Taking some time off....

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been absent from the forum for a while, and the truth is I've been taking a break from teaching, and to be honest, from practicing much...

Here's the picture: Back before the pandemic, I closed my little "public" school, resigned from the association I had been paying some very steep "school operator" dues to and continued teaching a very small group privately. Of that core group, most have moved on, and I'm not actively recruiting new beginners. It's just too much of a headache to pour a lot of attention into teaching good basics to somebody who only has a passing interest. My most serious student, who actually came to me from another group, has now learned enough that he's more my training partner than just a student. And right now he's travelling to visit his family in Europe.

As for myself, I started kung fu in '76 and started the Wing Chun system in 79, and added Escrima in 82. I trained and taught these two arts for over a dozen years and then marriage, family, a new career (and some nasty martial arts politics) made me choose to take a break. That break lasted about 15 years. Then at age 52, with my life more settled and my weight steadily creeping up (!) I decided it was time to start again. That was the same year (2007) I joined this forum. Now, some 17 years later, I'm 69 and realized that there is a lot of other stuff I really want to do while I can.

So, am I done with martial arts? No. I'm just making some changes and doing other thing. For example, I'm flying again. As a young man I had a pvt. pilot's license, a glider license (sailplanes) and I flew hang gliders 50 years ago. I took a couple of days flying hang gliders again over in Cali and the instructor was kinda surprised. He said he wouldn't have thought so, but after nearly five decades I had retained a lot of my instincts. He let me solo again. It was a great experience. :D

Life is too short to limit yourself. So I will be back, but maybe not for a bit. ;)

Best of luck mate, I've always enjoyed your great contributions here and your wicked humour. Life is short, spend it doing what you value. All the very best, hope to hear from you again soon :)

Back