This is why modern self defence trends get on my nerves.

https://www.reddit.com/r/martialarts/s/TUj1TMNArv
There is no way something like this could realistically happen right? Just running into someone so unhinged that calling them out for cutting you off is enough to make them wanna gun you down? Like seriously 0-100. Forget jail someone like that needs to be executed.
If someone fingered me without my permission, I would definitely shoot them with a urine-filled water pistol.

The number of young men who abuse steroids, making the ‘red mist’ descend, is very common and I can see that happening although the lack of firearms in Europe means it is unlikely to result in death.

Similarly, a week ago a gym custodian was followed home and shot to death over cleanliness at the gym.

Oh, I left my last gym because of poor cleanliness and if I had a urine-filled water pistol, I’d’ve soaked the belligerent cleaner who insisted she’d cleaned the place even though the grass and mud on the floor suggested otherwise .💦🔫

I dislike all self-defence training since the scenarios in which one could be assaulted are infinitely variable and you cannot train for that. Just be able to kick and punch really well (this is martial arts training, isn’t it?), hope you’re not discombobulated to the point of freezing when the attack comes (you can’t reliably train for that) and your sphincters remain firmly closed.

Oh, I left my last gym because of poor cleanliness and if I had a urine-filled water pistol, I’d’ve soaked the belligerent cleaner who insisted she’d cleaned the place even though the grass and mud on the floor suggested otherwise .💦🔫
WILL YOU QUIT SCREWING AROUND?!

That’s pretty unlikely now I know I’ve irritated you 😈
Oh damn it but seriously your right there are too many variables to consider but the one that you can count on is that most attackers are gonna have some kind of sense and usually will only do things out of desperation or won't go full on lethal. If they do go that far specially over something so ignorant then...refer to the boondocks for a certain category of "Moments"

Oh damn it
You clearly didn’t have nasty older brothers when growing up.
but seriously your right there are too many variables to consider but the one that you can count on is that most attackers are gonna have some kind of sense and usually will only do things out of desperation or won't go full on lethal. If they do go that far specially over something so ignorant then...refer to the boondocks for a certain category of "Moments"
I’d go further and say that self-defence training may give one a false and dangerous sense of security.

The best self-defence is being 50+ years old because you’re less likely to frequent bars/clubs where people are drunk and aggressive, you won’t walk around dark streets in rough areas of town (you’ll drive in your car with the windows up and the A/C on) and you tend to be a little more mellow when it comes to minor slights from other people.

You clearly didn’t have nasty older brothers when growing up.

I’d go further and say that self-defence training may give one a false and dangerous sense of security.

The best self-defence is being 50+ years old because you’re less likely to frequent bars/clubs where people are drunk and aggressive, you won’t walk around dark streets in rough areas of town (you’ll drive in your car with the windows up and the A/C on) and you tend to be a little more mellow when it comes to minor slights from other people.
I AM the older brother. And honestly bars are just dumb period. You either go to get hammered or to get laid. thats it.

I dislike all self-defence training since the scenarios in which one could be assaulted are infinitely variable and you cannot train for that. Just be able to kick and punch really well (this is martial arts training, isn’t it?), hope you’re not discombobulated to the point of freezing when the attack comes (you can’t reliably train for that) and your sphincters remain firmly closed.

There is no way something like this could realistically happen right? Just running into someone so unhinged that calling them out for cutting you off is enough to make them wanna gun you down? Like seriously 0-100. Forget jail someone like that needs to be executed.
It can happen. I posted recently in here, I flipped someone off and their response was to spend the next half mile actively trying to crash into me until I lost them at the next exit.

It's not likely, but that's a risk you're taking each time you piss off a random stranger.

I can't see the video. I've wasted whole weekends scrolling through Reddit, so I added it to "AppBlock" (I handed the phone to my wife asked her to set a pin and not tell me what it is).

But, yes, this happens. People die in road rage incidents all the time - maybe even everyday.

I remember one specific incident - I can't remember whether it was local or not - but a guy and his girlfriend had a car issue (I think it was a flat tire, I can't remember), and they offered a pedestrian walking by $20 to help them get back on the road. As soon as they were done, the guy who helped them asked for the $20. The driver pulled a gun and shot him.

The victim was an older man who likely wouldn't have been able to do anything had the driver simply flipped him the bird and got back into his vehicle to drive off. So there wasn't even any real "rage" involved here.

The best thing to do in a road rage situation is to ignore the enraged driver if you can, and drive to the nearest police station if you're being followed. Even if you're armed, you probably don't want to get into a gunfight (at least I hope not).

Last edited:
I can't see the video. I've wasted whole weekends scrolling through Reddit, so I added it to "AppBlock" (I handed the phone to my wife asked her to set and pin and not tell me what it is).

But, yes, this happens. People die in road rage incidents all the time - maybe even everyday.

I remember one specific incident - I can't remember whether it was local or not - but a guy and his girlfriend had a car issue (I think it was a flat tire, I can't remember), and they offered a pedestrian walking by $20 to help them get back on the road. As soon as they were done, the guy who helped them asked for the $20. The driver pulled a gun and shot him.

The victim was an older man who likely wouldn't have been able to do anything had the driver simply flipped him the bird and got back into his vehicle to drive off. So there wasn't even any real "rage" involved here.

The best thing to do in a road rage situation is to ignore the enraged driver if you can, and drive to the nearest police station if you're being followed. Even if you're armed, you probably don't want to get into a gunfight (at least I hope not).
Yes, don’t engage with them even make eye contact and get away quickly!

i think there is a real connection to self defense here and appreciate the discussion. When surrounded by a lot of metal, some folks just seem to forget any sense they have. Where they may be very self defense minded outside of a car, in it they are very much looking for a fight. And what these folks may not realize is that they are every bit as dangerous to other drivers as the motorcycles splitting lanes or sports cars weaving through rush hour traffic.

In America, shooting is always a possibility. But the real danger is people using their cars as weapons. As @Monkey Turned Wolf shared, people will just lose their minds and become focused only on retaliating. It can be very dangerous. Heck, we’ve recently seen some examples on this forum.

I appreciated in an earlier thread how @Monkey Turned Wolf described how he used to do things like block people from changing lanes. I think that’s very common. In know 20 years ago I did the same sometimes if I thought someone was getting one over on me.

When some people choose to go about armed, they stop thinking defensively, in my opinion. They think "Oh well, at least I've got a gun. I'll be OK."

The thought process should be the opposite. Carrying a gun is a serious responsibility, and one should be MORE vigilant about not getting into altercations, not less.

Road rage is one example of this. Someone does something stupid, selfish, or careless on the road, and both parties instantly engage in bumper cars, putting everyone around them danger, because both think of themselves as ultimately invulnerable, because they both have guns. Neither party is willing to disengage. Eventually someone gets shot.

Heinlein used to say that "an armed society is a polite society." I used to believe that. Now I believe that an armed society is a careless society. They are far more willing to get themselves into situations where a gun will be employed by one or both parties.

Latest Discussions

Back