Greetings everyone

Bill, I strongly suspect you have skills and understanding I lack. The years don't really tell as much as we wish they did. I'm certain there are several folks here with fewer calendar years of training who have more total knowledge than I do.

And, even ignoring that point, we all do what we can from wherever we start. I was lucky to get a start at an early age. My number of years in MA is strictly a function of that.
I am not being falsely modest when I say I am no more than adequate as a karateka. I am fairly good at teaching, and I understand concepts well, even those I execute poorly. I have the positive attribute that I tend not to give up. But I'm generally OK with not being a great martial artist. I am a bit impatient with myself as I age and begin to not even be able to do what I once did. I definitely waited too long to begin training. My fault entirely.

I learnt from Lee Maurer out of detroit mi 6 years it goes by an older name vagabond kungfu
My lineage
Tung Lu Yang
mathew tung
John titus
Lee maurer
Me
Would you describe the technique and methodology? What caused the name change?

Would you describe the technique and methodology? What caused the name change?
Ok that i can do so classical vagabond resembles animal style methods very much in form and application which was fine back in the 19th centery as threats where not as brutal and unforgiving as they are now a change was needed it was condensed and streamlined so only the most injury producing damage causing attacks that could be learned fastest where kept

Ok that i can do so classical vagabond resembles animal style methods very much in form and application which was fine back in the 19th centery as threats where not as brutal and unforgiving as they are now a change was needed it was condensed and streamlined so only the most injury producing damage causing attacks that could be learned fastest where kept
I guess I’m trying to understand how that fits together. Was this a five-animal method, and it has come to focus only/mainly on snake techniques? I’ve never studied that and do not know what snake techniques are. And why, specifically, “black” snake?

I guess I’m trying to understand how that fits together. Was this a five-animal method, and it has come to focus only/mainly on snake techniques? I’ve never studied that and do not know what snake techniques are. And why, specifically, “black” snake?
21 animal styles (not kidding)

21 animal styles (not kidding)
Was there nothing from the other animals that was worth keeping? Looking at it on fairly simple terms, that suggests that more than 95% of the system was eliminated. I practice a single animal system and I Know that can be plenty, and I know that over the generations these things can sometimes grow into a cumbersome and unwieldy curriculum. Sometimes some trimming and paring down is a good idea. But if the original system was built upon 21 components (the animals) and 20 of those components were dropped away, what thought process went into that decision? Who did it? What were the other 20 animals?

I don’t think I’ve witnessed a newbie’s legitimacy being questioned quite so much. There’s clearly a subtext in all this that somebody should make unambiguous.

I don’t think I’ve witnessed a newbie’s legitimacy being questioned quite so much. There’s clearly a subtext in all this that somebody should make unambiguous.
Honestly, I shouldn't have said anything after seeing the videos.

Back