buffet had some American food..... but I took none of it..... I told my wife I did not fly all the way to China for American food..... and my stomach was great for 2 weeks...
I'd love to go there sometime. It seems like a really cool place from what I've seen from tv,movies and pictures. My dad has been there several times. I've personally never traveled off north America. But I want to. There's so many cool places in the world. Once my finances get right I'm going to travel the world.

First time I was in China, I felt everybody were happy (because nobody had anything). The more I visited China, the more I felt people were not happy (because somebody had something, and others don't).
How was the wealth distrubuted back then? Was everyone but government just making it, or was it like it America with different classes like middle class, upper etc?

How was the wealth distrubuted back then? Was everyone but government just making it, or was it like it America with different classes like middle class, upper etc?
The communist society has 2 classes, the people who has power (communist part) and the people who don't have power.

The capitalism society has 2 classes, the rich and the poor.

Another case of wondering why we don't have powerlines under ground. We had a bad storm yesterday and the power went out for about 5 hours. Yup, a tree fell on the lines. At least the pole stayed up, or it would have been a week.
FIVE HOURS without power. No TV, music, coffee, tea......it was dreadful. At least it cooled down a lot, so the A/C was not missed as bad.

We have introduced chaos into the house. We have two cats and brought home a rambunctious, orange kitten. One of our adult cats has warmed up to him and having fun. The other wants nothing to do with this little pest. 😂
Orange cat energy is real! There is one on my street named Cheddar Jack, he is plagued by ghost enemies and seems to have some serious substance abuse (catnip) problems.

Back