Palgwe vs. Tae Geuk

They are diferent to me. In my eraly days as a taekwondoing we did palgwes, I liked alot, when I reach red belt level we change the patters to TaeGuks.

Palgwes to me are more asrtistic, more martila if you wish but the mechanics of TaeGuks are simpler and easier to learn and to master.

Educationally talking TaeGuks are simpler and easier to learn.

Manny
I agree, I find the taeguks to be overly simplistic and less artistic. I am not a fan of super high kicks with pointy toes... that is ballet! Kick high if you can and if you need too, it is an admirable skill, but pointy toes are broken toes and we are not practicing ballet!

Thr Tae Guek are a simple set of forms, I really do not like them at all but we must always follow the teaching and changes that are made. I still enjoy doing all the older poomsae's and always will.
We are an older style and practice the older forms, but we learn the newer ones for judging at competitions... The older forms have a beauty and power about them, I am thankful that these were the root of my training. Taeguks remind me of the dumbing down in so many other arenas, making things easier, more achievable. Lowering the bar to accommodate the masses rather than elevating the massess to the bar. That may be harsh, but having grown up TKD the changes are clear even within our ancient art

We are an older style and practice the older forms, but we learn the newer ones for judging at competitions... The older forms have a beauty and power about them, I am thankful that these were the root of my training. Taeguks remind me of the dumbing down in so many other arenas, making things easier, more achievable. Lowering the bar to accommodate the masses rather than elevating the massess to the bar. That may be harsh, but having grown up TKD the changes are clear even within our ancient art
What ancient art? TKD isn't even a hundred years old.

They should be more karate like.... the Chung Do Kwan, first of the kwans, was brought and taught by koreans learning in China during the Japanese occupation! It is a foundational part of TKD history! While it is only natural that Koreans would form it into their own art, and surely even the earliest teachers did this because all teachers do... disregarding the foundation makes the whole house unstable. I know our school teaches the pawges, but we teach a lot of skills and techniques from all areas of the martial arts. We do learn the taeguks as well, as black belts need to recognize and understand these forms to judge and they are KKW/WTF standard, but there is nothing expressly new or unique in the taeguks that builds on TKD.
I agree, but there are certainly schools that do have more of a karate flavor that consider themselves taekwondo and not TSD.

I've also heard people say that they like the Palgwe forms specficially because they are more 'karate-like' than Taegeuk forms.

I figure that if someone wants to learn them, great. If a school owner chooses to use them, again, that is also their own choice, neither good nor bad.

Daniel

What ancient art? TKD isn't even a hundred years old.
all forms of martial arts trace back through each other for centuries... just because Korea was banned from practicing and TKD was founded until the 1940s, does not mean the arts did not exist before Korean occupation, evidenced by Koreans traveling to other countries, like China to learn and practice they arts during its official ban. Why would there even be a ban if Koreans didn't also practice martial arts? That would be like banning luto playing in america....

Back