Started BJJ. Leave everytime feeling frustrated

So as you say learning doesn't stop at black belt and there are high level competitors who make all others look like beginners

The frustration of BJJ is deeper than that I think
For us non-professionals there are (or should be) times when you try new things out with lower belts, fail and get punished as a result
There are the folk that usually you tap who one day figure out how to pass your guard, surprise you with it and punish you as a result
There's the bigger or younger or more athletic lower belt who taps you regularly
There is the fact that all your training partners progress at a similar rate so you never feel like you're getting better
etc etc
My other style holds endurance as the most important characteristic and I think this applies to BJJ

As you say, everybody's progressing right alongside one another, so it can feel like you're stagnating...

Until that ONE moment where you manage to stop that guard pass that's been giving you fits. When you manage to land that sweep you've been working on. When that upper belt you look up to tells you "Thank you, man. Made me really work today. I appreciate it."

That's when you realize you ARE improving. You ARE learning. And the cycle repeats, as you run into different road blocks.

It's a constant humbling process.

It's so great. :D

Back