Reasonable vs "Crash Out"

Don't be smart with me.
Can't help it. Intelligence is a combination of nature and nuture. I am what I am.
Someone who does not care about their own life is wildly unpredictable is what I am trying to say.
If they're attacking me, and they don't care about their life (or mine), why would I?

[Snarky nonsense deleted]

Hmm perhaps the African cape buffalo? Otherwise known as the widowmaker. Generally harmless as long as you leave it alone, but the second you threaten it's life it has a tendency to take self defence way too far as it's been known to merc adult lions and will actively hunt down humans for revenge.
I think you are giving me waaay too much credit. But hey, I asked and you replied.
Can't help it. Intelligence is a combination of nature and nuture. I am what I am.

If they're attacking me, and they don't care about their life (or mine), why would I?

…Says the snarky old badger…

Because a concerning number of people in these circles speak of ending anothers life far too lightly. Though i suppose its much easier to wrap your mind around it when you don't see your attacker as human.

Been a while since I posted here and if there is one thing I've comes to understand is that a lot of self defence advocates go under the assumption that any potential threat is going to be a crashout.

Now what is a crashout you may ask? It's basically someone who simply does not care about their own well being. Closer to a wild animal then a human.

My entire thought process when it comes to fighting was under the belief that most people even if they mean you harm will have some sense of self preservation and will act accordingly.

They can be reasoned with, scared off, bribed or surrender. Crashouts just don't give a damn and while I think assuming the worst isn't the best way to go cause you may get the wrong idea, I will wholely admit I would not know how to deal with someone like that. Because how do you deal with a person who does not care if they themselves die?
Out of curiosity, did you ever start training somewhere? Getting practical knowledge/experience should be the first step to prepare regardless of the type of situation you end up in.

Out of curiosity, did you ever start training somewhere? Getting practical knowledge/experience should be the first step to prepare regardless of the type of situation you end up in.
Sadly, I haven't found a gym that stuck. Perhaps I should look into more fundamentals maybe a simple combination of kickboxing and judo and build from there.

Sadly, I haven't found a gym that stuck. Perhaps I should look into more fundamentals maybe a simple combination of kickboxing and judo and build from there.
Sounds like a good idea. Even if it's something basic, that's 7 months (from when you joined) of experience you could have at this point. It's like the old saying (heavily paraphrased from memory) "You don't want to go to college, because you're worried in 4 years you'll realize you'd have wasted your time. But no matter what, you'll be 4 years older, so why not be 4 years older with some new knowledge?"

Because a concerning number of people in these circles speak of ending anothers life far too lightly. Though i suppose its much easier to wrap your mind around it when you don't see your attacker as human.
You make an awful lot of unwarranted assumptions about people.

I always considered that attitude to be more edge lord that sociopath.

For me. I rarely hurt people really badly in life or death fights.

I am so preoccupied with shutting down their ability to hurt me that I generally have them contained before I have to hurt them.

I always considered that attitude to be more edge lord that sociopath.

I am so preoccupied with shutting down their ability to hurt me that I generally have them contained before I have to hurt them.
But how do you know if they are life and death? Even horse, er, Cape Buffalo play could result in serious injury. I haven’t been in a real fight maybe 20 years. Nobody here that I am aware of is truly flippant about taking life.

I've been in literally hundreds of assaults. I've only needed to actually harm a couple. The point isn't that you instantly kill anyone who looks at you cross-eyed. It's that you're willing, if the circumstances require.

I've been in literally hundreds of assaults. I've only needed to actually harm a couple. The point isn't that you instantly kill anyone who looks at you cross-eyed. It's that you're willing, if the circumstances require.
And knowing the difference is critical.

I think there is this idea that you get in this serious fight and are striking vital targets and snapping limbs

I have never had time. Or had a bunch of better stuff to do. Like holding on to that arm with the knife.

I think there is this idea that you get in this serious fight and are striking vital targets and snapping limbs
I don't know what ideas people have or what they're thinking. As I said, hundreds of assaults, 2 injuries. It's hardly ever necessary. Recognizing an eventuality and planning for it is a reasonable "just in case" mindset.
I have never had time. Or had a bunch of better stuff to do. Like holding on to that arm with the knife.
One thing I've noticed. Most people who have a weapon completely forget about their other limbs.

Last edited:
Back