Well, I just taught my first class at my OWN dojo

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you folks know how it went.

Had 4 people in class

38 yr old male
9 yr old male
19 yr old female
14 yr old female.

I walked them through how to bow into the dojo, showed them how to line up for bowing in.

did our warm ups

first thing after warm ups was front kicks, then back kicks with one hand on the wall for balance

did some head 6 inches feet 6 inches

taught fighting stance, which led into jabs and reverse punches

taught horse stance, and practiced low blocks and high blocks

finished up with them punching the heavy bag with the jab abd reverse punches, then both in combination.

Then we lined up, I talked about self defense, and when it is allowed to use your skills and when it isnt. We bowed, and recited the tenents of TKD and the Kenpo Creed

All four said they would be back, and one paid for 3 months up front on the spot.

Also had 4 potentials watching class, and the first thing they said was "when can we start?"

Over all, I am pretty stoked.

Thanks to Terry and everyone that gave me encouragement and ideas/inspiration while I was working towards this.

Great start, TF, it sounds like. We drill a lot of those same fundamentals, like the front hand jab/reverse punch/double punch, just about every class. (I gotta say, after more than five years, I'm still not tired of doing them.)

Hope the next class you teach, and the one after that, and.... are just as much of a kick as this first one was!
icon14.gif

Terrific! :highfive: Keep it up! Sounds like you're doing great.
Then we lined up, I talked about self defense, and when it is allowed to use your skills and when it isnt. We bowed, and recited the tenents of TKD and the Kenpo Creed.
Is your class a combination of TKD and Kenpo, or do you teach the two styles separately in the same class? If not, is it just the use of tenets and the creed as part of the class basis?

- Ceicei

CONGRATS!!!!! The best of luck...

Congrats on your first class. Best of luck in the future :)

TF congrats, I am so proud that the first day went well, remember to keep the pace. Any chance of some pics of the school?

Congrats on your first day in your own school.
A small starting class is not a bad thing it gives you time to teach the basics to a few who will be able to help you as the class goes.
Keep us informed on how its going

A bold step, TF :rei:. The best of luck on your path. I don't have any great wisdom to add to what has gone before other than to say that an easy road seldom goes anywhere interesting; so when troubles arise, let them guide your steps onward rather than drive you back.

Congratulations, T-F, sounds like you did a yeoman's job the first time out. :asian: A word to the wise, the numbers are fun to keep track of, but don't take them too seriously. Your growth as a club is never as good as it looks, and never as bad as it looks. Remember some old time teachers only taught their arts to a handful of students--in a lifetime. ;)

Congratulations Twin Fist! You're well on your way!

I wish you all the best with your school.

Sounds like the accomplishment of a very long term goal. I hope it bears you fruit for many years to come. I am sure your teachers' are very proud to have you sharing the art that was passed down to you. When students come into your school, it is now up to you to help educate and train the next generation! That is Great!

Good luck to you!

Farang - Larry

CeiCei,
The core of my system is American TKD. I am teaching all the base TKD techniques and forms. However, I have added select elements of Kenpo into the system.

The idea being, TKD is awesome for building power, and great kicking skills, but it neglects the hands. Kenpo concentrates on the hands, not so much on the kicking, BUT the Kenpo concept of FLOW and techniques building on each other is really the key to effective self defense IMO.

So I selected elements of Kenpo to add to the TKD system. At beginner level, the system is almost all TKD, to teach solid strong basics. By BB level, the student will be able to execute complex effective self defense with one technique smoothing transitioning into the next.

Terrific! :highfive: Keep it up! Sounds like you're doing great.

Is your class a combination of TKD and Kenpo, or do you teach the two styles separately in the same class? If not, is it just the use of tenets and the creed as part of the class basis?

- Ceicei

Sounds like a good mix - congratulations on your new dojang!

Just wanted to let you folks know how it went.

Had 4 people in class

38 yr old male
9 yr old male
19 yr old female
14 yr old female.

I walked them through how to bow into the dojo, showed them how to line up for bowing in.

did our warm ups

first thing after warm ups was front kicks, then back kicks with one hand on the wall for balance

did some head 6 inches feet 6 inches

taught fighting stance, which led into jabs and reverse punches

taught horse stance, and practiced low blocks and high blocks

finished up with them punching the heavy bag with the jab abd reverse punches, then both in combination.

Then we lined up, I talked about self defense, and when it is allowed to use your skills and when it isnt. We bowed, and recited the tenents of TKD and the Kenpo Creed

All four said they would be back, and one paid for 3 months up front on the spot.

Also had 4 potentials watching class, and the first thing they said was "when can we start?"

Over all, I am pretty stoked.

Thanks to Terry and everyone that gave me encouragement and ideas/inspiration while I was working towards this.

That's awesome! That's a goal I wish to accomplish in a couple of years. That's so great that you're accomplishng that! :ubercool:

Latest Discussions

Back