Last Poster #7

Top Fuel cars are certainly impressive, there's no doubt about it. But I've always been more a fan of the door slammer classes. My favorites are cars that can drive cross country, stop at tracks, run respectable times, and then keep driving. For my own car, I don't even change the tire pressure when I go to the track.
Do you remember the film “Vanishing Point”from a million years ago?

When we were young men we saw it at the Drive In.

Back then, at the particular Drive In that we went to, they didn’t charge by the car, they charged by the number of people IN the car. So five of us skinny guys were in the trunk of Bonneville, which was as big as a large boat back then. Five guys in a trunk and we weren’t that uncomfortable.

When that movie ended, all the cars started up, went out on the highway the Drive In was on, and burned rubber like mad men, driving as fast as they could in celebration of the coolest rebel car movie any of us had ever seen.

I was scared shipless because I do not like to drive fast. But it was how the times were back then in Boston. And Kiwolski, (character name of the driver) ruled.

I’m so thankful I survived my youth,

Top Fuel cars are certainly impressive, there's no doubt about it. But I've always been more a fan of the door slammer classes. My favorites are cars that can drive cross country, stop at tracks, run respectable times, and then keep driving. For my own car, I don't even change the tire pressure when I go to the track.
I enjoy both classes (all classes), but my favorite has always been the bikes.
Back in the day, we had a 'run what you bring' drag night at a local strip. I still remember 4-bangers getting a rolling start against other bracket cars. Good times.

Flossing my teeth last night and part of a tooth came out, not sure if it is part of a tooth, a crown or a filling.... Dentist office closed until Tuesday, I leave for California Wednesday.... well at least it doesn't hurt....yet....just feels weird.

Appointment on Tuesday, hopefully something can be done to get me through the trip

I enjoy both classes (all classes), but my favorite has always been the bikes.
Not a fan. I have seen and been involved in too many crashes not to want restraints and protection around me.
Back in the day, we had a 'run what you bring' drag night at a local strip. I still remember 4-bangers getting a rolling start against other bracket cars. Good times.
I despise bracket racing. It totally defeats the purpose of racing; making your car faster.
Our local drag strip (10 minutes from my home) is great. They operate as a non-profit with the stated purpose of eliminating or reducing street racing. To do this, they have the Friday Night Drags program. There is bracket racing (pretty much just the slow cars) as well as heads up. Those have prizes at the end of the season. If/when you're eliminated from the nights competition, you switch to Time Only and can continue to race. I go there regularly, though not consistently enough to be competitive overall. It costs about $25 for the night, and you can race as much as you like. I've often done 40-50 runs in an evening.

I could use some help from anyone who’s watched movies and TV last year, 2023.
I need to list some nominations for people to vote on in….

Film….

Outstanding Performance byMale Actor in a Leading Role.
Outstanding Performance by Female Actor in a Leading Role.

Same for Male and Female Actors in Supporting Roles.

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture.

Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy.

TV
Pretty much the same thing, both male and female in a Comedy Series, another in a Dramatic Series.

In a Television Movie. (Comedy and Drama, both.
An Ensemble in both.

Stunt Ensemble in Both.

So if there’s anything you liked, please let me know. It’s not my job to judge or pick, just to give a field for the members of SAG to vote on.

Thanks, everyone.

Not a fan. I have seen and been involved in too many crashes not to want restraints and protection around me.

I despise bracket racing. It totally defeats the purpose of racing; making your car faster.
Our local drag strip (10 minutes from my home) is great. They operate as a non-profit with the stated purpose of eliminating or reducing street racing. To do this, they have the Friday Night Drags program. There is bracket racing (pretty much just the slow cars) as well as heads up. Those have prizes at the end of the season. If/when you're eliminated from the nights competition, you switch to Time Only and can continue to race. I go there regularly, though not consistently enough to be competitive overall. It costs about $25 for the night, and you can race as much as you like. I've often done 40-50 runs in an evening.
10013500_10202665480537227_1494161012249968584_n.jpg

This was WAY back in the day. Good times.

Noticed something yesterday.
I have a place in Maine, and at the moment I am in Southern California looking at Catalina Island.
When on the coast of Maine I an in awe of he Atlantic Ocean, its power, an extreme cold, I am rather impressed by it and could look at it for hours. In California, when I see the Pacific, I instantaneously relax, and again could look at it for hours. Just wish the 2 were not so far apart. Another interesting thing about the Pacific is that I get the urge to start listening to Bob Marley, which I would never consider on the east coast

I have a place in Maine, and at the moment I am in Southern California looking at Catalina Island.
When on the coast of Maine I an in awe of he Atlantic Ocean, its power, an extreme cold, I am rather impressed by it and could look at it for hours. In California, when I see the Pacific, I instantaneously relax, and again could look at it for hours. Just wish the 2 were not so far apart. Another interesting thing about the Pacific is that I get the urge to start listening to Bob Marley, which I would never consider on the east coast
It’s the California vibe, and maybe the dispensary you visited.

I've heard similar things about Hawaii from my friends... one of my close friends goes to Hawaii as often as he can. He says that it's the only place where he feels like he can completely relax.

It's been said that it's impossible to feel depressed on a beach. Not entirely true, but it is certainly true that sunshine, warm water, and waves are relaxing.
It's also been said that antidepressants work best if taken with large amounts of water..
lapping around your feet.

The new engine is in and running, but there are some odd warnings to track down. The sensor thinks my oil level is low (it's not). The sensor is good and it's getting power, so I think it's a ground problem. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate tracking down electrical gremlins?
I'm also getting some fluctuations in fuel pressure. That needs to be sorted, because the last thing I need is for the engine to lean out under boost. I'm going to change the fuel filter and blow out the lines. Hopefully that's all it is.

Attachments

• IMG_3598.JPG
    IMG_3598.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
It's been said that it's impossible to feel depressed on a beach. Not entirely true, but it is certainly true that sunshine, warm water, and waves are relaxing.
It's also been said that antidepressants work best if taken with large amounts of water..
lapping around your feet.
True, but last time I was in Maine, I stood there in a temp of 30 degrees, windchill in the single digits, watching the waves crash on the rocks, and I was just as impressed, and in Awe. Freezing, but the same awe

The new engine is in and running, but there are some odd warnings to track down. The sensor thinks my oil level is low (it's not). The sensor is good and it's getting power, so I think it's a ground problem. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate tracking down electrical gremlins?
I'm also getting some fluctuations in fuel pressure. That needs to be sorted, because the last thing I need is for the engine to lean out under boost. I'm going to change the fuel filter and blow out the lines. Hopefully that's all it is.
Saw a perfect looking condition 1956 Porsche speedster pulling out of a parking lot

porsche-356-speedster-1600-11-1.jpg

I've heard similar things about Hawaii from my friends... one of my close friends goes to Hawaii as often as he can. He says that it's the only place where he feels like he can completely relax.
I wouldn’t go into the water in Hawaii for love nor money. The Pacific isn’t passive, not by a long shot. Scary water filled with scary things.

True, but last time I was in Maine, I stood there in a temp of 30 degrees, windchill in the single digits, watching the waves crash on the rocks, and I was just as impressed, and in Awe. Freezing, but the same awe
Given how much time I spend diving, it's probably obvious that I like the ocean. But it's a different feeling when I'm standing on the ground looking at a cold ocean, a warm ocean, or even a cave. Maybe that's just me.

You know, there are some places in Central America where they aren't far apart at all...

I wouldn’t go into the water in Hawaii for love nor money. The Pacific isn’t passive, not by a long shot. Scary water filled with scary things.
It's really not. Trust me on this. There's nothing really scary in the water. And there's (on average) less in the water around Hawaii than, say Cozumel, Curacao, or Bonaire.

This is a typical reef off Oahu.
IMG_0204.JPG

Here's one from Cozumel.
IMG_0300.JPG

Both are mostly hard coral, although Coz has more soft corals and sponges.

This is Curacao. Lots more soft coral, sponges, and swarms of critters. Very little in the way of large animals though.
PICT0156.JPG

Bonaire. The reefs are a veritable jungle. Tons of critters but, like Curacao, not many larger animals.
IMG_1559.JPG

You know, there are some places in Central America where they aren't far apart at all...
Technically, that's the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean. Not the Atlantic...

Latest Discussions

Back