Throwing it all away..

good one...but to give a serious answer...not enough to some people...and too much for others

that may not make sense...but i'm serious about it

Maybe if senior's were encouraged to help out more once they get to BB they would stick around?? Maybe take a more active role in the Dojo.

KenpoTess said:
I'm just wondering why someone would devote their time (years) to a Martial Art and then just walk away from it. Have you met people like this? Is it because they're no longer learning? Or is it Money/lack thereof? Time constraints? Do they ever go back or can they go back? Switch instructors til they are labeled 'jumpers'? Do the instructors take them back?

We've had students walk away, one had already tested for BB and passed.. and just out of the blue.. Left and never came back.. and he never got his promotion..

So if there's problems .. and the student doesn't communicate.. should they be 'dumped' or should they be given a 2nd chance?

Thoughts?
~Tess
Life happens. Most of our ex-students keep in touch,m and many want to come back but, it just doesn't fit. Can't really stop it.

I am surprised no one seems to have thrown out this reason why people stop coming to class.

People change, and as they change so does their outlook and priorities.

I am not talking about those folks that drop out just after reaching black belt. I am talking about the folks who stop coming as often and then stop coming at all. They end up filling their lives with other interests and hobbies that they find more filling and they have to make a choice to concentrate on one rather than spread themselves thin.

I did a few things when I was younger that I do not do now. My likes and dislikes also changed as I grew and was exposed to new things and got deeper understanding into things I had been doing. New experiences give birth to new ways of looking at things. I gave some of my old hobbies up to devote more time to martial arts and such. It may have been that if I had slightly different priorities I would have dropped martial arts.

In martial arts I have stopped going to some teachers and started going to other teachers. Not becasue the old teachers were bad, but because I needed more work in what the new teachers were doing.

Is it so difficult to beleive that if someone was building up their life that they would drop martial arts to concentrate on an area they thought they needed more work on?

Latest Discussions

Back