Do you support the "Occupy" movement?

Do you support the "Occupy" movement?

• Yes

• No

• Could care less either way.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bill, I've gone to the big Tea Party rallies on Oahu. I've gone to the OWS rallies here. You've got a good Fox News breakdown of what is going on, but let me tell you from experience that this isn't an accurate picture. Both groups have plenty of people who gave impassioned speeches about how they can use government to fix problems that government caused. It's the fundamental flaw in both movements IMO. That's not something people are truly ready to deal with yet though.

And in both groups you have a huge amount of people who see the collusion of financial power and government for what it is, a serious threat to the stability of this country. We've got to connect these people in order to make any difference at all, and that means ignoring the presstitute media and their spin. It also means that we need to take personal responsibility for the information we get about the movements and act accordingly. Ultimately, I've found good and bad in both movements, bit people use the latter as an excuse to not do anything.

Sad isn't it.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Do you honestly think that the Tea Party and Occupy movements you have been to in Hawaii are accutate representations of either movement as a whole?

I have to disagree. Whereas the UCD thread was about a specific incident, this is about OWS in general, and the OP allowed us to talk about our various resons. This would qualify as a reason not to support it. It is a reason I don't. "If you let them go, we will let you leave" was a blatant threat to the police there. The OWS movement may be nonviolent so far, but they are certainly not peaceful.

As long as this doesn't turn in to the mess the other thread became, we're ok with things. Any focused discussion should be rolled out though as this is a general not specific discussion. (IE if it's going to be a deep discussion of the OCD issue, that's a separate topic, but touching on it's fine as ong as it isn't dominating the discussion which is intended to cover the entire movement, not just 1 small part) (hope that makes sense.)

Do you honestly think that the Tea Party and Occupy movements you have been to in Hawaii are accutate representations of either movement as a whole?

His experiences in Hawaii, are like mine in WNY. Favorable. I've said a few times the WNY group's so far been peaceful. But WNY has maybe 30-40 people involved. Dunno how many in Hawaii. NYC however is a thousand+, and as such much different dynamics.

Thank you, Mr. Hubbard, you just illustrated my point.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

As long as this doesn't turn in to the mess the other thread became, we're ok with things. Any focused discussion should be rolled out though as this is a general not specific discussion. (IE if it's going to be a deep discussion of the OCD issue, that's a separate topic, but touching on it's fine as ong as it isn't dominating the discussion which is intended to cover the entire movement, not just 1 small part) (hope that makes sense.)

Perfect sense.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I have to say, how unhappy can the OWS people be when they are protesting in Hawaii. I mean it's "Hawaii." How hard is it to maintain good behavior with surf and sand and beautiful sunsets as the norm. It would be like protesting about how ordinary people look when you live in the "Top Model," house.

Bill, If I was going to protest, in December, Hawaii would be -much- nicer than NY. The more comfortable climate would possibly act as a calming influence since I wouldn't be irritated by my bongos having frozen off. Plus, protest messages are much clearer when not done through chattering teeth.

;)

Do you honestly think that the Tea Party and Occupy movements you have been to in Hawaii are accurate representations of either movement as a whole?

Yes and no, there are some major cultural differences in Hawaii, however, my point is that I've had real positive experiences at both and I'm not just forming my opinion through media.

NYC however is a thousand+, and as such much different dynamics.

I'd like to go check it out to see with my own eyes. The media portrayal has been so slanted, I don't trust their reporting.

I have to say, how unhappy can the OWS people be when they are protesting in Hawaii. I mean it's "Hawaii." How hard is it to maintain good behavior with surf and sand and beautiful sunsets as the norm. It would be like protesting about how ordinary people look when you live in the "Top Model," house.

Believe it or not, we have real problems here. ;) And they don't include intermittent waves. I believe I shared the Superferry issue before and have talked about our broken school system. On a microscale, we have a political elite here in Hawaii that are pretty damn corrupt and this "tradition" stretches back generations.

And the surfing does make it easier. I brought a board down to one of the gatherings. The surf off of Queen's is rad.

Yes and no, there are some major cultural differences in Hawaii, however, my point is that I've had real positive experiences at both and I'm not just forming my opinion through media.

But to really see the similarity and differences in the occupy movements, you'd have to go outside of Hawaii. Have you done that?

But to really see the similarity and differences in the occupy movements, you'd have to go outside of Hawaii. Have you done that?

People who have been part of the Occupy movement in other places, come here and check out what's going on in ours. Since the protest has taken place in major tourist centers, it gets noticed. I've met OWS people from a number of states and talked with them. Other then that, no, I haven't gone to any event outside of Hawaii.

OWS in Toronto has been pretty good. Police removed them last week but the protestors and police were joking with each other. It's a bit more confusing here. I understand the American OWS, but Canadian banks didn't screw up and big business isn't a huge problem in our political process. Corporations aren't innocent here, but it seems to me voters have a bigger impact here than them.

I think OWS won't do anything because they haven't moved into politics. They need their own politicians.

People who have been part of the Occupy movement in other places, come here and check out what's going on in ours. Since the protest has taken place in major tourist centers, it gets noticed. I've met OWS people from a number of states and talked with them. Other then that, no, I haven't gone to any event outside of Hawaii.
So Protesters claim to be opressed by the corupt govt and banks and can find jobs, homes, fair wages, ect yet they can afford to go to Hawaii for vacation? Maybe I need to join a protest

So Protesters claim to be oppressed by the corrupt govt and banks and can find jobs, homes, fair wages, ect yet they can afford to go to Hawaii for vacation? Maybe I need to join a protest.

It's lots of young kids riding around on their baby boomer parents dime. It won't last.

Latest Discussions

Back