Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simple yes or no poll.
Feel free to express reasons if you like as comments.

"Could care less either way" implies that you could actually careless about a topic and therefore you do actually care so it says you could care either way. Now “couldn’t care less” is something entirely different :D

Sorry it is a pet peeve of mine

Yes and No I support the right to protest I dont support the methods (camping out, destroying property, making a general mess, blocking others rights to free passage, blocking stores and streets hurting small Businesses)

Personally, I couldn't care more... or... wait. I could care less. I... I'm confused.

Yes and No I support the right to protest I dont support the methods (camping out, destroying property, making a general mess, blocking others rights to free passage, blocking stores and streets hurting small Businesses)

largely echoes my thoughts :asian:

Boy with only a total of 12 votes I would like to see 500 votes on this to get an idea of what our demographics are on this site.

As a 'movement' I don't think it's going to affect much in the way of changes and nearly all the views I'm catching from the subset of American opinion, that MT represents, seems to support that pessimism. But my impression is that it's an ill-informed and somewhat misplaced first step to try and undo over a century of fiscal insanity, so I can't really say I am against them for trying.

In the end the present system has to go to be replaced by something that has a chance of being sustainable and founded on practical wealth rather than illusory, debt-based, money that demands infinite growth from a finite system just to stand still.

What is the Occupy movement about? Seriously. What change are they trying to bring about? Can you find 3 who agree on what change they want?

Until they get it together that far, they're throwing a tantrum. I'm not a fan of the monster banks that we've got. I don't like our current 1 1/2 party system, which is hugely influenced by money and the desire to get reelected. (Do you know when the next election campaign starts for a Congress member? The day after Election Day. Not a joke. And an incumbent enjoys huge advantages through the franking privilege alone.) Rather than simply complaining -- offer a solution. One that doesn't simply give them a handout from my pocket.

Boy with only a total of 12 votes I would like to see 500 votes on this to get an idea of what our demographics are on this site.

what, didn't have the nerve to read through the pepper spray thread? :)

what, didn't have the nerve to read through the pepper spray thread? :)
not sure what you mean? but why do no votes get a blue color and the yes votes get Pink???? I see only 19 votes out of 100 views could it be the yes's don't want to be listed as Pink??

I find it interesting that people in other countries are encouraged to demonstrate often quite violently against their governments but the minute it happens on home soil there's uproar. In Libya, Egypt and Syria all encouragement is given by our countries to the people to rise up and take to the barricades but here oh no, one mustn't protest in anything other than a loud whisper.
I know it can be argued that the governments of the above countries are deemed 'bad' by us but we feel free to egg on their citizens to take action often violent and damaging to people and property but will clamp down on any home grown protestors who perhaps feel the same about the governments here. Do we have the right to be quite so hypocritical about demonstrators?

not sure what you mean? but why do no votes get a blue color and the yes votes get Pink???? I see only 19 votes out of 100 views could it be the yes's don't want to be listed as Pink??

the pepper spray thread makes the demographic pretty clear.
:)

I voted "yes" because I supported the OWS movement in the form it started out in....semi-organized, peacable, and with a clear mission that I agreed with. Wall-Streets ****ed up, and Wall Street isn't the group who's eating the consequences of the economic irresponsibility. However, I don't really like what OWS became after a few months, and I'm certainly appalled at how easily others dismissed them as cluess, lazy hippies.

I voted "yes" because I supported the OWS movement in the form it started out in....semi-organized, peacable, and with a clear mission that I agreed with.
OK then, give us 50 words or less for 3 or more planks of their platform that you agreed with, please.

I voted "no" (big surprise, right?) in part, because criminal activity and mobs neither impress me or intimidate me.

I'm sorry, but the OWS remind me way too much of this scene from a famous political debate in Britain. When the United States is even close to being the repressive country that the OWS imagines it is, as compared to how Libya and Syria and the others actually are, I will whole heartedly support any level of demonstration that helps overthrow the repressive government. When these guys are quietly, and politely asked to just move off of the sidewalk, repeatedly, and then they refuse, and then are informed if they continue to block the sidewalk, they will be arrested, and they still refuse to leave peacefully, well, no sympathy from me. They are acting like jerks, not political freedom fighters.

The famous political discussion from Britain...the level of outrage by the OWS reminds me of Dennis in the following video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_zkMEgkI

A
lso, in the United States, and I believe Britain, as well, we have something called the "Ballot Box," and "Elections" that actually count. Our OWS protestors, here and their counter parts in Britain are too lazy to put the work in to create change through the ballot box

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but the OWS remind me way too much of this scene from a famous political debate in Britain. When the United States is even close to being the repressive country that the OWS imagines it is, as compared to how Libya and Syria and the others actually are, I will whole heartedly support any level of demonstration that helps overthrow the repressive government. When these guys are quietly, and politely asked to just move off of the sidewalk, repeatedly, and then they refuse, and then are informed if they continue to block the sidewalk, they will be arrested, and they still refuse to leave peacefully, well, no sympathy from me. They are acting like jerks, not political freedom fighters.

The famous political discussion from Britain...the level of outrage by the OWS reminds me of Dennis in the following video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_zkMEgkI

A
lso, in the United States, and I believe Britain, as well, we have something called the "Ballot Box," and "Elections" that actually count. Our OWS protestors, here and their counter parts in Britain are too lazy to put the work in to create change through the ballot box

I think, again, you don't actually know who is protesting in the UK. We certainly haven't had the violence from either side you have. The only demonstration we have here has been at St. Pauls. You don't know that they haven't voted either, the way our systme works it doesn't necessarily mean that voting doe any good. In my area our local MP is William Hague the Foreign Secretary, more people here collectively voted against him than for him but he still gets in because those votes were given for different people. Here the Labour candidate can get 1000 votes, the Liberal 1000 votes, the Independant 1000 and the Conservative 10001. The Conservative will get in despite only 10001 people voting for him and 3000 not wanting him so yes voting and the ballot box is very fair... not.
I'd keep to comments about your side of the pond if I were you.

Back