The Sensei-Senpai Relationship

Basically, Mr Miyagi/Daniel LaRusso.

It’s a nice notion but the article’s definitions are far too idealised much akin to describing the perfect father and son relationship: vanishingly rare.

The sensei / senpai or senpai / kohai relationships are more in tune with the traditional karate dojo, where so much more is taught than just how to punch and kick and block. It is not commonly seen in the West to the best of my knowledge.

Even though our dojo is more traditional than most (I believe), we also do not cleave tightly to that model of mentorship. More is done by example than by specific training in the ways other than the art itself.

It’s a nice notion but the article’s definitions are far too idealised much akin to describing the perfect father and son relationship: vanishingly rare.
It is the basis for the deshi form of studentship, which as you say is quite rare these days. It implies a discipleship which not many find desirable anymore. Even the term disciple can have strong negative connotations in the West.

Not at all. Daniel did not have any senpai duties or kohai to guide. He was more of a denshi.
It’s a nice notion but the article’s definitions are far too idealised
Many things relating to personal relationships are idealized. I thought the article's representations were pretty accurate. To sum up the core role of the TMA senpai:

Act at a bridge between the sensei and rest of the students.
Act as an example of proper dojo behavior and customs.
Encourage dojo cohesiveness and morale.
Assist in teaching lower belts.
Handle minor problems concerning students.

In other words, if the sensei is an army officer, the senpai is the sergeant. IMO, this model can be applied in not only strict traditional dojo, but less formally structured ones as well. While based on seniority, it is a position that is (should be) naturally assumed by the advanced student out of a sense of responsibility to his dojo. When the school is simply a business or exercise gym this mindset is less apt to evolve.

Of course, all the above is dependent on the sensei's vision.
It is the basis for the deshi form of studentship.
Historically, it is the opposite (if I'm understanding your context). Senpai only exist in a dojo with multiple students. Before this time there was only master/denshi relationship. It's more correct to say the denshi was the basis for the senpai.

vanishingly rare.
True. But not extinct by any means.

Latest Discussions

Back