Young Coach or Old Coach

kingofjong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello

I have choice between going to an MMA academy where the head coaches are age 50 and up or to academy where the head coaches are between ages 30 and 36. I was not sure which one to choose. Both academies have Tapology pages with wins and losses. I would say the academy with ages 30 to 36 coaches have better accomplishments based on Tapology. I was unsure of which academy to pick. Which academy would people in this community pick?

Regards
Kingofjong

What are your goals? Visit each; see if you like the atmosphere better at one or the other. Will one help you reach your goals better than the other? Age of the coaches is likely a bit of a red herring; it doesn't really matter. How well they convey the skills and train their students does -- and age isn't really a part of that. The older coaches may have more experience -- or they may not.

The thing about older instructors is the they’ve come to realize just how much they don’t know. They can also impart, if they have any, wisdom to the equation. Then again maybe the younger instructors are wise beyond their years…
Ya gotta check it out and see.

The reason I ask this question is because the older instructors have competed in the UFC and other celebrity promotions. But the younger instructors have more fights and wins then the older instructor at not so prestigious promotions. I am mainly looking to learn how to fight and do some amateur fighting if possible. I am not planning to turn this into a career. Also lot of celebrity fighting looks like they focus on competition and sport aspect of fighting. I want something self defense and street fight application oriented. Has any one had a celebrity coach? are they as good as the hype surrounding them?

Yeah, I think I'm gonna add my voice to the chorus of "check them both out and see which one you like more". Even if you pick the best coach on paper, it doesn't mean they'll be the best coach for you.

The reason I ask this question is because the older instructors have competed in the UFC and other celebrity promotions. But the younger instructors have more fights and wins then the older instructor at not so prestigious promotions. I am mainly looking to learn how to fight and do some amateur fighting if possible. I am not planning to turn this into a career. Also lot of celebrity fighting looks like they focus on competition and sport aspect of fighting. I want something self defense and street fight application oriented. Has any one had a celebrity coach? are they as good as the hype surrounding them?
The additional context doesn't change much here. Both sound like they're solid and train people to compete. If you specifically want someone who's competed in the UFC training you, go that way. Otherwise, it's whichever one you like more.

Side note, I had to read a couple times that people who competed in the UFC are old, and do some mental math there.

I'll choose the young coach for the following reasons:

- You can spar/wrestle with him and learn personal experience from him.
- You won't pick up old man bad habit.

There is a big difference when a young coach is still training for fighting than an old teacher who only trains for health.

Hello

I have choice between going to an MMA academy where the head coaches are age 50 and up or to academy where the head coaches are between ages 30 and 36. I was not sure which one to choose. Both academies have Tapology pages with wins and losses. I would say the academy with ages 30 to 36 coaches have better accomplishments based on Tapology. I was unsure of which academy to pick. Which academy would people in this community pick?

Regards
Kingofjong
Older is better.

I’ve often thought about this conundrum in the context of having to, at some point in life, choose a surgeon: experience gained by performing the procedure many times or choosing a surgeon based upon being familiar with the latest ideas and research having just exited their training. Of course even old surgeons participate in continuing professional development as part of their registration.

In your learning, is it important to you that you see the technique performed as close to perfection as is possible so that you can attempt to mimic it? Or are you able to ‘transliterate’ a richly described technique with a ‘not so fluid’ demonstration? It’s rarely an either/or choice, but that’s the crux of the issue.

Ok. Let's approach this a different way. (Cos I was kind of playing with this idea anyway.)

In a fight you want to know your objective your delivery system and your priorities.

So objective is ultimately where you want to ultimately end up.

Your delivery system is how you get there.

And your priorities are what you want to watch out for along the way.

Now with that in mind we can kind of remove sport and street. And focus on what system let's you achieve those goals.or what changes you might need to make to the system.

And the advantage is. If you have a robust system. You can achieve your objectives in different ways. And make up new objectives on the fly.

Now martial arts is made up of these building block concepts. Dodge a punch. Stand up off the ground. Whatever.

These concepts can be rearranged in any order to address a different objective or a different priority.

Ok. So for self defence. Choose the school that has the widest range of sports rule sets. If all things being equal. Because you will adapt to different objectives and priorities.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back