Sports fighters in self defence

For the record, I think the overwhelming majority of the TMAists here also accept this and train according, but we're the minority. For every TMAist that goes beyond the dojo, so to speak, there's scores of dojo warriors who think the hour they spend twice a week in the dojo is more than enough.

That's not what the OP is saying though nor the hangers on. They are saying people who compete can't defend themselves out on the 'street'. It's nothing to do with techniques, practising or training, it's about the fact they think you can't defend yourself if you fight competitively.

That's not what the OP is saying though nor the hangers on. They are saying people who compete can't defend themselves out on the 'street'. It's nothing to do with techniques, practising or training, it's about the fact they think you can't defend yourself if you fight competitively.
Of course. Competitive fighters are incapable of understanding the context of a situation. It's just like the way football players always tackle opposing players when they play basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting this again for one thing I know the fighters concerned ( they aren't 'drag queens' btw they were out on a stag night) and another, I just like watching it. So, competitive fighter's can't defend themselves on 'the street'? roflmao. this video also goes on to show other competitive fighters displaying their lack of being able to defend themselves lol.

I was replying to a post that quoted my post, therefore elaborating on my previous post. You took it out of context.

I was replying to a post that quoted my post, therefore elaborating on my previous post. You took it out of context.

You said 'for the record' indicating it was a stand alone statement therefore not out of context.

You said 'for the record' indicating it was a stand alone statement therefore not out of context.

Yeah, following up from the quote. Do you need to nitpick every line? Way too much of this here. One of several reasons why I don't like posting on this forum. Far too many people nitpicking posts and going back and forth over semantics. Reply all you want, I'm done.

Yeah, following up from the quote. Do you need to nitpick every line? Way too much of this here. One of several reasons why I don't like posting on this forum. Far too many people nitpicking posts and going back and forth over semantics. Reply all you want, I'm done.

Look you can throw your dummy out if you wish but it's not nit picking, you made a statement, I'm disagreeing, it's as simple as that. If you don't want people commenting on your statements then PM the person you want to say something too, otherwise everything posted up is fair game for people to post a reply to. Replies with quotes aren't a private conversation.
Would you have called it nit picking if I'd agreed with you? No, of course you wouldn't have.

I guess I have to go back on my "I'm done" statement...

Nitpicking
informal
1. looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, especially in order to criticize unnecessarily.
  1. "a nitpicking legalistic exercise"
noun
  1. 1.
    fussy fault-finding.
    "nitpicking over tiny details"

Of course it wouldn't be nitpicking if you agreed, by the commonly used definition of nitpicking, but I thought you were smarter than that.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. It's what makes the world go around (figuratively; Gravity is what actually makes the earth rotate and revolve).

It must get lonely always being right, or at least having to. Coming here, taking a single line out of a long post, and posting several about how wrong the one line is and then going on about it for multiple posts must get exhausting. I admire your energy. And doing the same thing in multiple threads to multiple people, no less. I wish I had as much energy.

Thanks for informing me on how to use a forum. I'll try not to mess up. But I can rest easy knowing you'll always be around waiting for me to slip up.

Now I'm done. Keep the dummy.

Nitpicking
informal
1. looking for small or unimportant errors or faults, especially in order to criticize unnecessarily.
noun
  1. 1.
    fussy fault-finding.

Of course it wouldn't be nitpicking if you agreed, by the commonly used definition of nitpicking, but I thought you were smarter than that.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. It's what makes the world go around (figuratively; Gravity is what actually makes the earth rotate and revolve).

It must get lonely always being right, or at least having to. Coming here, taking a single line out of a long post, and posting several about how wrong the one line is and then going on about it for multiple posts must get exhausting. I admire your energy. And doing the same thing in multiple threads to multiple people, no less. I wish I had as much energy.

Thanks for informing me on how to use a forum. I'll try not to mess up. But I can rest easy knowing you'll always be around waiting for me to slip up.

Okay, I get it... you don't like being disagreed with. I will agree with everything you say from now on but then we'll both be wrong.

1907444_10152658963671605_6923530260721565703_n.jpg

Nitpicking
informal
noun
  1. 1.
    fussy fault-finding.

Take it for a grain of salt. People do get prickly around here, but I hope it won't keep you from posting and having fun. We all forget sometimes that our opinions are only that, and some people around here get prickly when they tell you you're wrong and you don't submit immediately.

Remember, this is fun. Right? :)

Tez throws that meme up whenever she thinks you're wrong and shouldn't question her any more. I'm not sure whether she understands that it applies to her as much as to anyone else. :D

Never used dummies, they are disgustingly unhygienic and damage the teeth. Opinions are opinions, we post them up and when people disagree they disagree, they don't accuse people of nit picking just because they are disagreed with. If everyone agreed on here it would be the most boring site on the internet, If you aren't interested in keeping the conversation going then you aren't, if you aren't interested in people's opinions no one can make you stay, no one says opinions are the truth, they are opinions nothing more nothing less. Laugh at them, refute them, ignore them by all means, why shouldn't you but just because someone disagrees with a small part of your opinion that's no reason to have a go at someone. I disagreed with something you said, you disagreed with something I said and that's no reason to storm off in a huff. Instead of accusing me of nit picking you could have just answered my post. :rolleyes:

Take it for a grain of salt. People do get prickly around here, but I hope it won't keep you from posting and having fun. We all forget sometimes that our opinions are only that, and some people around here get prickly when they tell you you're wrong and you don't submit immediately.

Remember, this is fun. Right? :)

Tez throws that meme up whenever she thinks you're wrong and shouldn't question her any more. I'm not sure whether she understands that it applies to her as much as to anyone else. :D

I wasn't saying I'm done with the forum, just done with the nonsense of this situation.

but there are many things that could bring the sportsman in danger like striking with fists to the head and break the hand...

This is a valid rationale. It isn't necessarily a sport vs. SD viewpoint, but rather the methodology used in training for a specific purpose. If the intended purpose is a sporting event, like boxing as an example, the hands are taped and gloves are worn for the protection of the hands. There are times when even this amount of protection doesn't sufficiently protect the hands and they are damaged. It could be from repeated strikes or it could be punching at the odd angle. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, professional boxers (amoung others) have damaged their hands in out-of-the-ring altercations where protective equipment isn't worn. Under stress (and one could argue being intoxicated or under the influence as well) one reverts to the way they've trained. Striking with a closed fist to a hard target such as the skull may not be the best option available but is often what some folks revert to under stress. From SD perspective, not a good option to do anything that may cause a self-injury. If a hand(s) get injured it could affect using a phone to call for help (or radio), manipulate car or door keys (to effect an escape), use a firearm or other (possibly improvised) weapon or perform any number of things requiring some manual dexterity.

Just a thought to interject into the discussion.

This is a valid rationale. It isn't necessarily a sport vs. SD viewpoint, but rather the methodology used in training for a specific purpose. If the intended purpose is a sporting event, like boxing as an example, the hands are taped and gloves are worn for the protection of the hands. There are times when even this amount of protection doesn't sufficiently protect the hands and they are damaged. It could be from repeated strikes or it could be punching at the odd angle. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, professional boxers (amoung others) have damaged their hands in out-of-the-ring altercations where protective equipment isn't worn. Under stress (and one could argue being intoxicated or under the influence as well) one reverts to the way they've trained. Striking with a closed fist to a hard target such as the skull may not be the best option available but is often what some folks revert to under stress. From SD perspective, not a good option to do anything that may cause a self-injury. If a hand(s) get injured it could affect using a phone to call for help (or radio), manipulate car or door keys (to effect an escape), use a firearm or other (possibly improvised) weapon or perform any number of things requiring some manual dexterity.

Just a thought to interject into the discussion.
Good points. Something to throw out to the group. We do hear about people who break their hands in a fist fight, whether in the ring or out. But with adrenaline flowing, is a broken hand going to keep someone from effectively using it? I dont' know. I've seen too many fights where the broken hand is only revealed after the fact. So, the question is, even if you broke your hand because you're punching someone incorrectly... if the punches function as designed, you will hopefully have time AFTER the altercation for your hand to heal. Wouldn't you?

Answer is simple, train harder than the person you are fighting.

Bingo!

Never used dummies, they are disgustingly unhygienic and damage the teeth.

?? Okay, this must be some new divergence between British and American English usage that I haven't encountered before. What sort of "dummy" is unhygienic and damages the teeth?

Bingo!

?? Okay, this must be some new divergence between British and American English usage that I haven't encountered before. What sort of "dummy" is unhygienic and damages the teeth?

upload_2016-3-15_21-24-28.png

Good points. Something to throw out to the group. We do hear about people who break their hands in a fist fight, whether in the ring or out. But with adrenaline flowing, is a broken hand going to keep someone from effectively using it?

Would depend on if the fracture is severe enough to limit manual dexterity or cause additional complications. Adrenaline is not the only concern as drugs can limit pain (on the attacker for example) that allows them to continue to function despite damage.

Another consideration is the duration of the adrenaline dump. I've seen people receive a head blow but not pass out till several minutes later when the adrenaline kick started to subside. And swelling as well could limit the use of the hand/fingers.

If it can be avoided with better options all together then that would be the best choice.

Good points. Something to throw out to the group. We do hear about people who break their hands in a fist fight, whether in the ring or out. But with adrenaline flowing, is a broken hand going to keep someone from effectively using it? I dont' know. I've seen too many fights where the broken hand is only revealed after the fact. So, the question is, even if you broke your hand because you're punching someone incorrectly... if the punches function as designed, you will hopefully have time AFTER the altercation for your hand to heal. Wouldn't you?

If the rule of the broken hands exists alongside the rule of the ten second fight. Then probably makes no difference.

I have never broken mine so i am not sure.

If the rule of the broken hands exists alongside the rule of the ten second fight. Then probably makes no difference.

I have never broken mine so i am not sure.

I broke an arm once, wasn't mine so I'm not sure either.

Latest Discussions

Back