Tell me something good...

Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming! Yeah, I know thereā€™s angst at some holidays sometimes, but Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming!

My dog is the best of all the dogs Iā€™ve had over forty years. You canā€™t beat that with a beating machine.

I have a great Martial Arts forum filled with people as devoted to Martial Arts and are as crazy as I am.

The novel Iā€™m writing is finally starting to come together quite nicely.

The election will be over soon.

The weather is pretty nice today.

Some people held a surprise 50th birthday party for one of my former students last weekend. They called me. I spoke with eleven of my former students. We spent over an hour on the phone laughing and playing the ā€œremember the time..ā€ game.

Did I mention that Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming?!!
Nothing better than a staffy!

I got nothing.
My good news is that you still show up to chat, even with all that you have to deal with. I recently had some major injuries and I thought of your situation and it helps me to "exhale my situation and push through with what I can and when I can"

The one thing I don't want to do is quit small victories are still victories.

But for your good news, you have people to hear you out.

Imagine such a thing in the 1980s. They would have branded you a Satan worshipper and run you out of town!
Depends. I started playing in the early 80s. No one thought we were satan worshipers. Everyone just thought we were nerds.

Glad itā€™s more mainstream now. My youngest is in a group that meets once a week.

Very soon Christmas will be here and you can all gorge yourselves, sing carols, drink your fill and become irritated by members of your family out staying their welcome. Merry bas*ard Christmas!
Lol definitely not my good news. Maybe I should buy some stock that makes money during that time. I'm pretty sure that would change my pespective.

Last week I managed to save $200 and earn the satisfaction of learning a new skill by repairing my own washing machine. (Replaced the suspension rods.)

The repairman quoted me a price for the job which was a little more than I paid for the washer in the first place. But since he understood that wasn't a worthwhile deal for me, he showed me how to do the repair myself. It ended up costing $137 for the diagnostic service call plus $40 for aftermarket parts from Amazon. (The total quote from the professional was $382.)

With my wife lending an extra pair of hands it took me about 75 minutes, but much of that was figuring out exactly what I was doing. I could probably get it down to 45 minutes on a second try.

I'm not the most experienced handyman, so it's always satisfying to be able to fix something on my own.
I like when professionals lthrow a helping hand like that. I like to hear that it's not all about money.

Lol definitely not my good news. Maybe I should buy some stock that makes money during that time. I'm pretty sure that would change my pespective.
I was being ironic. I dislike Christmas and we have about two weeks of it over here šŸ¤¢

What is the setting?
It's a system, not a setting. Think similar to dnd, but combat is different, classes are not only different but have a completely different way of being decided and leveling up, the magic system is entirely different, and there is a heavier focus on crafting and downtime (which are both also different) then dnd.

For the purposes of the playtest though, I'm running a campaign in essentially fantasy viking-age denmark. I'm familiar enough with the layout, cultures and mythology of the time that it's pretty easy for me to put something together there, to see how everything fits.

Depends. I started playing in the early 80s. No one thought we were satan worshipers. Everyone just thought we were nerds.

Glad itā€™s more mainstream now. My youngest is in a group that meets once a week.
Even in the 2000's, it was pretty much the nerdiest activity you could do. I'd talk to self-proclaimed nerds that spend their day watching star wars/star trek, playing video games or doing engineering, and even they would say that dnd was too nerdy for them.

My friend and I have been building a tabletop rpg system for about a year and a half at this point. Our main document, which has most but not all the rules, is sitting at a little over 100 pages. We've done playtests, but mostly with people that have been involved in the editing process, and us trying to balance different rules and aspects of the system.

We finally got it to the point that we felt it was ready to be tried out for real, and I started running an "alpha" campaign with it yesterday, with people that hadn't seen it before. The first session went really well, everyone could understand it without too many issues, and everyone had a good time. I'm excited to see it continue developing.
Table top Rocket Powered Grenade šŸ˜²!!!!!

Something good, eh? Well, heck, why not?

So I mentioned in passing that my wife is currently fighting cancer. It's breast cancer, stage 4, grade 3, with 12 metastases in her bones (spine and ribs) and, it turns out, 1 in her liver. I say it turns out because while a spot was seen during MRIs, it never lit up during her TEP scans. The only way anyone knows it was cancer is that it reacted to the treatments (and by reacting, I mean that it's basically gone). Anyway, here's a timeline:

30 June 2022, she gets her diagnosis. Turns out her serious back pain was not the herniated disk everybody thought but cancer attacking her L4 vertebra.

End of July 2022, she starts radiation therapy to at least get the L4 under control, as it's the only thing causing her any issues (aside from, y'know, the whole life threatening thing). Pain goes away, mobility returns.

10 August 2022, she meets her oncologist and starts a mix of hormone therapy and targeted therapy. Basically, she needs to take some pills every day and get a couple of injections every month. She also pursues some alternative treatments (energy healing, hypnotherapy, some supplements and hyperbarric treatments).

March 2023, she gets her second TEP scan. The radio-oncologist calls to tell her that, of the 12 active metastases and the main tumour (4 cm long, for the record), a bunch had gone away, what was still there had shrunk considerably and none of what was still there was active in any way outside of some tiny remnant of activity in the tumour. Her bones are also healing.

August 2023, her blood work shows results in the normal parameters. Towards the high end, but still. Normal. Everything's asleep and dying.

May 2023, she gets a CT scan done at the request of her oncologist, who's expecting good news.

June 2023, the oncologist gives us the news: Progress is continuing, more cancer cells are vanishing and being replaced by healthy tissue (her bones are pretty much healed now), still no activity, and the big one: the primary tumour is gone. Only scar tissue left. It's not remission yet, but danged if it's not on the way. Doc is slightly baffled, but we're okay with that.

You wanted something good? šŸ˜

So I mentioned in passing that my wife is currently fighting cancer. It's breast cancer, stage 4, grade 3, with 12 metastases in her bones (spine and ribs) and, it turns out, 1 in her liver. I say it turns out because while a spot was seen during MRIs, it never lit up during her TEP scans. The only way anyone knows it was cancer is that it reacted to the treatments (and by reacting, I mean that it's basically gone). Anyway, here's a timeline:

30 June 2022, she gets her diagnosis. Turns out her serious back pain was not the herniated disk everybody thought but cancer attacking her L4 vertebra.

End of July 2022, she starts radiation therapy to at least get the L4 under control, as it's the only thing causing her any issues (aside from, y'know, the whole life threatening thing). Pain goes away, mobility returns.

10 August 2022, she meets her oncologist and starts a mix of hormone therapy and targeted therapy. Basically, she needs to take some pills every day and get a couple of injections every month. She also pursues some alternative treatments (energy healing, hypnotherapy, some supplements and hyperbarric treatments).

March 2023, she gets her second TEP scan. The radio-oncologist calls to tell her that, of the 12 active metastases and the main tumour (4 cm long, for the record), a bunch had gone away, what was still there had shrunk considerably and none of what was still there was active in any way outside of some tiny remnant of activity in the tumour. Her bones are also healing.

August 2023, her blood work shows results in the normal parameters. Towards the high end, but still. Normal. Everything's asleep and dying.

May 2023, she gets a CT scan done at the request of her oncologist, who's expecting good news.

June 2023, the oncologist gives us the news: Progress is continuing, more cancer cells are vanishing and being replaced by healthy tissue (her bones are pretty much healed now), still no activity, and the big one: the primary tumour is gone. Only scar tissue left. It's not remission yet, but danged if it's not on the way. Doc is slightly baffled, but we're okay with that.

I'm happy for you and your wife. I'll be happy when cancer treatment gets its big jump that makes UT possible to get rid of it in a short amount of time.

I just booked a flight to Denmark for my next karate adventure! :)
I am planning to attend a weekend seminar with awesome instructors (the only downside being I don't speak Danish nor Japanese) and then stay for a week to train at least 5 classes in the dojo of an awesome senior instructor. Already can't wait! :)

I wasnā€™t allowed to bring dnd stuff to a friends house because, well, the DEVIL might come withā€¦

It's a system, not a setting. Think similar to dnd, but combat is different, classes are not only different but have a completely different way of being decided and leveling up, the magic system is entirely different, and there is a heavier focus on crafting and downtime (which are both also different) then dnd.

For the purposes of the playtest though, I'm running a campaign in essentially fantasy viking-age denmark. I'm familiar enough with the layout, cultures and mythology of the time that it's pretty easy for me to put something together there, to see how everything fits.
Sounds cool!

Thank you for that! Very nice to hear. My mother died of breast cancer.

Something something something, Good!

Attachments

• IMG_0315.png
    IMG_0315.png
    646.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • phonto 2.jpeg
    phonto 2.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 3
Back