Palgwe vs. Tae Geuk

Both of them feel like they were designed by committee (because they were). The Taegeuk poomsae feel more comprehensive to me, like they actually build on each other whereas the palgwe poomsae feel more disconnected. Just my personal view.

Lots of people learn them.

I see the problem. You think the Kukkiwon is the sum total of Taekwondo, is that right?
You're wrong about that.

Because the Kukkiwon considers 1st Dan to be a beginner rank, which is commonly awarded after as little as one year of training. That's their stance, and that is what the Taegeuk poomsae were designed for.
If you don't like that, go to a non-KKW school.
I don't know why you are being so rude.

Abou
Uhh....you know that he "said" that 13 years ago right?

Uhh....you know that he "said" that 13 years ago right?
13 years is a flash when it comes to taekwondo. I had 15 year hiatus

Yep and "Karate is just the Japanese doing Okinawan Ryus and Okinawan Ryus are just the Okinwans doing.....

Irrefutably true, which is why I loathe what the Kukkiwon has done to taekwondo, trying to turn it into an indigenous martial art where everything has some deep mystical cultural significance when it really doesn't.

Irrefutably true, which is why I loathe what the Kukkiwon has done to taekwondo, trying to turn it into an indigenous martial art where everything has some deep mystical cultural significance when it really doesn't.
I agree with your comment in part. To me, Kukkiwon is not as culpable as the WT component and what the sport side has done to TKD. Degrading is not a strong enough word for it.

From my experience with Korean culture and with the many Kukkiwon GM's, officials, and leaders I have had to interact with, it is just how they are wired. It is their idea of reaching the pinnacle of a goal. This is very hard for me to hold that against them, but they do blur the lines to create a questionable narrative in certain areas.
Remember, Korea has had a major occupation on at least two occasions. Something very hard for me as an American to fully appreciate. So, I fully get them trying to create their own identity.

Last edited:
I came up doing Pyung ahn along side palgwe, then after about 5 years of training was introduced to the Taegeuks. Palgwe seem like the perfect in between to the pyung ahn and Taegeuks. It's like a transitional form and the taegeuks were the next logical progression in moving away from the heavy japanese influence and making it more of it's own thing. I have no preference personally but I think all of these forms try to teach the same concepts, they just approach them in a slightly different way.

This is an interesting thread. In my Dojang, we learn all 8 Palgwes between 1st & 2nd Dan. I really like the Palgwes. I like the deep stances. *but* my first MA was Shutokan Karate back in the 90’s. We had a lot of deep stances there as well so that may be why I like the Palgwes so much. 🤷‍♀️ I don’t know that I’d claim one is better than the other, it depends on what you want to emphasize (but I will say that I hate walking stances 😂).

The first gym I studied at (starting in 2017), had recently transitioned from Palgwe to Taeguek poomse as the BB were often commenting on it when trying to teach us the Taeguek poomse. My current gym (we moved a few years ago) has been solidly on Taeguek for quite some time by the time I got here. I don’t know how long but all the BB seemed like they came up on Taeguek or at least had been doing them for quite some time. I didn’t even know they did Palgwes at all until I was preparing for my 2nd dan and had to learn all 8 of them (plus Koryeo & Kumgon).

This is an interesting thread. In my Dojang, we learn all 8 Palgwes between 1st & 2nd Dan. I really like the Palgwes. I like the deep stances. *but* my first MA was Shutokan Karate back in the 90’s. We had a lot of deep stances there as well so that may be why I like the Palgwes so much. 🤷‍♀️ I don’t know that I’d claim one is better than the other, it depends on what you want to emphasize (but I will say that I hate walking stances 😂).

The first gym I studied at (starting in 2017), had recently transitioned from Palgwe to Taeguek poomse as the BB weire often commenting on it when trying to teach us the Taeguek poomse. My current gym (we moved a few years ago) has been solidly on Taeguek for quite some time by the time I got here. I don’t know how long but all the BB seemed like they came up on Taeguek or at least had been doing them for quite some time. I didn’t even know they did Palgwes at all until I was preparing for my 2nd dan and had to learn all 8 of them (plus Koryeo & Kumgon).
Sounds like a solid school curriculum.
FYI, it is spelled Keumgang. In my opinion, it is the most overlooked poomsae in the whole form set. Much harder to do correctly than most people think. It test and confirms SO much of a person base skills.

FYI, it is spelled Keumgang.
There is no correct way to translate the spelling from Hangeul (or Hangul) to English. There are several different commonly used methods. I think Keumgang is the most common, but it's not the only "correct" spelling.

There is no correct way to translate the spelling from Hangeul (or Hangul) to English. There are several different commonly used methods. I think Keumgang is the most common, but it's not the only "correct" spelling.
This is correct, but the Kukkiwon accepted spelling is Keumgang. Just letting the OP know.

Yeah, but who cares what they think?
It is 'their' form. They 'made' the poomsae (whoever was in the group at that time). It stands to reason they gave it a name with specific spelling. Even if it is a somewhat borrowed word.
Just like Taeguek's. KKW uses the word completely different form any Korean dictionary, and even gives it several esoteric meanings.
I agree with you on the 'who cares' comment, But anyone who follows or wants to be certified by KKW hopefully digs deep enough to understand more than just surface level.

Back