Water Style

Yes
Is there any special reason that LHBF also like to "push" and not like to punch?
Yes I know you are not a big fan of push. LHBF is sometimes described as a combination of taiji, Hsing I and BaGua, so there is probably a punch in there somewhere. It is an extremely long form. Patterson teaches it in eight sections.

Kung Fu Wang The only explanation I have heard concerning the push is from.Liang DeHua. (I’m probably spelling it wrong.)

Yang Lu Chan had a problem on his hands. He was teaching the Royal family. on the one hand, he wanted to neutralize their attacks, but on the other, he knew he could not do serious damage to the royal family so pushing became more common. I’ll see if I can find his discussion of this. Have a great day.

Are you a LHBF practitioner, by chance ?

Do you feel the clip is representative of LHBF 🤔
That’s the reason I said there are several different lines all kinds of different presentations of it. It’s a bit overwhelming to look at them all unless you are really interested

It’s a bit overwhelming to look at them all unless you are really interested

Was referring to the video posted, the performance of the practitioner.
Do you feel his six harmony usage is correct. 🤔

Was referring to the video posted, the performance of the practitioner.
Do you feel his six harmony usage is correct. 🤔
Patterson makes two important points concerning that video presentation:

One, explaining all the possible applications inherent in the form would result in a two or three hour tape. So he shows one per sequence.

Two, for safety reasons he has chosen to use a softer taiji energy rather than a harsher energy. He doesn’t want to hurt his student.

As for me I think it’s representative of the lhbf applications I have seen on YouTube

Water principle/strategy is used in many MA systems. You attack me, I respond.

look at it a little differently....
Example of water principal in use

Understand in 10 seconds: Mr. Sun Lutang’s drill fist belongs to water, and he is meticulous in Xingyi Quan’s drill fist and change of strength (XingyiQuan)

Again, if your opponent doesn't move in, you can't apply water principle on him.
Your view...not mine 🤔

Movement is relative..

If one does not move in reaction to a movement, non-movement is moving.
Like a rock meeting water in a stream..

If one moves in, as a reaction to non-movement, movement is moving..
Like the water in a stream meeting rock.

If the rock and water move together,,,they both can be said to be not moving...

"non-movement can be considered as movement relative to something that is moving.
This concept is rooted in the idea of relative motion, which is a fundamental principle in physics."

Last edited:
Yes, “Six Harmony” is a term I’ve seen applied to a variety of CMA, not just lhbf

Six
This is a good article on 6x8:

1725327706981.jpeg

Mmm, if no one coming at you there’s no opponent. In ring or mat of course someone must eventually charge in.

taiji sayings regarding movement

“he moves, I move first" (他动我先动)
"start late but arrive first" (后发先至)

The first: timing
The ability to know when the other will move, before they move.
Three levels', after, during, before.

The second: positioning
In moving towards, you are the end point the other is moving to, your position is already there.
In moving away, you are the starting point, they are moving away from, to their next position.
In each case one knows the start and end

all refer to the saying "leading is following, following is leading" 领是随,随是领"

The 'water' principle emphasizes control achieved through harmony and sensitivity, rather than force and impact.
The ability to seamlessly switch between leading and following is a key Taiji skill, exemplified by different styles and masters of the art

Back