Responsibility

I have to say I can empathise with Mr.C (hey my first name starts with C! weird eh?). I am incredibly intense in the dojo, sometimes to the dislike of the students. The reason being is that I have a responsibilty to my students.

First and foremost I'm bound to my dojo as such, I strive for perfection in myself all the time. I'm far from it and always will be, that is why I repeatedly return to the dojo.
As a member of the dojo I have to uphold the standards instilled in me by my instrcutors, which was instilled in them by their instrcutors. I also have to pass these standards on in the same manner they were passed to me, to ensure that etiquette isn't forfeit.
As a student I have to work to my utmost, even when I'm ill or off form. Anything less would be shameful because I'd know in my heart I could have done more. I also have to give those students who are ranked beneath me a role model or even a bench mark to reach towards and achieve.
As an intrcutor it's my duty to teach exactly as I have been taught in the true spirit of maartial arts. I have to take responsibility for every action that student takes because I am responsible in some small way however tiny (or great) for their growth as a person. I would see it as a failure on my part as an instructor if they were to grade and fail because that would indicate my teaching is flawed. Even worse if they were to rely on what I taught them and what I taught failed then I have failed in all my duties and have not followed The Path well enough and someone else paid the price for it.

It's hard to put all into words, but this is something that has plaued on my mind recently and it's something that I can't really bring up in the dojo because it is a personal feeling, almost a weakness that I cannot and will not allow my students to see. However it is there and it resides there every time I teach, train or even close my eyes in the day for some quiet time.

I hope that's all got a point somewhere, I do tend to get emotional about something so close to home.

Latest Discussions

Back