Do you know anyone with a black belt in both Kyokushin and Goju Ryu ?

Thought Kimura taught Mas Oyama judo ?

Fun fact: In Karate Kid / Cobra Kai, Mr Miyagi was named after Chogun Miyagi (the founder of Goju Ryu) and the Miyagi-Do karate is Goju Ryu while Cobra Kai is Tang Soo Do ; I think they decided it should be Korean Karate because Thomas Ian Griffith (Terry Silver) is a black belt in taekwondo or because John Kreese and Terry Silver possibly fought in the Korea war ?
Yes, Kimura was a judo teacher of Oyama, however Oyama was also tied to Sawai back in his judo days. Kimura probably get more attention because of his competition fame, and that he also practiced karate as a fellow karate student of Oyama.

Karate Kid fun fact- the highly skilled karate master Fumio Demura was the fight choreographer and Pat Moritas stunt double in the KK saga - he did Shito-ryu

@_Simon_

Are International Karate-do Goju Kai Association and Seigokan the same ?

I thought the biggest karate association / federation is the WKF as they're also Olympic

I read there's quite a few Kyokushin organisations: IKO 1-4

I am not a traditionalist. I like MMA as you are fighting and blending styles. UFC is the pinnacle. GLORY for kickboxing

@_Simon_

Are International Karate-do Goju Kai Association and Seigokan the same ?

I thought the biggest karate association / federation is the WKF as they're also Olympic

I read there's quite a few Kyokushin organisations: IKO 1-4

I am not a traditionalist. I like MMA as you are fighting and blending styles. UFC is the pinnacle. GLORY for kickboxing
I have no idea to be honest! WKF is huge, but unsure if they're just purely a sports karate organisation.

Yeah Kyokushin underwent many many splinterings and directions after Sosai's death... not uncommon really.

How does continuos Goju Ryu differ from Kyokushin? I'd imagine it's just head punching and wearing mitts
Yeah head punches (pulled short though) and protective gear (not all dojos do protective), but many other things. We're encouraged to try different techniques (haito, shuto, teisho etc), we are allowed to catch kicks, and we can use leg sweeps too. Me and my instructor even got into a full wrestling match once as he wanted to see how I would deal with it, each trying to take each other down haha, was good fun.

Dojos tend to be different though, some Goju schools basically do Kyokushin knockdown style sparring.

Yeah head punches (pulled short though) and protective gear (not all dojos do protective), but many other things. We're encouraged to try different techniques (haito, shuto, teisho etc), we are allowed to catch kicks, and we can use leg sweeps too. Me and my instructor even got into a full wrestling match once as he wanted to see how I would deal with it, each trying to take each other down haha, was good fun.

Dojos tend to be different though, some Goju schools basically do Kyokushin knockdown style sparring.

This is what the guy I know is like in kickboxing. He's got better at kickboxing though as this was 15 years ago:

This is a random Goju Ryu vs Kyokushin fight

This is what the guy I know is like in kickboxing. He's got better at kickboxing though as this was 15 years ago:

This is a random Goju Ryu vs Kyokushin fight

The first Martial Arts competition I ever saw in person was a school of Greek Goju Ryu Black Belts from East Boston vs a school of Kyoushin Black Belts from Japan. It was in 1971 or 72 in the old Boston Arena.

They fought in a boxing ring. To this day, I have never seen anything like it. I know Kyokushin Karate is supposedly a no contact to the face kind of style. But I honestly have not seen that as of yet. Every Kyokushin guy I’ve ever trained with, met or watched, fights with face and head contact. I’ve never actually seen NO head contact in Kyokushin.

I don’t know, maybe I should get out more. It’s a head scratcher to me.

The first Martial Arts competition I ever saw in person was a school of Greek Goju Ryu Black Belts from East Boston vs a school of Kyoushin Black Belts from Japan. It was in 1971 or 72 in the old Boston Arena.

They fought in a boxing ring. To this day, I have never seen anything like it. I know Kyokushin Karate is supposedly a no contact to the face kind of style. But I honestly have not seen that as of yet. Every Kyokushin guy I’ve ever trained with, met or watched, fights with face and head contact. I’ve never actually seen NO head contact in Kyokushin.

I don’t know, maybe I should get out more. It’s a head scratcher to me.
Was it under kickboxing rules they fought ?

I don't really like all these 'politics' in martial arts I.e. too many governing bodies and so-called world champions.

I like UFC as it's the pinnacle of MMA. In kickboxing I like GLORY but Wu Lin Fen, Kunlun and Yokkao are also really good.

In my opinion these ABC titles are good for getting you into the big leagues: more a means to an end

Latest Discussions

Back