Protein Powders

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taken from Arnie’s Pump club Newsletter

The Protein Powder Debate (Is Overrated)​

Supplement companies spend a lot of time convincing you that one protein is better than another. And while the manufacturing is different — we don’t think you should only trust supplements that invest in third-party certifications — stressing too much about the protein source you use might not matter that much.​
Researchers compared 30 grams of milk protein (the source of whey) to 30 grams of a plant protein blend and found no difference in the ability to turn that protein into muscle.
Plant proteins were previously considered inferior because plants (think pea, soy, quinoa, and others) don’t have as many essential amino acids (the building blocks of your cells that your body doesn’t make on its own) as whey protein. The researchers balanced the essential amino acids by combining wheat, corn, and pea protein so they had the same amino acid profile as whey. Just like that, the plants were just as powerful.​
If you want to try a plant-based protein, look for one with 20 to 30 grams per serving and approximately 2.5 grams of leucine (one of the branched-chain amino acids) per serving.​
And remember, you don’t need a protein powder to see great results. Powders are just a way to isolate protein from whole food (whey comes from milk, and pea protein comes from peas). There’s nothing special about powders, but the good ones are a high-quality, convenient way to ensure you get enough protein each day​

The researchers balanced the essential amino acids by combining wheat, corn, and pea protein so they had the same amino acid profile as whey.
Does that include non essential amino acids, or only the essential? Because if it's the latter, then EAA supplements make the most sense. Plant protein doesn't absorb as fast as whey, EAA supplement actually absorb faster than whey. If plant protein supplements contain non essential amino acids, that would be the only advantage it would have over EAA supplements.

Not sure…i couldn’t find the primary source. I think it’s just brushing away the myth that plant-derived protein is somehow inferior to dairy-derived.

I’ve heard mixed views on milky drinks being the best hydrators.

Taken from Arnie’s Pump club Newsletter

The Protein Powder Debate (Is Overrated)​

Supplement companies spend a lot of time convincing you that one protein is better than another. And while the manufacturing is different — we don’t think you should only trust supplements that invest in third-party certifications — stressing too much about the protein source you use might not matter that much.​
Researchers compared 30 grams of milk protein (the source of whey) to 30 grams of a plant protein blend and found no difference in the ability to turn that protein into muscle.
Plant proteins were previously considered inferior because plants (think pea, soy, quinoa, and others) don’t have as many essential amino acids (the building blocks of your cells that your body doesn’t make on its own) as whey protein. The researchers balanced the essential amino acids by combining wheat, corn, and pea protein so they had the same amino acid profile as whey. Just like that, the plants were just as powerful.​
If you want to try a plant-based protein, look for one with 20 to 30 grams per serving and approximately 2.5 grams of leucine (one of the branched-chain amino acids) per serving.​
And remember, you don’t need a protein powder to see great results. Powders are just a way to isolate protein from whole food (whey comes from milk, and pea protein comes from peas). There’s nothing special about powders, but the good ones are a high-quality, convenient way to ensure you get enough protein each day​
I used to use Protein Powder when I was twenty. That stuff ran right through me. My body didn't like it at all, so I decided to listen to my body and not bother with it anymore. When I was in high school competing, I would drink Ensure. I still do, but it has far less protein than what Powdered Protein has. Our bodies are only going to absorb so much of that stuff anyway regardless of how much is in the powder.

Chocolate milk is apparently the post workout drink.

Interesting. Let me know if that works lol. I can only assume it is consumed when the body is in a resting state, where Post Work out doesn't mean 10 minutes after working out.

I used to use Protein Powder when I was twenty. That stuff ran right through me. My body didn't like it at all, so I decided to listen to my body and not bother with it anymore. When I was in high school competing, I would drink Ensure. I still do, but it has far less protein than what Powdered Protein has. Our bodies are only going to absorb so much of that stuff anyway regardless of how much is in the powder.
Another bit of research presented on Arnie’s Pump Club showed that that isn’t true. We can absorb much larger quantities of protein than the usually quoted 20-25g. 100g + is perfectly absorbable. It makes evolutionary sense. We would stalk a wounded wildebeest for days, hardly eating and when it finally died, we’d gorge on it’s flesh eating and utilising far more than 20-25g as often mis-cited.

You should subscribe… it might dispel any incorrect ideas you might have.

Another bit of research presented on Arnie’s Pump Club showed that that isn’t true. We can absorb much larger quantities of protein than the usually quoted 20-25g. 100g + is perfectly absorbable.
There's a caveat to that - they can't all be fast absorbing. Generally, the faster the absorption, the higher the anabolic ceiling, but you can do fast and slow absorbing proteins at the same time. After a work out, I do both whey isolate and EAA supplement (the EAA dosage being equivalent to about 20g of protein) simultaneously. They're both fast absorbing, but EAA is faster (1 hour, as opposed to 2-3 hours for whey). So for that first hour, I'm absorbing all of the EAA supplement, and the first third of the whey. And the remaining time, I'm absorbing the rest of the whey.

Another bit of research presented on Arnie’s Pump Club showed that that isn’t true. We can absorb much larger quantities of protein than the usually quoted 20-25g. 100g + is perfectly absorbable.
Well I guess I would be an outlier being that I pooped mine out. Just saying. I'm a strong believer of too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Symptoms associated with too much protein include: (source above). I'm not surprised that intestinal discomfort and indigestion and diarrhea were the systems I had.

Well I guess I would be an outlier being that I pooped mine out. Just saying. I'm a strong believer of too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Symptoms associated with too much protein include: (source above). I'm not surprised that intestinal discomfort and indigestion and diarrhea were the systems I had.
There is a whole keto thing though.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting one should have ‘too much’, but it’s clear that the volumes of protein the normal digestive tract can handle is greater than ‘conventional wisdom’ would suggest, one can consume fewer but larger doses throughout the day (I can’t handle 4-5 doses of 20-25g a day) and there is more and more evidence that suggests a higher protein diet leads to better health outcomes.

There’s something wrong with you, mate! 😉 Do you have lactose intolerance, perhaps?
Protein supplementation is clearly not for you.

From today’s newsletter…

Overrated/Underrated: Longevity Protein​

Last week, we discussed how eating a moderate or high-protein diet could help you live longer. But many of you asked, Does the type of protein matter?
A new study looked at protein intake and determined — once again — that eating more protein is likely to keep you healthier as you age.​
But there’s a twist you might not expect.
While animal proteins are loaded with more protein and amino acids, the study found that increasing plant-based protein was better for extending longevity.
The scientists tracked more than 48,000 women for 32 years and defined “healthy aging” as having fewer or no chronic diseases, better physical mobility, and little cognitive decline.​
Eating more protein throughout midlife has anti-aging benefits, but you’ll see more upside if you don’t neglect plant-based proteins. Those who ate more plant protein were 46 percent more likely to age better.
While animal protein had other benefits (such as more strength and mobility), it was associated with more disease risk. Plant protein is likely to have extra benefits because it tends to be lower in energy density (fewer calories) and packed with more fiber.​
That does not mean you have to avoid all animal protein. As we shared last week, eating enough protein is generally associated with healthier aging (even in those with kidney disease). However, people who eat more animal protein tend to consume more saturated fat, which can be linked with increased LDL.​
Instead of viewing it as black and white, it’s wise to try to add more plant protein to your diet when possible and combine it with a leaner source of animal protein (if that’s your preference).​
To increase your plant protein intake, good options include lentils, beans, tofu, seitan, tempeh, edamame, chickpeas, and nutritional yeast​

To increase your plant protein intake, good options include lentils, beans, tofu, seitan, tempeh, edamame, chickpeas, and nutritional yeast
So.... maybe a fermented barley drink with herbs (hops) added? I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

Kidding. Sort of.

So.... maybe a fermented barley drink with herbs (hops) added? I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

Kidding. Sort of.
In ‘Pumping Iron’, Arnie jokingly stated he doesn’t drink milk but he does drink a concoction similar to which you describe!

There’s something wrong with you, mate! 😉 Do you have lactose intolerance, perhaps?
lol You asked for answer so I'll give you one. Yes and No.

Whole milk in the glass? Never in the morning it'll mess with my stomach.

Whole milk with a bowl of cereal in the morning. No problems.

Milkshakes always upsets my stomach

Milk in tea, fine

Ice cream fine.

So milk just depends on when I drink it and the type of dairy product something is. I'm lactose confusing?

lol You asked for answer so I'll give you one. Yes and No.

Whole milk in the glass? Never in the morning it'll mess with my stomach.

Whole milk with a bowl of cereal in the morning. No problems.

Milkshakes always upsets my stomach

Milk in tea, fine

Ice cream fine.

So milk just depends on when I drink it and the type of dairy product something is. I'm lactose confusing?
You clearly have lactose intolerance, JowGaWolf! 🙄 The symptoms are ‘dose responsive’ hence the account you give above.

Protein supplements are usually dairy derived (whey) and contain lactose and that’s why they ‘go through’ you.

Just eating normal food, like rolled oats, fish and some chicken seems not only alot easier but also better tasting than getting a plethoria of various flavoured powders or pills to replicate the more natural sources? Its not like it would make any sense to eat ONLY whey anyway. I've tried the chocolate flavoured powder and it's just terrible.

Just eating normal food, like rolled oats, fish and some chicken seems not only alot easier but also better tasting than getting a plethoria of various flavoured powders or pills to replicate the more natural sources?
I think it does say that they are protein supplements rather than replacements. If you’re doing serious weight training or even bodybuilding the amount of animal derived protein one would have to eat would likely push your saturated fat and salt consumption up to a dangerous level. You can take the yolks out of eggs and just eat the whites (🤢), try leaner cuts of meat, but it only helps a little. So the supplement inventors thought, let’s remove as much fat, salt and sugar from a high protein source (milk) and invented protein powder supplements (not replacements).
Its not like it would make any sense to eat ONLY whey anyway. I've tried the chocolate flavoured powder and it's just terrible.
My chocolate protein supplement is delicious! Recently I tried mixing my night time dose of casein powder with no sugar soy milk and it’s better than any thick shake you can buy?

Back