40 Annoyances in Modern Life

Unless it's tells you the next exercise that you should be doing, Nothing.
That’s what I use my note book for!

I should be clearer, if one is using a phone to improve one’s workout then I find that perfectly acceptable. But texting people incessantly and checking social media because of MOFO…sorry I mean FOMO…no. Capital punishment is called for.

Far from. it. I only have 2 options. Get your screen fixed or buy a new one. My phone is outdated. I have a Samsung 10 I can either get the screen fix or I can get a new one. Depending on how old the phone is when the screen breaks, I would be better off just buying a new one.
I had a Samsung Galaxy 4 until recently and jumped up to a 23s. My next phone will be 50% in hyperspace and prepare my evening meals.😐

I’m surprised anyone that knows you wants to talk to you 😉 It sounds like you have poor attentional skills and the ability to multitask. You should check your phone for tips on these issues.
ha ha ha.. Yeah should. That's a creat idea. Let's see what Co Pilot says.
Me:
"Someone told me that I should look on my phone for tips on why people talk to me all the time. What should I do?"

CoPilot
Talking to yourself is a common behavior, and it’s not at all “crazy.” In fact, it can be beneficial for your mental health. Here are some reasons why people talk to themselves:

Combat Loneliness: Sometimes, external self-talk helps compensate for social isolation. When you talk to yourself, it can make you feel less lonely, as if you have someone to converse with12.
Organize Thoughts: Verbalizing thoughts helps organize information, solve problems, and enhance cognitive processes. It’s like having an external aid to maintain concentration and mental clarity, especially during complex tasks13.
Self-Motivation: People also talk to themselves as a form of self-motivation and encouragement. It’s like giving yourself a pep talk1.
So, feel free to continue talking to yourself—it’s perfectly normal! 🗣️🌟

Turns out that CoPilot has a sense of humor too.

ha ha ha.. Yeah should. That's a creat idea. Let's see what Co Pilot says.
Me:
"Someone told me that I should look on my phone for tips on why people talk to me all the time. What should I do?"

CoPilot
Talking to yourself is a common behavior, and it’s not at all “crazy.” In fact, it can be beneficial for your mental health. Here are some reasons why people talk to themselves:

Combat Loneliness: Sometimes, external self-talk helps compensate for social isolation. When you talk to yourself, it can make you feel less lonely, as if you have someone to converse with12.
Organize Thoughts: Verbalizing thoughts helps organize information, solve problems, and enhance cognitive processes. It’s like having an external aid to maintain concentration and mental clarity, especially during complex tasks13.
Self-Motivation: People also talk to themselves as a form of self-motivation and encouragement. It’s like giving yourself a pep talk1.
So, feel free to continue talking to yourself—it’s perfectly normal! 🗣️🌟

Turns out that CoPilot has a sense of humor too.
😄😂 See, your telephone gives you sound advice.

A survey has gathered these as as modern life’s 40 top annoyances. What do you think?

1. Intermittent WiFi connection

2. Calls from unknown numbers

3. Forgetting passwords

4. Running out of phone battery

5. Late trains/buses

6. Paying extra for luggage on a flight

7. When your computer needs to 'update' seemingly every morning

8. Not being able to find the end of the sticky tape

9. Running out of mobile phone data

10. Not having enough leg room on a journey

11. Adverts with no 'skip' button on YouTube videos

12. Videos you're watching via a streaming service (such as Netflix) on TV that are buffering

13. When you crack your mobile phone screen

14. Autocorrect on your phone

15. When your phone runs out of space

16. Bars or shops that no longer accept cash payments

17. Websites with no email address

18. Not being able to fast forward live TV

19. No space on the tube

20. Tangled earphones

21. Mobile phone updates

22. Your takeaway taking more than 30 minutes to arrive

23. Getting the wrong order with your supermarket online shop

24. ‘Average speed' speed cameras

25. Someone already taking the username you want for a social media account

26. Apps that almost, but not quite, do what you need

27. People who call you, when you asked for a text or vice versa

28. When you straighten your hair and it rains

29. Answerphone messages

30. Having a dietary requirement like being gluten free or vegan

31. When the air conditioning takes too long to cool or heat your car

32. Not being able to pay-at-pump when you're in a rush

33. Forgetting to charge your wireless headphones

34. Never knowing if you can trust your car reversing sensors

35. People who don't pick up to withheld numbers

36. Living outside the delivery radius of the nearest Chinese restaurant

37. Getting photo prints which don't fit in the frame

38. Switching from iOS to Android, or vice versa

39. When you cancel your Spotify Premium so you have to sit through adverts

40. Your story not uploading to Instagram or Facebook

People that complain about most of those are in the category of All Things Pussy.

😄😂 See, your telephone gives you sound advice.
I asked the exact same question and got a totally different answer. Starting with "It's not uncommon for people to talk a lot and sometimes it can be challenging to manage conversations when someone constantly interrupts or talks over you. Here are a few Strategies you can try." lol

I got this answer after I asked the AI if it was trying to be funny. It said, "Sorry that my comments sounded humorous." It continued to respond as if it didn't know what it posted and then told me that I had to start a new conversation with it. I think CoPilot slipped up. It reminds me of that study that they did of Ai saying that Ai has learned how to deceive. lol

Alot of this can be solved by doing thing "the old fashioned way."

For example, actually wearing a watch. And I don't mean a "smart watch." A $20 digital Timex will last you a few years, and you'll never have to recharge it during the day.

The real annoyances to me is that many of the "old fashioned way" of doing things is now being taken away from us. For example, paying with cash. The availability of payphones - and if payphones were still around, I'd be less worried about my cell phone battery dying.

Another annoying thing, that many people may not have noticed - Greyhound getting rid of the bus stations in non-major cities. They contract with local convenience stores now. So you have no place to sit down and take shelter from the elements anymore. The suck factor is compounded even further by the fact that Greyhound is always three hours late these days, so you'll be standing around the convenience store that much longer.
To add to this, lack of maps. Back when I worked in a book store (almost 10 years ago), they were already starting to get rid of maps of the area. I need to make sure my phone battery stays charged, not because I need to call anyone or go online, but because I'm still often in places I don't have the layout memorized, and if it dies I'm SOL.

To add to this, lack of maps. Back when I worked in a book store (almost 10 years ago), they were already starting to get rid of maps of the area. I need to make sure my phone battery stays charged, not because I need to call anyone or go online, but because I'm still often in places I don't have the layout memorized, and if it dies I'm SOL.
Yeah, I think the ability to print directions off of Map Quest killed paper maps before GPS did.

Cars these days have built-in navigation systems. And even if you have an older vehicle, you can keep your cell phone charged in the car and use the GPS on it.

Paper maps are more useful on foot than driving. I've actually considered seeing if there are land navigation courses available to civilians.

How do you remember how much weight you should be lifting and when to add more if you're not recording it?
I don't remember reps. My workout is based on Minutes. I try to maintain a certain pace. It is either faster or slower as needed but I do it for a minute.

People that complain about most of those are in the category of All Things Pussy.
I don’t understand what you mean.

I don't remember reps. My workout is based on Minutes. I try to maintain a certain pace. It is either faster or slower as needed but I do it for a minute.
That’s novel.

If I didn’t have some sort of SatNav, I’d be unable to leave the house 😐

If I didn’t have some sort of SatNav, I’d be unable to leave the house 😐
Yes. For the past decade, I've been finding myself using the GPS when I don't need to. I've been going to these places for 20+ years, and I'm still turning on the GPS.

Yes. For the past decade, I've been finding myself using the GPS when I don't need to. I've been going to these places for 20+ years, and I'm still turning on the GPS.
You mean you don’t know how to turn it off 😉

I use GPS mainly for Traffic Monitoring. It helps me avoid some nasty traffic in Atlanta.

4. Running out of phone battery

9. Running out of mobile phone data

13. When you crack your mobile phone screen

14. Autocorrect on your phone

15. When your phone runs out of space

21. Mobile phone updates

29. Answerphone messages

33. Forgetting to charge your wireless headphones

37. Getting photo prints which don't fit in the frame

38. Switching from iOS to Android, or vice versa
I don't have a cell phone. None of these are my concern.

I use GPS mainly for Traffic Monitoring. It helps me avoid some nasty traffic in Atlanta.
I have a decent sense of direction, live in a city with streets laid out in a grid pattern and a sunny climate with clearly visible landmarks. It is generally pretty easy to find your way around using street numbers and cardinal directions. But yes, the phone is good when dealing with unexpected roadwork and traffic delays. Not just "Siri"though. I have to see a map. I like to visualize my route. My kids, on the other hand ...especially my daughter, can't find North to save her life and would be lost 6 blocks from her apartment without a phone. I find that incomprehensible.

Honestly though, that's exactly how they see me when it comes to using ordinary tech. :(

I've also been using gps for traffic monitoring. Back in my hometown, it didn't make too much of a difference..pretty much anywhere within an hour drive of my parents house, I knew how to get back to their house and/or my apartment once I moved out. And if I knew that, I knew how to get everywhere else.

Since moving though, I realized that it's not quite as easy elsewhere. I turn the gps on, follow it, and get where I need to go. I was a month into a new job before realizing that I didn't know how to get their without my gps. Now I'm trying to make a conscious effort to check for traffic before I leave, and turn it off (or place it face down in my cup drawer) unless I need it. Also doordashed for a bit to help me get the lay of the land. Slowly but surely I'm figuring it out.

Latest Discussions

Back