Blackbelt knife.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240612_190453_Google.jpg

So John Danaher gives his Black belts knives as a token of some metaphor for something.

I am metaphorically just a big kid and think knives are cool.

So what sort of knife would you choose to be your clubs signature black belt knife?

A well-made butter knife. Accurately spread better on one’s toast, right into the corners, is the foundation of civilisation and thus the achievement of a Dan grade. 😑

I think maybe a bowie knife with the name and date of promotion engraved on the blade would be cool. Though, in Japanese martial arts, it might be more fitting to gift a tanto.

Well, there are no belts in traditional Chinese martial arts, but if I were going to give out a knife, it would depend on the style

it would be between this one
OLmovFGTl61oVVA9k9JXBVLojbYwWC5otG0uocjdxjf1XmNIraHZOAr_bk2f53Io6u_LgCH5QWPF703nasePQ7zd87R89IyLBsSlWKayFlN_i_zmvSCQ-zVo2JO_s3qt_8mInqs

牛尾刀
Niúwěi dāo
oxtail knife

and these
BJD-MD07-5Sifu-B-2.jpg

蝴蝶雙刀
Húdié shuāng dāo
butterfly knife

For carry I prefer small. So small (my definition) knives are what I would have them train with.
Here are just a few possibilities, maybe half what I've available.
DSC00447.jpg

Well, there are no belts in traditional Chinese martial arts, but if I were going to give out a knife, it would depend on the style

and these
BJD-MD07-5Sifu-B-2.jpg

蝴蝶雙刀
Húdié shuāng dāo
butterfly knife
Yeah, that works for Wing Chun, but you'd have to earn a lot higher rank than "black-belt equivalent" to get a set of those babies. Heck, our lineage only teaches the "baat cham dao" ( smaller than the hu di dao) to people approaching master level who also have a lot of money to spend. :confused:

For carry I prefer small. So small (my definition) knives are what I would have them train with.
Here are just a few possibilities, maybe half what I've available.
DSC00447.jpg
That looks like the sort of stash we see on a news report when a drug gang has been busted’😂

I like the one in the photo. If I were to start the tradition, I would make sure it resonates with our training in some way. Or give it as a memento with a stand or sheath.

It would be hard to find an Australian knife.

Mabye a smatchet or something.

Screenshot_20240614_204823_Google.jpg

I like the one in the photo. If I were to start the tradition, I would make sure it resonates with our training in some way. Or give it as a memento with a stand or sheath.
How about starting the tradition with a book token? Or a subscription to a magazine? Or a pair of fancy Japanese secateurs? Why a knife?

How about starting the tradition with a book token? Or a subscription to a magazine? Or a pair of fancy Japanese secateurs? Why a knife?
I've never heard of anyone assigning keepsake value to any of those other items...

I've never heard of anyone assigning keepsake value to any of those other items...
I still have my Playboy collection from the 70s…for the articles, you understand.

It just seems a knife as a cherished item for obtaining a Dan grade in an unarmed art feeds into the public cliché of MA being..’violent’. Don’t get me wrong, I love blades, but perhaps a crystal rose bowl or something might be less…controversial.

I still have my Playboy collection from the 70s…for the articles, you understand.

It just seems a knife as a cherished item for obtaining a Dan grade in an unarmed art feeds into the public cliché of MA being..’violent’. Don’t get me wrong, I love blades, but perhaps a crystal rose bowl or something might be less…controversial.
This is why I suggested a knife with the name of the student and date of promotion engraved on the blade. I think people are more likely to hang it on the wall in a shadow box than actually use it.

I’ll be controversial here, how about a nicely personalised silk black belt (synthetic for vegans) for passing one’s Dan grade? Isn’t the grade itself sufficient?

I’ll be controversial here, how about a nicely personalised silk black belt (synthetic for vegans) for passing one’s Dan grade? Isn’t the grade itself sufficient?
Well, the whole point of this thread is about schools who want to do more than that. And most don't. The OP is the first time I've heard of such a thing.

It is violent, if you’re doing it right. What a funny thought. That people thinking of MA as violent is cliche or undesirable is a little backwards to me.

I know if someone reaches 5th Dan in some styles, the other instructors or students will buy and present a sword (a katana I believe..) to them. I don't rightly know what that means, but it's a thing! I think it's nice.

Back