How to people react to you being a martial artist?

Explaining Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, when people find out I'm a martial artist, is sometimes difficult. It can be funny as the jump around doing their movie Kung-fu interpitation, but when I tell them that we don't kick and punch at all in the style I do you really should see the blank looks they give me. I often get "What do you do then?"

I use to take karate when I was younger, and at least could demonstrate something we did in class, to kinda show what my training was like. Try that with BJJ though. I'd pretty much have to take them down to the ground and have to crank something, which obviously I don't do. I sometimes mention the Ultimate Fighting Championships because of the BJJ that is included, but that isn't really a good example of what my art is and how it is actually practiced.

Anyway, just curious how people react to you when they find you do martial arts. Do they treat you different? Do they ask you to demonstrate stuff? Do they want to fight?

How do you explain your art to someone with no Martial arts background? What parts of your arts do you emphasize?

And, do you have any good stories about these situations?

Thanks.

Speaking from my experiences with different people, I've learned to take care in who I talk to about the Martial Arts. If someone is sincere with their questions, I have no problem with answering any questions they may have. However, the ones that start to turn the conversation into a joke, I tend to avoid going into any other discussion, due to the fact that they're obviously not taking or planning on taking anything serious.

As to the second question, on talking to someone with no MA background: I'd usually talk a bit about Ed Parker (Kenpo) and Remy Presas (Modern Arnis), giving a little background on each person and talking a little about the arts. I may even go so far as to give them a visual on what each art contains. Again, this is not intended to show off, but simply to help them understand a little better.

Mike

The only thing I had to deal with there was people asking "are you any good" or "could you beat me." I always very seriously told them that I wasn't very good and I don't know who I could beat.

I too, have had those questions asked, and my reply is right on with yours. Amazing how the look on their face suddenly changes when they hear that! :)

Mike

When I was younger I used to get all those typical wise cracks from people wanting to prove something.
These days I'm pretty open about what I do. I find most people are either impressed by the fact that I compete in Kickboxing/MMA or they think I'm crazy .Here in Japan people are generally aware of what those fighting sports are about. Not many are going to want to try and take you on.
The problem is when I go out with a certain friend who feels safe to get into fights when I'm with him!
He nearly got me into a fight with a rugby team once! Heck, they would have crushed us!

I live in a small town (17,000 people).

The Moo Sul Kwan has been in town since the 1970s.

While I was coming up through the ranks just below black belt and at first dan, our TKD school was in a strip mall on our town's main drag with big glass windows.

Between that and having been assistant instructor for hundreds of kids over the years, just about everybody knows how hard we trained there.

Most people in this town have a healthy respect for Moo Sul Kwan martial arts.

Outside of town, people probably don't have a clue that I'm a martial artist as I don't really talk about it much unless I'm around my martial art friends.

I try not to tell people. Rarely does any good come of it.

When and if they do find out, I get the usual assortment of Bruce Lee impressions..shortly followed by "When are you joining the UFC?" When asked to demonstrate I usually tell them to come to class.

When asked if I'm any good, I just say that I know enough to get myself into trouble.:)

In the realm of misconceptions, I'm always amazed what's out there. ...Even from MA-ists.

I recently talked to a guy who boxes @ the community center where I teach TKD. He is an adult (40) & seems smart enough. He LOVED taking TKD as a younger person. He is always very respectful to me. One day I aked why he twitched from TKD to boxing. He said, "I didn't want to have to register with the police when I got my black belt." After the sad look on his face didn't go away when I laughed & said, "No really, why did ya stop." He said, "You mean you don't have to?" Here I was explaining to a grown man that the thing his instructor told him as a child was a lie & he could be enjoying the benefits of the art he loves to this day. I've invited him to join us in class, but I haven't seen him around the gym, lately. He had no reason not to believe his instructor. But I'm sure the insructor had an alterior motive (probably financial) to tell him this line of bull.

How incredibly sad.

They tremble in fear and run screaming into the night. :)

I have been waiting and waiting for that response since I suppressed myself from posting it when I first time... sorry I could stay silent no longer and I just couldn't resist.

OK I’ll go now

They tremble in fear and run screaming into the night. :)

I have been waiting and waiting for that response since I suppressed myself from posting it when I first time... sorry I could stay silent no longer and I just couldn't resist.

OK I’ll go now
I'm glad Xue caved in and said that, 'cause I was about too.

Jeff

I dont even bother telling people because the 99.9% of the world that doesnt practice martial arts doesnt really care that we do.

I think some people try to slip it into conversation because they expect this instant respect from people.
Kind of like people that ask their students to refer to them by their title outside of the training hall, like they're a Doctor or a head of state.

Actually, some of my friends have started calling me "Haru, The Great White Ninja" from Beverly Hills Ninja.....

And my fiance asks me "Are you a blackbelt yet" everytime that "I come home. :)

Latest Discussions

Back