Acid Reflux but oh well...

A word of caution ⚠️

...ya might really want to check things out before trying to get some compensation for long-term service related injuries..
The government has away of giving you something with one hand, taking it away with the other...

Seen it happen to retirees claiming disabilities only to find out the compensation claim was being made up out of their retirement benefits.. 😳

good luck...
Social security disability is like that - you can't double-dip with Social Security itself. VA disability is (so far) different. It does not impact Social Security benefits. It's tax free as well. And although it can certainly be reduced if the person's condition improves, after age 55, the VA considers conditions to be stable and won't revisit with intent to reduce (again, for now). Project 2025 from the Heritage Foundation has a chapter on VA benefits that states clearly that they'll seek to reduce previous benefits, deny new benefits to only those who served in combat, only combat-related injuries, and cut off benefits 15 years after service ends. So I'm hoping that doesn't come to pass.

"Why don't you just get over it?" I hear that a lot, and it's part of the reason vets tell vets not to tell non-vets about our pain. At age 63, if I could 'just get over it' or 'figure stuff out' on my own, I'd have done it by now. That's the issue. Some people have sympathy for that and some do not. I've certainly heard people tell me that they had similar things happen to them and THEY don't have issues, so why do I? It's amazing how hostile people can be over things like this.
I do not remember anyone saying "why don't you just get over it". I am only two years younger than you so playing the age card will not work. I don't look at others or for others to help me decide what I need to do or how and where I can help myself. It is a never ending process.
You want to stay bitter about some things that happened to you in your life, that is your right. Because some choose not to be bitter is theirs. We all get down, but staying there is on you, not anyone else.
We have a common saying in the south that warrants saying here: "suck it up buttercup". Doesn't mean a person will ever be what they once were, but it does mean we need to make our best effort. Not for anyone else's benefit but for out own.

I do not remember anyone saying "why don't you just get over it". I am only two years younger than you so playing the age card will not work. I don't look at others or for others to help me decide what I need to do or how and where I can help myself. It is a never ending process.
You want to stay bitter about some things that happened to you in your life, that is your right. Because some choose not to be bitter is theirs. We all get down, but staying there is on you, not anyone else.
We have a common saying in the south that warrants saying here: "suck it up buttercup". Doesn't mean a person will ever be what they once were, but it does mean we need to make our best effort. Not for anyone else's benefit but for out own.

Good job proving the following from Bill's post that you responded too

It's amazing how hostile people can be over things like this.

Good job proving the following from Bill's post that you responded too
How anyone would think that post was in any way 'hostile' is beyond me. I am in no way mad or hostile (at anyone or anything), nor am I taking sides. I have no skin in the game, but do recognize the signs of someone having a pity party. From my own experiences with them.
I thanked him for his service and I sincerely mean that. I imagine if we walked a mile in each others shoes we might have a change of perspective for this topic.
If you want to go to the party with him, be my guest. Like I said, we all go there at times. Staying there is on you.

How anyone would think that post was in any way 'hostile' is beyond me. I am in no way mad or hostile (at anyone or anything), nor am I taking sides. I have no skin in the game, but do recognize the signs of someone having a pity party. From my own experiences with them.
I thanked him for his service and I sincerely mean that. I imagine if we walked a mile in each others shoes we might have a change of perspective for this topic.
If you want to go to the party with him, be my guest. Like I said, we all go there at times. Staying there is on you.
Suck it up buttercup...really...ok, whatever floats your boat

Makes me think you were searching for how to remove a stain from a shirt and this somehow showed up in your search results lol.

So where do I got to get a refund on the time that I spent listening to that lol.

Makes me think you were searching for how to remove a stain from a shirt and this somehow showed up in your search results lol.
Well you did ask what it was. It predicted one candidate would drop out and a ‘person born with a womb’ (🙄) would run instead. PROOF it works!
So where do I got to get a refund on the time that I spent listening to that lol.
😆 So you can waste it writing your usual bunkum? Apply to the ‘Ministry of the Bleedin’ Obvious’ 😂😉

So mental illness like depression is a choice? You do know it's not 1950, right?
Of course it isn't but some precepts still apply. And where did I mention depression? Can you honestly say you Never get down (aka depression).
Way too many people trying to put words in my mouth here.

If that offends you, all I can say is we are a different breed of people.
well I don't doubt that, based on other posts of yours. Offend me, no, I don't offend that easily, but I can see where it just reinforced Bills point, that fact you can't see it does not surprising, but it is interesting..

Of course it isn't but some precepts still apply. And where did I mention depression? Can you honestly say you Never get down (aka depression).
Feeling down or sad is not the same as depression. I can watch a movie and experience those things. Anime story lines do that to me.

Those emotions are like the weather. Depression is like an island that you want to get out of but can't but as long as that island is part of your life and who you are then the depression will never go away. However life is more than a island. Life is like mercury, you don't get rid of the experiences they make you who you are. WWII vets in there 90s still were haunted by what the experienced from war. Out of all the things they had forgotten the horrors remained.

We are different as individuals not everyone can just over it. I have my doubts that those who say they have gotten over it actually have.

Last edited:
Can you honestly say you Never get down (aka depression).
This just shows that you don't understand what you're talking about.
Maybe that's a sign you should read your posts from a different perspective, if what you're meaning and what you're communicating don't align.

This just shows that you don't understand what you're talking about.

Maybe that's a sign you should read your posts from a different perspective, if what you're meaning and what you're communicating don't align.
Enlighten me then. Explain how I don't know what I am talking about.

I suggest you and others do the same and take a moment to think about what is written by everyone, not just me. Just because you don't like what someone say or how they say it, does not make it wrong (aka, suck it up buttercup).
So, I ask again, show me where I am wrong.

Feeling down or sad is not the same as depression. I can watch a movie and experience those things. Anime story lines do that to me.

Those emotions are like the weather. Depression is like an island that you want to get out of but can't but as long as that island is part of your life and who you are then the depression will never go away. However life is more than a island. Life is like mercury, you don't get rid of the experiences they make you who you are. WWII vets in there 90s still were haunted by what the experienced from war. Out of all the things they had forgotten the horrors remained.

We are different as individuals not everyone can just over it. I have my doubts that those who say they have gotten over it actually have.
Many of you really have me scratching my head. And again, really, really putting words in my mouth, or more correctly drawing your own incorrect conclusions on what one person is saying but not another. I am getting whiplash trying to keep up.

I am pretty sure no one needs an 'island' analogy as most people have experienced depression to some degree. And it they haven't, they will at some point in their life.
I know the definition, have read it probably hundreds of times (for my own purpose), and it always comes away quite circular. "You can sort of be down but not for too long or too much but there is no hard definition on how much or how long until you are officially depressed". Classic medical mumbo-jumbo for "I really have no clue what exactly it is". Trust me, it you can find an island to stand on, you are not depressed, Now if you are treading water...

Who said anything about "just getting over it". You make it sound okay just to stay in a funk permanently and never make an effort to get out of it. Of course people are different. Some can handle adversity better than others, some choose to set in a state of depression, that is on them. I say that as a matter of fact, not to hate OR love on them. It is really that simple.

Can you honestly say you Never get down (aka depression).
I can honestly say that I have never get down in the past 50 years. I don't watch TV/movie that contain drug, police, jail, car chasing, hospital. Those TV/movie just send out too much negative energy.

When negative energy attacks me, I always think about the 8 most happy things that happened in my life. The negative energy then moves away from me.

IMO, how to make yourself happy is important. If you try to think about what you have, and try not to think about what you don't have, that can be a good start. This is 1/2 cup full or 1/2 cup empty comparison.

- My brother-in-law is almost blind because his glaucoma. If my eyes can still see the world, I'm happy.
- My senior SC brother (about my age) passed away 5 years ago. Today, if I can still breath, I'm happy.

It really doesn't take much to be happy.

Last edited:
Enlighten me then. Explain how I don't know what I am talking about.

I suggest you and others do the same and take a moment to think about what is written by everyone, not just me. Just because you don't like what someone say or how they say it, does not make it wrong (aka, suck it up buttercup).
So, I ask again, show me where I am wrong.
It's specifically what I quoted - depression is different than "getting down". If you need more clarification, refer to this: UpToDate which is what is generally referred to as depression.

'getting down' would be, generously, A1 there. You still need 4 more symptoms in order to have depression, along with B, C, D and E. You also don't even need to experience 'getting down' or being sad/upset for depression, if you're experiencing anhedonia (A2) instead.

When people state that they are the same thing, that's a sign that they do not understand the topic they're chiming in on (mental illness).

I also made no reference to suck it up buttercup. But if you're asking about how that's wrong, you stated that you were not telling him to get over it (an implication that's not what you meant in general, and not those exact words, as Bill was paraphrasing your thought process), and followed that up, in the same post telling him to suck it up, buttercup, which sounds an awful lot like "Get over it". I'm not even arguing if you're correct that he should be able to or not, since I know you'll fundamentally disagree on that, but your post is a contradiction of your own opinions there.

Many of you really have me scratching my head. And again, really, really putting words in my mouth, or more correctly drawing your own incorrect conclusions on what one person is saying but not another. I am getting whiplash trying to keep up.

I am pretty sure no one needs an 'island' analogy as most people have experienced depression to some degree. And it they haven't, they will at some point in their life.
I know the definition, have read it probably hundreds of times (for my own purpose), and it always comes away quite circular. "You can sort of be down but not for too long or too much but there is no hard definition on how much or how long until you are officially depressed". Classic medical mumbo-jumbo for "I really have no clue what exactly it is". Trust me, it you can find an island to stand on, you are not depressed, Now if you are treading water...

Who said anything about "just getting over it". You make it sound okay just to stay in a funk permanently and never make an effort to get out of it. Of course people are different. Some can handle adversity better than others, some choose to set in a state of depression, that is on them. I say that as a matter of fact, not to hate OR love on them. It is really that simple.
Literally every part of this is incorrect.

Latest Discussions

Back