Something wrong in the Genbukan?

Hi members. Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I stopped training in the ninpo arts a long time ago and am looking at getting back into them. The Genbukan always seemed like such a polished version of these arts so I'm curious as to how it's fallen apart.

Here in Australia I've learnt on this forum that the only sensei teaching Genbukan was previously a Koga Ryu teacher (I actually lived in the same town as them back in the 90s). Is this an organisation to avoid? The Bujinkan seems to have changed a lot since I trained with them 30 years ago so there's not many options.

Thanks for the discussions. It's good these forums exist.
Peace

We exist. Guess why.

....'cause people hang around to keep posting. Will you?
Thanks for the reply, although I'm not sure why you did. I'm new here and getting back into martial arts and if it's a nice place to chat about these arts then of course I will. Maybe sarcasm isn't my thing, but if you didn't have anything to offer to this thread then why bother posting?

I'm very keen to talk about these different ninpo organisations and why the Genbukan seems to be losing traction. What's your opinion on that?

I'm new here and getting back into martial arts and if it's a nice place to chat about these arts then of course I will.
That’s questionable, I’m afraid. I’ve always thought the ‘friendly martial arts forum’ moniker should be removed as it mis-sells the forum. Just be sure to use the ‘ignore’ feature to exclude those that are unfriendly or irritating and you won’t see their posts with a thread. My ignore list has about 4-5 regularly aggressive or, mainly, ‘mysterious’ posters who are keen on virtue signalling in one form or another (a personal irritation).
Maybe sarcasm isn't my thing, but if you didn't have anything to offer to this thread then why bother posting?
You would not survive in Britain or should I say, “You’d fit right into British society 🙄😁😉
I'm very keen to talk about these different ninpo organisations and why the Genbukan seems to be losing traction. What's your opinion on that?
Have you heard of evolution by natural selection? If an organisation loses it’s teeth or begins exploiting it’s members for it’s own gain, it will become deselected by those members and die out. If one’s members are looked after and made to feel part of a nurturing community, it will thrive.

That’s questionable, I’m afraid. I’ve always thought the ‘friendly martial arts forum’ moniker should be removed as it mis-sells the forum. Just be sure to use the ‘ignore’ feature to exclude those that are unfriendly or irritating and you won’t see their posts with a thread. My ignore list has about 4-5 regularly aggressive or, mainly, ‘mysterious’ posters who are keen on virtue signalling in one form or another (a personal irritation).

You would not survive in Britain or should I say, “You’d fit right into British society 🙄😁😉

Have you heard of evolution by natural selection? If an organisation loses it’s teeth or begins exploiting it’s members for it’s own gain, it will become deselected by those members and die out. If one’s members are looked after and made to feel part of a nurturing community, it will thrive.
Thanks for the reply and the tip.

Hey, I'm from Australia, we're British but secretly wish we're American ;)

Interesting regarding the Genbukan. The Bujinkan when I trained in it long ago varied from dojo to dojo and I remember seeing the Genbukan in magazines before I stopped training and it looked so well organised. You might be right though, possibly lack of appreciation from the top down has caused it to fall.

Thanks for the reply, although I'm not sure why you did. I'm new here and getting back into martial arts and if it's a nice place to chat about these arts then of course I will. Maybe sarcasm isn't my thing, but if you didn't have anything to offer to this thread then why bother posting?
Ah! I see you've misconstrued the purpose of my comment above. My point is simply that, like many traditional martial arts organizations, this forum has also lost many of its posting members over the last 10 years or so. A shame IMO. I'd rather see a lively forum, even if I disagree with many other posters, than a boring, dwindling forum where everyone yawns, agrees and then logs off.

So in short, I was saying "Welcome to MT, and inviting you to hang around and contribute! :)
Sorry, I'm not a ninpo practitioner so my comments will have to be more general, referring to the decrease in participation in a lot of the non-sporting, non-competitive TMA ("traditional" martial arts) organizations.

I have been involved in a specific Chinese TMA since 1979 whose popularity, subsequent fragmentation into competing organizations, and ultimate decline in recent years is a close parallel to the what has happened with all the "X-kan" of ninjutsu. I hope I can offer a useful perspective from the outside. Or not, ...you decide. ;)

BTW, as an older "Mentor" member of this forum, I'd like to note that there is a lot of stylistic cross-over here in our commentary, and most of us welcome that, especially as the forum has become smaller. The truth is that if you want to only hear from practicing Bujunkan members, you will end up talking to yourself. The same is true for the rest of us, whatever art we practice. :(

That’s questionable, I’m afraid. I’ve always thought the ‘friendly martial arts forum’ moniker should be removed as it mis-sells the forum. Just be sure to use the ‘ignore’ feature to exclude those that are unfriendly or irritating and you won’t see their posts with a thread.
Gyakuto - I would disagree with advising new members to be too quick to apply the ignore button until they can verify a posters intentions.

Yes there are a few trolls floating around who will follow another member's posts and try to zap a "disagree" icon on anything and everything the other person does. However, the rest of us see what's going on and who is just making a fool of themselves. Personally I first try to defuse misunderstandings and avoid the ignore option. Besides, sometimes it's amusing seeing the trolls make themselves look like idiots! :D

Otherwise, to those that may find me among the "unfriendly and irritating" group you mentioned above, I recommend something to soothe the irritation ...like this:
1720551370389.png

Gyakuto - I would disagree with advising new members to be too quick to apply the ignore button until they can verify a posters intentions.
I was simply pointing out the facility rather than encouraging it’s immediate use. Some posts do instigate it’s immediate use, but usually it’s a few that make me take that decision. it’s simply like meeting people in real life: it usually takes a bit of time to feel the need to avoid them, but sometimes you take an instant dislike and realise you don’t have to endure their behaviour.
Yes there are a few trolls floating around who will follow another member's posts and try to zap a "disagree" icon on anything and everything the other person does. However, the rest of us see what's going on and who is just making a fool of themselves. Personally I first try to defuse misunderstandings and avoid the ignore option. Besides, sometimes it's amusing seeing the trolls make themselves look like idiots! :D
You a better person than me. I will not tolerate unpleasant people after giving up work. Doing so makes my life slightly unpleasant.
Otherwise, to those that may find me among the "unfriendly and irritating" group you mentioned above, I recommend something to soothe the irritation ...like this:
Oh you’re not on my list, geezer otherwise I wouldn’t be replying to you. Those that are may notice I never respond to them, but I doubt it since they’re too self-absorbed!

Ah! I see you've misconstrued the purpose of my comment above. My point is simply that, like many traditional martial arts organizations, this forum has also lost many of its posting members over the last 10 years or so. A shame IMO. I'd rather see a lively forum, even if I disagree with many other posters, than a boring, dwindling forum where everyone yawns, agrees and then logs off.

So in short, I was saying "Welcome to MT, and inviting you to hang around and contribute! :)

Sorry, I'm not a ninpo practitioner so my comments will have to be more general, referring to the decrease in participation in a lot of the non-sporting, non-competitive TMA ("traditional" martial arts) organizations.

I have been involved in a specific Chinese TMA since 1979 whose popularity, subsequent fragmentation into competing organizations, and ultimate decline in recent years is a close parallel to the what has happened with all the "X-kan" of ninjutsu. I hope I can offer a useful perspective from the outside. Or not, ...you decide. ;)

BTW, as an older "Mentor" member of this forum, I'd like to note that there is a lot of stylistic cross-over here in our commentary, and most of us welcome that, especially as the forum has become smaller. The truth is that if you want to only hear from practicing Bujunkan members, you will end up talking to yourself. The same is true for the rest of us, whatever art we practice. :(
That's okay and apologies for assuming you were a troll or being provocative. I certainly have noticed that the interest in Asian martial arts has declined since I decided to start looking into training again. 30 years ago when I stopped it was thriving. I assume the interest in MMA has taken focus from Asian styles.

Interesting that the same thing has happened in Chinese styles as appears to have with classical Japanese styles too.

Thanks and nice to chat, even keen to cross-over ideas between styles so it's nice that happens here.

I have only had a few experiences with the Genbukan. Was a more regimented environment. But at the same time a real arrogance about it. Bujinkan, one dojo had no similarity to the other and also pretty arrogant. The more the lineage issues came up, especially after I had searched for some training elsewhere over the years. And was lambasted for it. Then the questions of Booj lineage started getting exposed. I don't know if I would go back to a Kan school.

Latest Discussions

Back