Acid Reflux but oh well...

Meditation or maybe some qi gong work...
I would recommend this as well. Even if it's just to get the body to relax a little. However, it's one of those things that only works with an open mind. "A let's see what happens" approach is better than a negative one of disbelief. Visualization of moving energy around is key to get everything flowing. If he can't or doesn't want to do that much then there will be no results. It would be like riding with the brakes on.

I'm not saying that it's going to cure anything, but it may create enough changes that will allow the medicine to work better.

I’ve had ulcerative colitis since I was thirteen. Doctors told me not to eat this or that and gave me medications to take.

In my twenties, where I spent most of my time in the dojo, I noticed it never bothered me there.

In my thirties, a doctor, a new one, (the old one retired) told me to spend more time in the dojo. So I did.

He asked me what I did at home to settle my stomach when it was bothering me.

I told him I smoked a fattie, ate everything in the house and felt great. He told me, “Hey, whatever works for you.”

So far so good.

It makes me feel like a hypochondriac to talk about everything. Getting old sucks. Until age 46, I literally had zero health problems and took no medication. Things have changed.

In no particular order, I have PTSD from the military, as mentioned. I have Afib, for which I've had an ablation, and my left ventricular diastolic function is abnormal according to an echocardiogram I had this week. I have acephalgic migraines (migraines with aura, but without headaches), vertigo, and IBS. I just had a small squamous cell carcinoma removed from my scalp. I am a Type 2 diabetic; I've been diabetic for nearly 20 years. I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure, which are both under control because I take medication for them. I have a left vertebral artery 90% occlusion in the back of my neck, prior to the basilar artery, based on an MRA I had last week. My neurologist believes it was the result of an ancient TBI, probably when I was held down by a couple Army guys and kicked in the back of the head until I passed out back when I was an MP in the Marines.

Oh, and tendonitis in both shoulders that makes it difficult to punch at the dojo.

I'm on blood thinners, heartbeat slowing meds, and heart failure meds in addition to the diabetes and hbp / cholesterol meds. If I didn't have good health insurance, the cost of the meds alone would cost more than I actually earn.

I'm in my 64th year and I suspect I don't have too many more trips around the sun. I'm older than my father and my grandfather were when they passed.
Qi gong exercises and meditation will help for a lot of what you listed. It won't cure it but it will improve some of the issues you have.

I wouldn't be concerned about death and how long it may be. It will come when it comes and you may have more trips than you think. Enjoy the present and don't dwell on the one thing none of us can stop.
You would be a good person for Alternative Medicine. By that I mean things done in harmony with the medicine you are taking. Things like Implementing Qi Gong exercises, meditation, and breathing exercises to manage stress and improve relaxation. Diet change would be another, something that works along with the issues that you have. Sort of like "Food as medicine" approach where you eat specific foods that help address the issues.

Bill -- do you drink a lot of coffee or soda? Even caffeine free (I know some folks whith A fib limit or avoid caffeine) may be acidic enough to cause some heartburn.

For the PTSD.... I know quite a few who have had good success with EMDR if you can find a clinician who can do it.

Bill -- do you drink a lot of coffee or soda? Even caffeine free (I know some folks whith A fib limit or avoid caffeine) may be acidic enough to cause some heartburn.

For the PTSD.... I know quite a few who have had good success with EMDR if you can find a clinician who can do it.
I drink half a cup of coffee a day. I have to go through the VA for my PTSD and they only offer 15 weeks of PE treatment, which I've had.

Try this and when all else fails why not try Acupuncture.
…and crystals therapy and homeopathy and shamanic sweat lodges and asparagus casting and…

I drink half a cup of coffee a day. I have to go through the VA for my PTSD and they only offer 15 weeks of PE treatment, which I've had.
They’re finding that PTSD can be cured (yes cured) with psychedelics such as psilocybin, LSD and DMT…sometimes after a single dose! All the research and administration is being performed in the USA and Switzerland under tight guidelines and multidisciplinary clinician support.

From this mornings Arnie’s newsletter.

Does Coffee Cause Stomach Problems?​

Are you worried that your coffee habit might be harming your digestive health? A recent study suggests you can enjoy your cup of joe without fear of damaging your gut health.
If you’ve ever had a cup of coffee, we don’t need to tell you that it can get things moving in your body. But that doesn’t mean it harms your stomach as much as it speeds up some natural processes.​
Researchers analyzed more than 8,000 people, and coffee didn’t negatively impact stomach health, such as harming intestines or causing ulcers. The lack of association held across different levels of coffee consumption, meaning frequent coffee drinkers were not at increased risk for the studied digestive issues.​
But what about heartburn or indigestion? Can it cause reflux because coffee is acidic?​
A review of 15 studies found no link between coffee consumption and heartburn symptoms. It’s conceivable that it could lead to reflux, but it will likely only become an issue once you hit your fourth cup of coffee.​
It’s always best to consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice if you have specific digestive symptoms or conditions. That said, if you are healthy, enjoy coffee, and are concerned about digestive health, this study suggests you can continue drinking coffee without worry.​

Primary sources :

They’re finding that PTSD can be cured (yes cured) with psychedelics such as psilocybin, LSD and DMT…sometimes after a single dose! All the research and administration is being performed in the USA and Switzerland under tight guidelines and multidisciplinary clinician support.
The VA just recently turned down a request to begin treating PTSD with MDMA. There is nothing else that I have been offered except PE, which I've had, and that's all there is. I'm on my own after that, and non-military psychologists cannot deal with military PTSD - I've called many of them.

Interesting 🤔

thought VA

"The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) does not have a specific time limit for treating PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). As long as a veteran requires treatment for PTSD, the VA will continue to provide care."

Would imagine you've researched all this.

I know VA can be perplexing at times depending on the area and clinic one receives treatment from.
The only thing we have to work with..

Have had my own encounter's with it 😂

Some ok, some not 🤔

Some have mentioned psychotropics, would be very careful using,
Self medication can be problematic, if not dangerous to the user.

Should be used only under the supervision of a qualified care provider...

Best of luck...👍

Last edited:
The VA just recently turned down a request to begin treating PTSD with MDMA. There is nothing else that I have been offered except PE, which I've had, and that's all there is. I'm on my own after that, and non-military psychologists cannot deal with military PTSD - I've called many of them.
Try looking for psychologists used to working with cops. It's a little sideways, but there's a lot of overlap there... You might have some coverage through your regular health insurance even though the VA doesn't cover it. Unfortunately, negotiating the health insurance system is a more complex art than any martial art I've ever heard of...

Try looking for psychologists used to working with cops. It's a little sideways, but there's a lot of overlap there... You might have some coverage through your regular health insurance even though the VA doesn't cover it. Unfortunately, negotiating the health insurance system is a more complex art than any martial art I've ever heard of...
I do have coverage. They gave me a list and told me good luck.

Interesting 🤔

thought VA

"The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) does not have a specific time limit for treating PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). As long as a veteran requires treatment for PTSD, the VA will continue to provide care."

Would imagine you've researched all this.

I know VA can be perplexing at times depending on the area and clinic one receives treatment from.
The only thing we have to work with..

Have had my own encounter's with it 😂

Some ok, some not 🤔

Some have mentioned psychotropics, would be very careful using,
Self medication can be problematic, if not dangerous to the user.

Should be used only under the supervision of a qualified care provider...

Best of luck...👍
From my VA file:

DISCHARGE PLANNING/CRITERIA:
Treating Specialty: PCT / PTSD
Clinically Stable
Patient has completed a course of time-limited, evidence based psychotherapy.
UPDATED/RESOLVED/INACTIVATED PROBLEMS & COMMENTS:
RESOLVED PROBLEM: PTSD
Comments: Veteran completed Prolonged Exposure treatment.

Assessment:
Date Instrument Raw Trans Scale
08/07/2024 15:17 PCL-5 WEEKLY 45 PCL-5
07/31/2024 15:13 PCL-5 WEEKLY 46 PCL-5
Date Instrument Raw Trans Scale
08/07/2024 15:17 PHQ9 13 PHQ9
07/31/2024 15:13 PHQ9 14 PHQ9
07/17/2024 15:36 PHQ9 15 PHQ9
06/05/2024 15:06 PHQ9 12 PHQ9
05/22/2024 15:12 PHQ9 11 PHQ9
05/08/2024 15:10 PHQ9 11 PHQ9
04/17/2024 15:11 PHQ9 8 PHQ9