Recommendations for SWAT

Ceicei said:
What's your reasoning for that thought?

- Ceicei

Thinking ahead in the future. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, the government will "retire" you after so many years on the force. If you have a Criminal Justice degree, where are you to go? You can become a lawer, or a clerk, but that's about it. If you have other degrees, such as psycho, you have other options.

Farang-
Ryan

I know many "kids" that spent a lot of time and $$ on Criminal Justice Degrees only to be beaten on the Civil Service exam by people with a 2 yr degree in basket weaving. Or a masters degree in Graphic Design ;). Id save the Crim. Justice degree for after you get the job.

Thats just IMO though...the degree is good for other LE jobs like parole, corrections, etc....I would just recommend a degree that could help you get another job if the LEO thing just isnt going to happen.

Tgace said:
Thats just IMO though...the degree is good for other LE jobs like parole, corrections, etc....I would just recommend a degree that could help you get another job if the LEO thing just isnt going to happen.
I'm on the other side of the fence. Bachelors of Science in Computer Information Systems, and I'm considering taking the test and getting into forensics, but I'm old. heheh.

I am trying to stay away from military-based programs to get into Law Enforcement. Do people with military experience have a better chance at applying for LEO than one without but with college experience?

Farang-
Ryan

Look up what state you live in for the requirements for LEO's. In Michigan, you have to apply through the MCOLES (michigan council on law enforcement standards) which is usually handled at the school and the program director. Some of the things they did was a background/affidavit, fingerprints, driving record just to get into the program. They have a set curriculum that must be met and you must be accepted by them before any of the classes will count towards the certification. In michigan, one of the requirements is also that you graduate with at least an associate degree, if you already have a degree you only have to take the LE classes (around 35 credit hrs).

Also differs from school to school. Some do the mini-boot camp approach, other schools it's just like going to college. Make lots of connections with officers and get to know them. If your local dept. has an "explorer" program or cadet program look into that and do some work like that to build some bridges.

foolbae1228 said:
I am trying to stay away from military-based programs to get into Law Enforcement. Do people with military experience have a better chance at applying for LEO than one without but with college experience?

Farang-
Ryan
Well..dont do anything you dont want to do, but the experience helped me considerably in selection, the academy and in SWAT.

If you are looking for physical conditioning tips, start doing bodyweight exercises; push-ups, sit-ups, squats, chins, dips etc. Build up until you can do them with a 45lb plate, which +/- is the weight of gear, armor, weapons etc. go for endurance (more reps) over strength (less reps heavier wieght) for a good base. Its more about endurance in SWAT/military ops than strength or power. Once you have a good base built up look into a strength/power workout. But I would suggest athletic performance workouts over pure power lifting or conventional bodybuilding workouts. If you are on the school football team (or have a friend that is that can get you doing their workouts) that would be great.

Thank you, that will help a lot.

What are the weapon restrictions for LEO and SWAT? What shouldn't I use that I learn in my martial arts? I shouldn't try to kill a guy, but what are the means of force that I am allowed to use?

Farang-
Ryan

Dont even worry about that at this point. Go to the library, look up your states law regarding use of force and get help in understanding it if you need it.

As a matter of fact, if law enforcement is something you are truly interested in, gain an interest in legal writing. Get a copy of your states penal and criminal procedure law, read it and get whatever help you need to understand it. Study search and seizure law..google is a great source for info on all that.

I live in a small town, and the library up here is small. Are there internet sources that I can look up my states laws besides Google, or should I just try my luck with that site?

Thanks,

Farang-
Ryan

you can find almost anything on google....

I know that over here, there are alot of ex-military that go into firearms teams. Well put it this way, alot of ex-military go into the Police as I guess its the next best option to continue the mind-set that the army offered but with less discipline and more open responsbility. Alot of ex-military here also go into police bodyguard work.
Alot of important people are guarded by ex-SAS and SBS, the royal family person bodyguard I believe are either ex-military or police.
I know that to join the police (over here that is) there is equality being you in the military or not. But I get the feeling that for applying to be a member of a firearms team you might have an advantage if you are ex-military. I may be wrong?! Is it the same over there in America?

SWAT training as far as I know is closely related to British Firearm Teams, I suggest like the other guys that you train with weight vests whilst doing cardio-vascular. Do weight training as well as that, and look at your armed forces training. Some of it is bound to be similar.
Maybe I'm wrong!
Regards

Back