What's wrong with his kicking skill?

This guy keeps falling down when he kicks. What's wrong with his kicking skill? Your thought?
The monk has "iron body" and "iron leg" skills developed.

The TKD guy's kicking style while good, they tend to bounce off the monks body

Liu Xingjun, or better known as Yi Long or One Dragon is a Kung Fu fighter out of the Shandong Province in China. He is often touted as a Shaolin Monk. Shaolin Kung Fu is the largest school or style of Kung Fu in China with many styles in southern and northern China using the name of Shaolin.

He began training at 14 years old. His father imparted stories of Chinese martial arts and he decided he wanted to become a fighter. He is a large proponent of traditional Martial Arts. He has a record of 43 fights with 36 wins, 7 losses and 1 draw.

1727303560061.png

Yi Long’s fight style is spectacular as he will often leave his guard down and rely on his inner powers to be able to sustain himself from damage. In kickboxing matches he normally does not kick and attacks with western style boxing making him very susceptible to attacks. He has an unorthodox training regime as he trains Tai Chi and other martial arts in order to prepare for Muay Thai matches. He often practices breathing techniques as well. He wears a traditional Kung Fu outfit of long yellow pants and keeps a shaved head adding to his iconic style.

Notice he practices his neck skill by hanging from a tree...

Last edited:
The TKD guy was not used to...
1. ...his kicks bouncing off the opponent as windwalker099 noted.
2. ...opponents with good footwork and distance control.
3. ...closer ranged attacks.

Given the above, the technique of his kicks was not his main problem. The three points above rendered them ineffective. One of the better kung fu fighters I've seen. Interesting video and I liked the announcer's commentary. No, I didn't understand a darn word, but I liked his enthusiasm.

Anyone slow the video to 1/4 speed and watch the taekwondo guys base foot when he kicks? Also his feet just when he falls in general? Those roundhouse kicks .... His base foot hops when the kick is extended- no connection to ground when the kick lands

That monk appears to be much stronger. I'm going to stir the pot here. I've been re reading a book by Mabuni. He states that kicks don't work well against a much stronger opponent......

That monk appears to be much stronger. I'm going to stir the pot here. I've been re reading a book by Mabuni. He states that kicks don't work well against a much stronger opponent......
As in a much stronger person than the kicker, or as in once someone reaches a certain level of strength, kicks stop being effective no matter what?

The first is true for anything - if someone's much stronger/better than you, none of your stuff will work too well. The second is empirically false - people at the top level of fighting get damaged from kicks all the time.

As in a much stronger person than the kicker, or as in once someone reaches a certain level of strength, kicks stop being effective no matter what?

The first is true for anything - if someone's much stronger/better than you, none of your stuff will work too well. The second is empirically false - people at the top level of fighting get damaged from kicks all the time.
I can't answer that, he just says kicks don't work well against a much stronger opponent. There's no further explanation around that statement in the book. It's written by the son of the founder of Shito ryu

Poor root and inexperience. Out of all the martial art systems sports TKD gets stripped the most when it comes to competition. Because of this, things that most people must utilize in terms of creating a stable base aren't used in TKD. Light feet and agility is the standard for TKD but it doesn't do well when there is someone willing to sweep and jam kicks. This on top of inexperience of going against different types of systems becomes a serious problems.

We can see evidence of this throughout the match especially when he tries to use his punching skills. It wasn't a good match up at all.

I can't answer that, he just says kicks don't work well against a much stronger opponent. There's no further explanation around that statement in the book. It's written by the son of the founder of Shito ryu
Kicks work against a stronger opponent so long as the power is being driven correctly and the kicks are targeting the correct places on the body.

The downside is that it takes longer and it takes more strikes to be effective. Even in Olympic TKD the kicks are targeting the wrong places at the wrong time. Punch kick combos are rare so they end up kicking guards for the majority of the match.

Yeah, the main issue is not with the TKD guys kicking skill. It's that apparently he is only used to a competition ruleset centered around long range foot tag. He wasn't used to opponents being allowed to catch his kicks, kick his legs, move in close to punching range, or sweep him. He didn't have the experience, the skill set, or the base to deal with those tactics. Furthermore, being exposed to those tactics made him very nervous, so he ended up being overly tentative with his kicks and leaning away, which made him more off-balance and robbed his kicks of power.

If he spent a year training and sparring in boxing, wrestling, and Muay Thai then he would have a foundation which would allow him to throw his TKD kicks with more confidence and success.

This guy keeps falling down when he kicks. What's wrong with his kicking skill? Your thought?
It's a sacrifice kick. That's a technique. You fall down to help get you the height and power (similar to the effect of a trebuchet) and to get your head out of striking range.

It's more effective on a padded surface, especially if there's a break in the action when there's a fall. It'd be a bad idea in other situations.

This thread is the equivalent of saying someone's fist sucks when they're doing a spearhand, or that someone's kick sucks because they hit with a knee on a knee strike instead of hitting with the foot.

You've been on this forum long enough that this can't be due to your being a beginner. But this post reads like a beginner saw this kick and thought "I stand up when I kick, he falls down, what an idiot, I'm so much better than him."

It's a sacrifice kick. That's a technique. You fall down to help get you the height and power (similar to the effect of a trebuchet) and to get your head out of striking range.

It's more effective on a padded surface, especially if there's a break in the action when there's a fall. It'd be a bad idea in other situations.

This thread is the equivalent of saying someone's fist sucks when they're doing a spearhand, or that someone's kick sucks because they hit with a knee on a knee strike instead of hitting with the foot.

You've been on this forum long enough that this can't be due to your being a beginner. But this post reads like a beginner saw this kick and thought "I stand up when I kick, he falls down, what an idiot, I'm so much better than him."
You'd know better than me, but those don't look like sacrifice kicks to me. At least a couple of times he throws his kick with base foot planted, it's when the kick is about to land he sort of hops his base foot. I only got to first Kyu in taekwondo but don't remember being taught that way. It's almost like he's throwing his kick, leaning a little and his momentum pulls his feet out from under him. Except for that little hop. Which I'm guessing just makes it easier to fall over. It's easier to see when the playback speed for the video is slowed down.

They don't look like deliberate sacrifice kicks to me. (Or if they are, I don't think they're well executed or appropriate for this particular match.) But it wouldn't surprise me if competing in a ruleset where he isn't penalized for sacrifice kicks has predisposed him to not worrying too much about having to keep his balance after kicking.

Yeah, the main issue is not with the TKD guys kicking skill. It's that apparently he is only used to a competition ruleset centered around long range foot tag. He wasn't used to opponents being allowed to catch his kicks, kick his legs, move in close to punching range, or sweep him. He didn't have the experience, the skill set, or the base to deal with those tactics. Furthermore, being exposed to those tactics made him very nervous, so he ended up being overly tentative with his kicks and leaning away, which made him more off-balance and robbed his kicks of power.

If he spent a year training and sparring in boxing, wrestling, and Muay Thai then he would have a foundation which would allow him to throw his TKD kicks with more confidence and success.
This was not a fair match. TKD guy has no root demonstrated in this video. No matter how much he trains, if he doesn’t develop a root he will get trounced by someone who does. Other than his opening gambit, he didn’t demonstrate the ability to project or receive force. He has obviously spent a lot of time training to develop his movement, but just as obviously never tested his ability against someone with real structure. Without any ruleset, or mat this TKD guy would be in serious trouble hitting the ground on every kick. Getting soccer kicked after falling on a hard surface is not so easy to shrug off multiple times. Several major things going wrong here in my opinion. This is not an indictment on TKD, rather the individual involved would need years of training to match the monk.

Throwing yourself to the ground in order to kick is just a bad plan. Falling because you lack a root and cannot balance your momentum is bad technique. Nothing against TKD at all. As you mentioned, outside a padded surface or a break in the action, it’s a bad idea. In my mind, it’s always a bad idea, bad technique, and least importantly, a bad look. But, I don’t compete, so my opinion is meaningless in this. It doesn’t mean he is an idiot, it means he is outmatched and outclassed in this particular video.

They don't look like deliberate sacrifice kicks to me. (Or if they are, I don't think they're well executed or appropriate for this particular match.) But it wouldn't surprise me if competing in a ruleset where he isn't penalized for sacrifice kicks has predisposed him to not worrying too much about having to keep his balance after kicking.
Great point. I cannot fathom training that on purpose, but again, I don’t compete, and I don’t train TKD, so I don’t know what I don’t know.

The monk is being very nice to him!
Anyway, with those kicks, without contact with earth, your at the whims of all sorts of physics. Hence, you fall down. Was this a jusf for fun demo…

Latest Discussions

Back