Cobra Kai Season 6 premieres July 18?

Fungus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I hope this is accurate. After plenty of rumours I've been waiting for this for some time.

I haven't been much into MA movies until I started kyokushin a couple of years ago, and then i started to watch all cobra kai episodes, as part of self-entertainment in between classes, it kept me busy largely through orange belt as well. But ever since i have been waiting for anoter season. I hope for a badass final season, more plain fighting and less love stories.

It’s a dreadful series. Predictable scripts, childish storylines and the worst martial arts action I’ve seen since ‘Kung Fu’ in the 70s 🤢🤮

Yes but they’re stringing it out releasing it in 3 separate parts so the end of the season won’t be until next year

It’s a dreadful series. Predictable scripts, childish storylines and the worst martial arts action I’ve seen since ‘Kung Fu’ in the 70s 🤢🤮
I loved the Kung fu series with Mr Caine when i was a kid! :D

You are right the storylines are simple, but well, sometimes simplicty and predictability is just what you want, with cool moves and stereotype MA. I love it. Well I love xmas as well, probably because it's predictable.

But I think nothing gets up to the standards of your secret the Berlin clubs.

You're expecting way too much out of the martial arts action genre. Not a single non-boxing MA movie has ever won an Academy Award.

I loved the Kung fu series with Mr Caine when i was a kid! :D
‘Kid’ being the operative word.
You are right the storylines are simple, but well, sometimes simplicty and predictability is just what you want, with cool moves and stereotype MA. I love it. Well I love xmas as well, probably because it's predictable.
Do you think the quality of the martial arts is any good? It looks truly wooden and contrived and that misrepresents the MA since the implication is they’re competent exponents. Also the characters are some of the most awful, jealous, aggressive, uncompassionate, dim-witted, self-serving types I’ve ever seen. Again it casts, the MA in a bad light.
But I think nothing gets up to the standards of your secret the Berlin clubs.
What’s the first rule of Berlin Clubs Fungus?🤫

You're expecting way too much out of the martial arts action genre. Not a single non-boxing MA movie has ever won an Academy Award.
They don’t attract good script/screenplay writers or actors. The Jackie Chan/Jayden Smith version of ‘Korrody Kid’ was far better than the original and had a bit of substance to it’s martial arts sections.

This is the acid test; Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Robert Di Nero and Donald Trump are over at your house for pizza and a herbal tea or two. They’re new friends and you want to impress them a bit and certainly not appear a half-wit. Would you be happy saying, “Hey, look at what I’ve been watching…” and then showing them Cobra Kai? I doubt it. You’d put on ‘Three Body Problem’ even though you don’t understand a word of it.😉

This is the acid test; Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Robert Di Nero and Donald Trump are over at your house for pizza and a herbal tea or two. They’re new friends and you want to impress them a bit and certainly not appear a half-wit. Would you be happy saying, “Hey, look at what I’ve been watching…” and then showing them Cobra Kai? I doubt it. You’d put on ‘Three Body Problem’ even though you don’t understand a word of it.😉

That depends. Are they paying me for my hospitality?

‘Kid’ being the operative word.''
Im still a kid, just a little larger :rolleyes:
Do you think the quality of the martial arts is any good?
Not in the sense you mean, but then it's not why I watch these. But I watch much more youtube fighting videos from real fighters than i spend time watching movies, but then the purpose is not entertaintment.

It looks truly wooden and contrived and that misrepresents the MA since the implication is they’re competent exponents. Also the characters are some of the most awful, jealous, aggressive, uncompassionate, dim-witted, self-serving types I’ve ever seen. Again it casts, the MA in a bad light.
I think most movies have the good and the bad side, the contrast there makes it epic. The bad guys should bad, very bad. But the good guys has the edge and spanks the bad guys in the end. Same with star wars.

I'm not sure I share that it puts MA in bad light? there is always good and bad people in everything.

Not in the sense you mean, but then it's not why I watch these. But I watch much more youtube fighting videos from real fighters than i spend time watching movies, but then the purpose is not entertaintment.
So doesn’t that put CK fighting into sharp contrast of crapness? It’s like educating and refining your palette with nicely prepared foods, then choosing to eat in MacDonalds.
I think most movies have the good and the bad side, the contrast there makes it epic.
But good fiction blurs that contrast…look at Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad…characters doing hideous things but for reasons we can sometimes understand. CK is just like 30s cowboy films where the goodies wear white and the baddies wear black.
The bad guys should bad, very bad. But the good guys has the edge and spanks the bad guys in the end.
That’s very Hollywood. I think it shows bravery when the screenwriter kills the hero…preferably a meaningless death…like Trip Tucker in ‘Star Trek: Enterprise’.
Same with star wars.
Another children’s film. You’ll be trying to convince me of Harry Potter’s worth, next 😅
I'm not sure I share that it puts MA in bad light? there is always good and bad people in everything.
One group of kids learns karoddy with a bunch of bullies. They become bullies despite koroddy’s character building foundation: a foundation that teaches morals, winning without fighting, compromise and negotiation. CK characters just resort to fighting at a drop of a hat. If I were a muggle parent of muggle kids, I would not enrol them in a karate class based upon CK. Chess club perhaps…

Last edited:
I have the distinct feeling you don’t entertain much, nor have many friends…😐
Just not the kind in your circle. I'm not ashamed to put on what I like (Cobra Kai), nor do I feel the need to be pretentious by putting on Citizen Kane or Casablanca when a guest shows up.

Just not the kind in your circle. I'm not ashamed to put on what I like (Cobra Kai),
You shouldn’t really have the TV on when guest come over.
nor do I feel the need to be pretentious by putting on Citizen Kane or Casablanca when a guest shows up.
They’re awful, old films! I endured ‘Whatever Happened to Baby Jane’ the other day because I was told it was a gothic classic. Total sh*te!

Pretentious is ‘No Country for Old Men’, ‘The Shape of Water’ and ‘Poor Things’!

You shouldn’t really have the TV on when guest come over.
Why not? You've never had guests over in order to watch the fight or the big game together? Getting back to the topic of Cobra Kai, there are even people who have parties just like the Super Bowl whenever a new season premiers. Expect the 18th of this month to be no different.

So doesn’t that put CK fighting into sharp contrast of crapness? It’s like educating and refining your palette with nicely prepared foods, then choosing to eat in MacDonalds.
I see both the difference and charm with both fine dining and the food chains. One benefit of McDonalds, is that it's predictable, and it can be quite good in all it's simplcity. It's not fancy or elegant.

But good fiction blurs that contrast…look at Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad…characters doing hideous things but for reasons we can sometimes understand. CK is just like 30s cowboy films where the goodies wear white and the baddies wear black.
I must admit that I have seen neither game of thrones nor breaking bad. Drama is the kind of style i hate the most! Emotional drama drives me nuts!!! I rather watch all episodes or mr bean for the 20th time.

For entertainment I enjoy comedy, science fiction, fantasy or action, as long as there is a minimum of drama. I genereally find alot fo "fine move arts" dense, boring and not entertainingt. I RARELY find a MOVIE "interesting". If I want "interesting" stuff, I goto science, read papers or similar. This is why I tend to actually appreciate simplitity in entertainment.

That’s very Hollywood. I think it shows bravery when the screenwriter kills the hero…preferably a meaningless death…like Trip Tucker in ‘Star Trek: Enterprise’.
Probably, but I don't want surprises or "interesting" when beeing entertained, I enjoy Cobra Kai and if I goto funky places, I sometimes get a McDonalds because it's predictable! I once went to the world capitol of food in Lyon, and the two dinners I had there was the worst I ever had, and one of them was on a very fine restaurant. the best food on that trip was mcdonalds at hte airport!

Another children’s film. You’ll be trying to convince me of Harry Potter’s worth, next 😅
LOL, I enjoy Harry Potter too! Magic is fantasy! You are starting to get the logic!!! movies is for me plain entertainment, not an intellectual challenge, for that i look elsewhere, not movies.

One group of kids learns karoddy with a bunch of bullies. They become bullies despite koroddy’s character building foundation: a foundation that teaches morals, winning without fighting, compromise and negotiation. CK characters just resort to fighting at a drop of a hat. If I were a muggle parent of muggle kids, I would not enrol them in a karate class based upon CK. Chess club perhaps…
I don't take the meaning of all that as serious as you do. You obviously have a point, but then for me, I take movies per see, less seriously than you. It can be nutty, crazy or stupid, and I can still enjoy it, as it's implicit to not take it seriously.

For someone who doesn’t like it you sure are spending a lot of time talking about it

That's actually the point. The characters in the series are young, and they're still learning and growing. And when Miguel got his back broken after being knocked off the ledge by Robbie, there was a price that both Johnny and Danny had to pay; in particular, having to take on the difficult task of restoring karate's good name after ruining it.

Last edited:
Back