Well, I just taught my first class at my OWN dojo

yeah, it does feel great, but yes, it is scary too. if I mess up, now there is no one to save the day....

Over all, i am jazzed beyond measure.

Partucuarly since I am not trying to be "commercial" really. It got started just because a couple friends asked me to teach thier kids.

I converted my 2 car garage into a nice little dojo, got the floor carpeted, got a heavy bag, hung a flag up and BOOM

CeiCei,
The core of my system is American TKD. I am teaching all the base TKD techniques and forms. However, I have added select elements of Kenpo into the system.

The idea being, TKD is awesome for building power, and great kicking skills, but it neglects the hands. Kenpo concentrates on the hands, not so much on the kicking, BUT the Kenpo concept of FLOW and techniques building on each other is really the key to effective self defense IMO.

So I selected elements of Kenpo to add to the TKD system. At beginner level, the system is almost all TKD, to teach solid strong basics. By BB level, the student will be able to execute complex effective self defense with one technique smoothing transitioning into the next.

I like this concept—as I've said elsewhere (I think... ?), the way in which striking limbs become controlling limbs and vice versa in TKD and Karate is one of the really important aspects of the art which has, along with much else, become marginalized by the competitive side, where such flowing transitions make no sense given the scoring rules. But in actual combat, you better be setting up the next strike even as you're completing this one. And I think it's good to get people thinking along those lines from the start (there's a great British saying, Begin as you mean to go on, that I think rings true in the MAs as elsewhere). Those Kenpo ideas can be a great teaching tool to use on a TKD platform.

GREAT Job! You called your school a dojo? not a dojang? are you going to teach other arts besides Tae Kwon Do? Do not fogget to read the posts in school managent on the forms, it is full of lots of good info. All the best to you in the arts

Bret,
One funny thing about the Texas TKD scene, the instructors from the Jhoon Rhee line use a lot of japanese terms. I have never referred to the uniform as a Dobak for example, and we do "forms" or "kata" not hyungs.

whenever I have asked, I was told "thats what Mr Rhee called it"

(as a side note, Exile, since Mr Rhee was the first Korean to teach TKD in the states, and HE used as many japanese terms as korean, that makes the whole "TKD taken from shotokan" discussion more interesting doesnt it?)

Twin Fist,

Congradulations! I find teaching forces you to really understand what you are trying to teach. Hope you have students coming out of your ears!

About 20 years ago I had my own school. Ran it for 5 years and sold it (and it's till going!) after I got married and my wife wanted more time together, and yes we are still married!

Is your school rented or are you using space from another type of school (like a dance studio?) I used a dance studio to drum up students, then after I had enough to assure at least a break even income, I then rented a place, bought carpet, signs, painted walls, etc.... and opened the school.

There will be days only a few show up, maybe even only one! Stick with it and don't get discouraged. And even if just one shows up, really spend the time allocated teaching just as if 20 showed up!

I also found that if you demand little from your students, that is what you will get.. little. But if you demand alot, more times than not you will get what you demanded from them. They really want to earn the belts and not have them given to them.

Deaf

I have a feeling that in years to come you will look back on this experience and your first school with much pleasure and found remembrance. I also think that many times in your teaching carrier you will remember the fun and excitement of the moment.
Having large schools may pay the bills but teaching in a small school has many, many benefits and makes you much closer to your students

Congratulations, Twin Fist! It sounds like your first class was a lot of fun and challenging. I'm sure they loved the challenge and will be back. May you prosper.

Thanks Lynne,
things are going good, I have 2 new potentials comming to class on Monday, several students now have the entire first form, and people are progressing nicely.

I got a little office set up, and my patches designed and ordered.

Thanks Lynne,
things are going good, I have 2 new potentials comming to class on Monday, several students now have the entire first form, and people are progressing nicely.

I got a little office set up, and my patches designed and ordered.

That's wonderful. Maybe in a year and a half or so, you'll have some shiny red belts to help you teach...and then some black belts ;)

I can't imagine all the things that must be going through your mind. One day at a time, right?

Congradulations Twin Fist.

Sounds like you and your class had an excellent experience. I would ask of you, What did you learn about yourself and your personal art from your class and your teaching experience? Every class will be different and not only should the students learn something but you should as well.

Something I stress to myself and staff:
each time you step onto the training area and face a class your thoughts should be "This is the most important class I will ever have the opportunity to teach."

Good luck and all the best for you and your students.

Danny T

Thanks Danny,
I have found that explaining and demonstrating the theory behind a technique helps me understand it better. Reminding my students to start every reverse punch from thier rear foot makes me more aware of doing it myself.

It sounds like you have a great start on your new class! Congratulations and good luck!

I'm curious though. I was reading over everything you went over in class and you have what sounds like a great first lesson -- you covered a lot of really good foundational things. That's awesome. Keeps the students really interested when you've got them busy. My question though is how long of a class do you teach? That seems like quite a few things to go over so I was wondering.

usually 1 hour, to 1 hour 15, with 15 minutes warm up.

the way I have it set up, the lessons re-enforce each other.

For example, day 1, i showed them the fighting stance, jab and reverse punch, day 2, the first half of the first form, which is made up of fighting stances, jabs and reverse punches.

same with kicks, day 1, they learned front kicks and back kicks. Day 2, Kicking set, which is front kicks and back kicks.

two reasons, no one gets bored when they are shown 4 things in one hour, instead of 1 thing for the whole hour. plus, this way, they are encouraged not to miss class.

now there will be techniques or theories or lessons that will take up an entire class, we all know that, but for now? I am concentrating on getting them hooked.

it IS a business after all.

CeiCei,
The core of my system is American TKD. I am teaching all the base TKD techniques and forms. However, I have added select elements of Kenpo into the system.

I would like to know, if you don't mind disclosing this, just what kind of elements of the Kenpo you are including. Are you showing your Students the American Kenpo combinations? I ask, because those have always struck me as being so nice and robust.

For example, all of the "what ifs" that are shown in this video posted by user 'hector':
http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63724
There is so much more than what meets the eye at first glance!!!

So I selected elements of Kenpo to add to the TKD system. At beginner level, the system is almost all TKD, to teach solid strong basics. By BB level, the student will be able to execute complex effective self defense with one technique smoothing transitioning into the next.

I've thought about this before, myself. I am very inclined to think that any student with a strong background in TKD is in a good position to learn some other martial arts. I have been told by an American Kenpo teacher that I had good power.

Now, you keep the stances as TKD stances, not turning the front foot to an angle as they do in the American Kenpo? I prefer to keep the forward foot straight forward, as I was taught in TKD, even when I was trying to learn some Kenpo. That was too much of a habit to give up.
I have a feeling that in years to come you will look back on this experience and your first school with much pleasure and found remembrance. I also think that many times in your teaching carrier you will remember the fun and excitement of the moment.

Right!

This is only the ground floor. I hope that one of these very students now will persist with you and eventually be your 1st Gup Student! They will be a "plank owner" if you will in your School! Who knows? Perhaps the 14 year old???

All the best with this, if I were in TX, I would be there to try to get instruction!

several students now have the entire first form, and people are progressing nicely.

Oh, this is going to be something when the newness wears off of the students and they start to get loud!

and my patches designed and ordered.
Yes, this makes it serious -- to have a school patch! That means its not some informal thing -- this is deliberate martial arts training!

Latest Discussions

Back