Effectiveness not Re-assuring

Dominic82555

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I went to the closest WC to me on several occasions and recently I got my answer. At no time did I ever see any combat drills or serious applications. A lot of attention was mainly on the forms. How can you install any factual level of competency if you only drill on forms and forms only. The school does not participate in those aspects of learning the art (ie combat drill or self-defense application) smh Imo it's sad because the 2 masters, if you will, are in direct descendants, one under Leung Sheung and the other under Leung Sheung's student.

I went to the closest WC to me on several occasions and recently I got my answer. At no time did I ever see any combat drills or serious applications. A lot of attention was mainly on the forms. How can you install any factual level of competency if you only drill on forms and forms only. The school does not participate in those aspects of learning the art (ie combat drill or self-defense application) smh Imo it's sad because the 2 masters, if you will, are in direct descendants, one under Leung Sheung and the other under Leung Sheung's student.
Aside from your observations, did you ask the instructors/sifu if their training ever includes fighting or gwoh sau/sparring?

I wouldn't give up on the school so quick. Sometimes you have to ask the instructors directly if they teach application and that you want to learn how to apply the techniques and not just do the forms.

My experience is that most older teachers are more than happy to teach application to students who want to learn. Most students don't want to move beyond forms, so the knowledge gets loss. The older teacher for the most part understand the value of application + form. Without application the form will become distorted

I will suggest you find a school that teach "partner drills" first. When you train partner drills without partner, that's solo drills. When you link solo drills together, you get solo form.

In other words, form should come from application. It should not be the other way around. Solo form can only "enhance" techniques. But you have to develop techniques first.

Last edited:

Wow...your profile says you are 72 years old! I hope I am searching for schools teaching combat drills at your age!

Wow...your profile says you are 72 years old! I hope I am searching for schools teaching combat drills at your age!
I'm in excellent shape at 72. The mistake most people 30 n 40 years younger than me make, is my "age", that's when most of them have gotten bit lollllll I love a lot the old Steven Segal movies because I can always take something away from it "philosophically". ie Hard to Kill "Superior Attitude, Superior State of Mind". To underestimate anyone can be a costly mistake. Funny, old people aren't afforded the luxury of playing around, we have to kill you quick loll There's only so much o2 in the tank lolll

People stress that "speed" kills but I'm equally convinced that "timing" is its equalizer:))))

Latest Discussions

Back