Vegan martial artists...?

I think science once recommended the diet pyramid of the 60’s. They once hated eggs, then they loved eggs. I know people that read the paper every day hoping to confirm that coffee is good for them. Salt is bad, oh wait, so is dehydration. Dark chocolate, wine, avocados all were evil. For the most of society, eating a balanced diet is heathy. But then again, I think most animals are probably yummy. Ever had rattlesnake? Makes for good chili! Or quail wrapped in bacon? Amazing! I not for eating dog, but if it came down to my family starving, adios Fido.

I think science once recommended the diet pyramid of the 60’s. They once hated eggs, then they loved eggs. I know people that read the paper every day hoping to confirm that coffee is good for them. Salt is bad, oh wait, so is dehydration. Dark chocolate, wine, avocados all were evil. For the most of society, eating a balanced diet is heathy. But then again, I think most animals are probably yummy. Ever had rattlesnake? Makes for good chili! Or quail wrapped in bacon? Amazing! I not for eating dog, but if it came down to my family starving, adios Fido.
Coffee is good for you. Great source of fiber. :)

Reminds me of this classic:

Coffee is good for you. Great source of fiber. :)

Reminds me of this classic:

That was realistic. And presented in a humorous way. I remember all those public service announcement types of advice.

As youngsters, we ate anything and everything. Especially if you were training. What fun that was.

To me, if I had had a chief and unlimited resources when I was young, I’d have eaten Italian food at every meal. Lots of it.

I’d do the same thing now if I could afford it.

Tomato sauce, olive oil, lean meats, pasta, good red wine and ricotta cheese makes timing and strength better. I heard that one day a long time ago and am still studying the premise to find out if it’s actually true.

Wish me luck. And pass the Parmesan.

just wondering if there are any vegan martial artists out there... if your training is better or worse because of your diet... that type of stuff... i personally am vegan and train in muay thai, fu style tai chi, and gen-jitsu karate... and i think that veganism has really picked up my game...
I've been vegan 30 years and training for 20 of them (Bak Mei). Recovery time is always short and stamina never suffered. There are several professional athletes that have gone plant based and written about positive changes to recovery times from injuries, overall energy and feeling better and less lethargic overall. And it is super easy to maintain in the current age in most places that aren't considered food deserts.

It is easy to get all of the nutrients and the proteins and generally healthier as well (unless you only consume junkfood).

well where I live in the past there was a name for vegans ... dead in the winter.
vegans are a modern thing in the world except for very very mild climates. you can not survive on only plant produced food in colder climates and with out some sumplaments is unable to provide you with all the nutrients needed. Humans are omnivores and need the mix of animal meat and fish and vegetation and nuts in variety to be healthy.
Luckily we live in the future and have things called grocery stores, canning, freezers, and international trade. Humans can indeed live and be healthy on solely plant based diets (there are tonnes of papers written on this, and several more on the cancer and heart disease fighting aspects of veganism as well).

"There are two kinds of cardiologists: Vegans, and those who haven't read the data." — Dr. Kim Williams, President of the American College of Cardiology 2015-2016, Head of Cardiology dept. At Rush University Medical Center​

I’m a great advocate of plant based diets although I say of myself that ‘I’m a vegetarian who usually takes the vegan option.’

When our ancestors roamed the planes of Africa they likely hardly ate any meat, as it was hard to obtain being very labour intensive to hunt. So they subsisted on roots, seeds the odd grub and on a good day berries and fruits but occasionally on the spoils of a successful hunt. That’s how are bodies are designed to fuel themselves, low calories, and a bit of everything but very little meat. Some of our animal cousins are vegan and are yet enormously muscular and strong.

The issue these days is that you consume large amounts of animal flesh, especially in the US and U.K. and the way it is produced…hormones, antibiotics, chemicals…not to mention the ethics of disgusting factory farming and slaughter, calls into question whether you should be eating it at all. I really do believe that two things would significantly reduce health issues in the West: a reduction of calories consumed by about a third and a decimation of animal products consumption.

Yes, I know many vegan martial artists. Back in Boulder, Colorado, there is practically a whole commune of them. I have been vegetarian, but not vegan. I don't know that it affected my training one way or the other, it didn't have any negative effect.
Naropa?

Latest Discussions

Back