Chen Family Taijiquan - Gongfu Jia

Do you have any video to show what you are talking about?

🤔 maybe this

Same Trick:​

Ok, The “soft” striking as I tried to briefly describe are strikes with no wind up, no flinging the arm out to reach a target. It’s a strike that just requires good positioning in relation to opponent who kind of walks/rush/fall into it

Last edited:
🤔 maybe this

Emphasizing non-telegraph punching by itself may be not understanding the more important tai chi skills of...

1. Lure: give the opponent false impressions, making him feel like he can get you, and leading him to go where you want him to go,
2. Listen: feel or detect what the opponent wants to do,
3. Control: get the opponent under your control (usually means keep him off-balanced),
4. Dissolve: neutralize the attacking force, and
5. Attack: release a throwing force

...In order to be true Taiji skill, the first four steps must be present.

Strikes being 'telegraphed' or having preceeding movement that might signal their delivery, and therefore rendering them easily defended and countered, is often a strongly avoided state - in reality, not only is this issue mostly redundant in actual application, trying to achieve 'non-telegraphic' status is actually detrimental to effective striking.

...In order to be true Taiji skill, the first four steps must be present.
well kind of depends...🤔

what was presented was in answer to a question...

Do you practice taiji ?

Last edited:
Is there any video that shows one can use "soft punch" to knock his opponent down/out (or at least hurt opponent)?

If a video was shown would you believe it ?
Or would the conversation then be about the video ? 😂

lets see 🤔

well kind of depends...🤔

Do you practice "taiji" ?
If you do, what theory is the method based on ?
If you do not, how do you know?
Let's talk about the subject, rather than ad hominems. (I've posted videos of drills and fights showing these fundamental fighting skills.)

What do you think about what Mick Coup says on non-telegraphing?

What are your thoughts on the above skills listed (not limited to tai chi)?

What's your thoughts on non-telegraphing, etc?

Do you have any video to show what you are talking about?

I assume this is not "soft strike" by your definition.

No no video, I’m not a videoguy,also I can’t see YouTube from my location.

Maybe there are some videos online about Aikido atemi(striking), that should be similar to what I mean.

Hey, your rhino-guard could somewhat do for it as an example, as the arms/hands already in strike position, just use opponents effort coming at you.

I’d say Taiji strikes are not pugilistic in the sense of boxing/kickboxing, Taiji is not about chasing to hit a target.
The objective is not fighting since fighting hold the sense of go against or even struggling, and that’s not in tune with Taiji

Let's talk about the subject, rather than ad hominems. (I've posted videos of drills and fights showing these fundamental fighting skills.)
Are they fundamental taiji drills, and fights 🤔

If some one makes a statement

In order to be true Taiji skill, the first four steps must be present.

asking for credentials is not attacking the person, only seeking to understand the level by which such statement's are made.

a simple question,,

lets rephrase the question...

Is this from your experience based on your tai chi practice ?

If its from an academic standpoint, nothing wrong with that,
find your commentary interesting at times..👍.

Would not agree with the statement based on my practice..

Last edited:
That look like a "pushing" to me.

well 😂

you asked for an example whether you agree with it, or not, is it not an example? 🤔

The legendary Systema founder, Colonel Ryabko is known for his magnificent ability to strike. Very few people in the world are able to deliver punches of so much power, precision, and diverse effect on the receiver. Filmed in the early 2000s, in these three episodes, Mikhail Ryabko demonstrates a huge variety of strikes and explains how he does this.

The commentator and those there may have a different opinion...
they go on to illustrate a different concept used in striking...

Last edited:
No no video, I’m not a videoguy,also I can’t see YouTube from my location.

Maybe there are some videos online about Aikido atemi(striking), that should be similar to what I mean.

Hey, your rhino-guard could somewhat do for it as an example, as the arms/hands already in strike position, just use opponents effort coming at you.

I’d say Taiji strikes are not pugilistic in the sense of boxing/kickboxing, Taiji is not about chasing to hit a target.
The objective is not fighting since fighting hold the sense of go against or even struggling, and that’s not in tune with Taiji
And per Zhang Yun, it's not just about the attack. There are other essential skills.

Zhang Yun said:
One common mistake for many people is that they try to use fa jin too directly. They just want to use their jin to beat their opponents as hard as possible. But in real Taiji Quan skill, throwing jin should never be used alone.

I believe your opponent "coming at you" is the key. You need to borrow your opponent's incoming force to achieve head on collision A + B > A.

well 😂

you asked for an example whether you agree with it, or not, is it not an example? 🤔
I try to see the difference between "pushing" and "soft striking". I use "soft striking" in Chinese wrestling all the time (such as tearing). But my intention is to "push" my opponent back (break apart his grip), and not trying to hurt him.

Is there any video that shows one can use "soft punch" to knock his opponent down/out (or at least hurt opponent)?
This is the common thinking and objective about striking - that it must be a knock-down/out strike and by so thinking of haymaker, right cross and similar strikes.
Since it’s common most will use that sort in a fight, and so they are predictable.
Those strikes hold much momentum energy and are not preferable to be part of the taiji curriculum except for as a tool to practice defense at

Are they fundamental taiji drills, and fights 🤔

If some one makes a statement

asking for credentials is not attacking the person, only seeking to understand the level by which such statement's are made.
Zhang Yun made that statement. You can research his credentials.

Ad Hominem: This fallacy occurs when, instead of addressing someone's argument or position, you irrelevantly attack the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument.

maybe this one is a little different

Actually, the Taiji "brush knee twist step" can be a good example. You first touching your fingertips on your opponent's chest. You then drop your palm heel onto your opponent's chest. I'm surprise such video is not available online. Can you hurt your opponent with this kind of palm dropping? I have not heard anybody ever did that.

Back