This is why modern self defence trends get on my nerves.

good point. I tend to think a lot of road rage is like a lot of bar fights. Very few bar fights are truly random.

Speaking just about driving, if folks would get past their misguided sense of road justice, using their cars to block lanes, slow speeders down, or keep people from even the appearance of cutting a line, we would all be safer on the roads. It’s juvenile.

Don’t get me wrong. Guys who split lanes on their bikes (where it isn’t legal like here), speed, weave in busy traffic, cut lanes, camp in the left lane, etc. they are d-bags. But when you retaliate and drive aggressively in response, you are as much the problem as them.

Just be friendly, even when people aren’t friendly to you. Driving isn’t a competition. No good comes from getting worked up behind the wheel. You end up pissed off. The other guy is also probably pissed off. You’re both telling a version of the story where the other person is the a-hole. And sometimes, rare as it may be, someone will be seriously hurt or killed.
Stuff like this makes me not wanna get a car.

I live in the City of Irvine in CA. I have to travel to find danger. In fact, there is no “evil eye” here. If you stare at someone to long here, they bow their head and run away. In LA, if you stare, it considered a challenge.

I live in the City of Irvine in CA. I have to travel to find danger. In fact, there is no “evil eye” here. If you stare at someone to long here, they bow their head and run away. In LA, if you stare, it considered a challenge.
In Seattle, we are a bunch of introverts. As a group, we generally avoid each other making it easy to avoid trouble. I have heard it referred to as the Seattle Freeze.

When people stare at me, I'll typically ask them "What's up, bro? You need something from me?"

And I'm always sure to ask it in a tone that's non-aggressive, yet firm. You'll find that in most instances, they're zoned out and just happened to be looking in your direction at the time.

If they are trying to stare you down, I think that looking away and trying to ignore it (when both you and the person staring at you both know you saw him staring at you) is going to send the message that you're a soft target. But I'm also not going to engage in a stare-down contest with anyone.

I want to make it clear to the person staring at me that I know they're staring, and that I'm ready for whatever they're thinking about doing.

Latest Discussions

Back