Protein Powders

You’ve got to try casein in soy milk, Prince_Alarming. I can get you the good stuff if you like…first few are free, discrete and oh so yummy….😈

Taken from Arnie’s Pump club Newsletter

The Protein Powder Debate (Is Overrated)​

Supplement companies spend a lot of time convincing you that one protein is better than another. And while the manufacturing is different — we don’t think you should only trust supplements that invest in third-party certifications — stressing too much about the protein source you use might not matter that much.​
Researchers compared 30 grams of milk protein (the source of whey) to 30 grams of a plant protein blend and found no difference in the ability to turn that protein into muscle.
Plant proteins were previously considered inferior because plants (think pea, soy, quinoa, and others) don’t have as many essential amino acids (the building blocks of your cells that your body doesn’t make on its own) as whey protein. The researchers balanced the essential amino acids by combining wheat, corn, and pea protein so they had the same amino acid profile as whey. Just like that, the plants were just as powerful.​
If you want to try a plant-based protein, look for one with 20 to 30 grams per serving and approximately 2.5 grams of leucine (one of the branched-chain amino acids) per serving.​
And remember, you don’t need a protein powder to see great results. Powders are just a way to isolate protein from whole food (whey comes from milk, and pea protein comes from peas). There’s nothing special about powders, but the good ones are a high-quality, convenient way to ensure you get enough protein each day​
It's all stuff and nonsense.

I think it does say that they are protein supplements rather than replacements. If you’re doing serious weight training or even bodybuilding
I was thinking in terms of the MA artist, some bodybuilders are extreme. They seem like an exception to me.
the amount of animal derived protein one would have to eat would likely push your saturated fat and salt consumption up to a dangerous level.
Really?

I though chicken and good stuff, low fat and low salt. Fish is also great, and may fish contains essential fats as well. Don't think there is excessivesalt naturally in chicken meat? I'm not talking about strongly processed chicken like nuggets or fish and chips, but actual chicken or fish filet, that is different.

Rolled oats that i eat for breakast almost everyday, is also I think pretty good, good fast as far as I know and not much salt? I don't add salt to my porrige, just sweet berries ;)

About red meat, it's probably less optimal? But I mainly eat chicken and fish, mostly salmon and tuna, and there salt levels depends on how you cook it. Beef I almost never eat, a few times a year at most. I honestly don't feel as well when eating this hard to digest meat.

You can take the yolks out of eggs and just eat the whites (🤢), try leaner cuts of meat, but it only helps a little. So the supplement inventors thought,
During easter, when I may eat many eggs in a short time I actually do this and toss the yellow fatty stuff in all except the first egg, instead I replace it with caviar, which is perhaps not that healthy but tastes good.
let’s remove as much fat, salt and sugar from a high protein source (milk) and invented protein powder supplements (not replacements).

My chocolate protein supplement is delicious! Recently I tried mixing my night time dose of casein powder with no sugar soy milk and it’s better than any thick shake you can buy?
I don't buy or drink shakes so I have no clue. I was comparing "chocolate whey" with chicken with hot curry, or chicken with chili!

You clearly have lactose intolerance, JowGaWolf! 🙄 The symptoms are ‘dose responsive’ hence the account you give above.
ha ha ha. I'll test that out. I drink a lot of milk and I haven't been sick, but I also don't drink it during the times of day that it upsets my stomach. Would you say that 5 glasses of milk in one day would be enough to trigger the symptoms? I had 3 yesterday without issue.

I've never tested my limits how much whole milk I can drink, I just know that certain times of the day are better than others. As long as I do that then I'm fine. But come to think of it. When I used to take protein powder, I don't think I was taking dure the safe hours of the day for me.

When I was in high school I used to add sugar to my milk to prevent the symptioms. I haven't done that since then. I wonder if that still works. I should really record the data of some of this crazy stuff

Last edited:
I was thinking in terms of the MA artist, some bodybuilders are extreme. They seem like an exception to me.
Competitive bodybuilders, yes, but the majority do it for fun!
Really?

I though chicken and good stuff, low fat and low salt.
If you just boil it, perhaps, but we know how most people eat it!
Fish is also great, and may fish contains essential fats as well.
Oceanic fish has high levels of mercury and they recommend no more than two portions per week! There was this Hollywood actor on a chat show over here who was off wok for a year with mercury poisoning because he ate oceanic fish everyday as he thought it was healthy!
Don't think there is excessivesalt naturally in chicken meat? I'm not talking about strongly processed chicken like nuggets or fish and chips, but actual chicken or fish filet, that is different.
Perhaps. I’m not sure.
Rolled oats that i eat for breakast almost everyday, is also I think pretty good, good fast as far as I know and not much salt? I don't add salt to my porrige, just sweet berries ;)
They’re better shaken, not rolled 😉
About red meat, it's probably less optimal?
There’s more and more research show how bad it is for you. One portion a week at most.
But I mainly eat chicken and fish, mostly salmon and tuna, and there salt levels depends on how you cook it.
Mercury salts! 😉
During easter, when I may eat many eggs in a short time
Chocolate eggs’ you mean? Me too.
I actually do this and toss the yellow fatty stuff in all except the first egg, instead I replace it with caviar, which is perhaps not that healthy but tastes good.
Are you a lottery winner?
I don't buy or drink shakes so I have no clue. I was comparing "chocolate whey" with chicken with hot curry, or chicken with chili!
No, me neither. I’m drinking my casein/soya milk concoction as I type 😉

What does Soy Milk taste like? i haven't tried it yet
Truly bland like liquidised white cardboard! But It’s a nice change to sweet drinks

Truly bland like liquidised white cardboard! But It’s a nice change to sweet drinks
Lol. Yum. I'll give it a try. I can't taste or smell anything at the moment thanks to Covid. 4years later and it got me. Going on that cruise was a dumb idea.

There’s more and more research show how bad it is for you. One portion a week at most.
I sometimes wonder - where is all the research that shows what is GOOD for me? 🧐

Salmon for example is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which is good for cardiovascular diseases. So what is the biggest problem, people getting the wrong fats, or people dying from mercury poisoning?

Of course, variety is good always, if nothing else for spreading risks. I would not eat the same tuna fish 7 days a week.

I'll await the research that prooves health benefits of replacing chicken and fish with flavoured whey powder until I change my diet.

Are you a lottery winner?
Not all caviar are extremely expensive, also I don't eat eggs every week!

I sometimes wonder - where is all the research that shows what is GOOD for me? 🧐
Well, you have to make a judgement based on the research.
Salmon for example is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which is good for cardiovascular diseases.
Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation is associated with atrial fibrillation. So if you eat enough, perhaps don’t take capsules of it.
So what is the biggest problem, people getting the wrong fats, or people dying from mercury poisoning?
Omega 3’s do come from other food sources…
Of course, variety is good always, if nothing else for spreading risks. I would not eat the same tuna fish 7 days a week.
He’d probably protest 😉
I'll await the research that prooves health benefits of replacing chicken and fish with flavoured whey powder until I change my diet.
You’ll be waiting a long time because it’s used as a supplement not a replacement!
Not all caviar are extremely expensive, also I don't eat eggs every week!
That’s fish roe then, isn’t it? 🤷🏾

Fish poo, your highness!

Those who had a television in the UK during the 1990s will know what I am referring to. The rest of you are better off not knowing.

That’s fish roe then, isn’t it? 🤷🏾
Right, it seems this was a language/terminology issue. Here we often use the term "caviar" for any "fish roe"-prodcuts synonymous to caviar. The expensive version is basedon sturgeon roe, and we often call that "russian caviar". Not sure how big different there is, or wether it's just like champagne vs sparkling wine.

Speaking of chicken, sous vide chicken is great... particularly if you're cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I make three or four every weekend and put them in the fridge for salads or whatever. And you can be sure they're fully cooked without turning them into kindling.

Salmon for example is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which is good for cardiovascular diseases. So what is the biggest problem, people getting the wrong fats, or people dying from mercury poisoning?
You must always be careful of where you get your fish from. Don't just buy fish from anywhere. But in terms of the Omega-3 fatty acid article, I haven't read it yet but I bet it focuses on supplements and not actually eating fish.

As humans we have a habit of pulling one good thing out of something without understanding how other nutrients play a role in the "one good thing." The west doesn't take a "whole body approach" in a lot of things. If you want Zomega-3 fatty acid then it's better to just go out and eat fish.

Apologies for the annoying delivery of this presenter

Back