Rokas small update - broken leg

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We argued more than once about Rokas from Martial Arts Journey, so a little update: scissor sweep, broken leg. Nothing important, but it will be useful for future talks about methodology, safety. full contact, illegal moves, etc.:

Yeah. A bit silly.

Look. I think you need to be aware of the saftey of your partners almost always.

Mabye at some high levels of competition you can rip people's arms and legs off. But for training or for an amateur competition it is not worth it.

If you want to be the sort of guy who can hurt people. Learn to hold people down. Then you can beat people up as much as you want and still not break your training partners.

(Side note two hours for an x ray is fast. I wonder what country that was.)

We argued more than once about Rokas from Martial Arts Journey, so a little update: scissor sweep, broken leg. Nothing important, but it will be useful for future talks about methodology, safety. full contact, illegal moves, etc.:

I wasn't quite sure how his leg broke because I thought he was talking about this

then I saw the video and he was talking about this

I used to train this technique, but it was always known for destroying the knee. The major difference is the height and the direction that we roll. When doing this technique low, we would always roll into our training partner and not away from our training partner. While still dangerous, having the knee turn towards the center offers a much friendlier turn. We would also never use it in sparring. It was always a drill. If we spar and go for this technique, the sparring will stop, and the drill would begin. The sparring partner does not try to resist this technique. Instead, he slowly goes with it and the technique is slowly applied.

Using it in sparring any other way runs the risk of someone turning in the more destructive direction.

Roll vs Drop. Roll sends the energy in a different direction. Dropping just locks the leg and now the weight is going downward onto the joint. You can see some weight drops here.

Always choose your sparring partner wisely.

(Side note two hours for an x ray is fast. I wonder what country that was.)
I don't know. But I would be a little more concerned that they had trouble with the medicine used when operating on him..

In case it is always and always stated”take care of each other” of course the flexibility,tightness,ability,and toughness of the individual student is taken into account after awhile and adjusted accordingly then again it’s stated”take care of each other. No one wants to be sitting and healing and watching when there’s so much rolling that can be done. Take care of each other!!

Back