Benefits of static hold exercises

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In another thread there was some talk about the horse stance and for this one I want to just list a couple of benefits for the static hold exercises. As in how to static hold exercises benefit the body. I think many things will make more sense if we zoom out and start from a wider point of view to help understand the specifics. I guess you can say that this perspective is like: "instead of trying to understand the forest by looking at one tree, we must first see the forest" type of perspective. This thread is more for those who may be interested in how it helps. At the end of the day people are going to do what is best for them be it static holds or dynamic exercises. There's nothing about our previous discussions that say you can't do both.

There are more links in the article if you are interested in it. There's one linked to a study. My personal thoughts on the study stuff is: "The fastest way to find out is to try." A week should be long enough to see if it gives you the results that you want or incorporate it into what you already do. Either way, one should be able to notice a difference in a week.

static holds, which involve holding a position in place without moving.

Supporting post-injury recovery
help support your growth, incorporating isometric exercises can help lead to better joint mobility and target muscles without any further injury.

Sustaining prolonged tension and increased muscle fiber activation
During a static hold, your muscles must sustain prolonged tension, but your joints must adapt and become more resilient over time.

Enhancing stabilization
As the muscles tighten without movement, your body’s joints and core become more stable. Regularly performing static hold exercises can also help to improve your posture

I hope this will help someone

Remember this?
595368C6-FA60-492A-BFC3-D54EDF3D91B8.jpeg

There’s a few people 3ho will remember this, too!
343573B4-DF18-4DD1-A5C8-4DA29779EE13.jpeg

Here are 13 static postures to share - 13 Tai Bao. I link it into a sequence for easy of training (the order of the sequence is not important).

Most people lack the stabilizing strength to do that. They would lift their leg in ways that causes the energy to knock them in balance. The one thing that was bing for me in Tai Chi was the direction of the energy when I lift my leg. I always had to be aware of driving my energy to the center of my balance. Each stance has different centers of balance which made it more difficult.

Unfortunately, the single leg balance ability may be the 1st ability that you will lose in your old age. The more single leg balance that you put into your training when you are still young, the longer that you can maintain your ability.

For example, the more that you train "body bending backward", the less chance that you will get hump back in old age.

My Wing Chun sifu wants me to stand on one leg for an extended piriod of time, and then switch and stand on the other. He wants me to be able to do Sil Lim Tao standing on one leg. Sadly, I don't think my knees will take it...so I am back training Santi Shi

images

Di Guoyong

My Wing Chun sifu wants me to stand on one leg for an extended piriod of time, and then switch and stand on the other. He wants me to be able to do Sil Lim Tao standing on one leg. Sadly, I don't think my knees will take it...so I am back training Santi Shi

images

Di Guoyong
Can you stand on one leg for less time?

Much less, but the real knee and the fake knee both start hurting at the joint, and that is not goo. And how a fake knee hurts at the joint I have no idea, but it does
There's stuff around the fake knee so I can understand that. Does walking slowly hurt?

Latest Discussions

Back