My coconut break

I found my local teacher an hour away. He does hung gar and long fist. Long fist looks very similar to what I do. It's defiantly related and relevant I think.

I was doing some research last night and found that the monk who I learned 3 forms from lives right here in the US!! I work remotely so I'm flexible and it looks like I just might be heading to California! I'm so dumb I learned from an old scratchy video from when he was in China and I never thought to look him up o_O
Does the hung ga and long fist teacher have a website?

@Wing Woo Gar and I are both in Northern California, but not very close to each other. I am near Sacramento now, he is in the far north California.

Does the hung ga and long fist teacher have a website?

@Wing Woo Gar and I are both in Northern California, but not very close to each other. I am near Sacramento now, he is in the far north California.
taichikungfutao.com

I never thought I'd find myself in California. I've been to San Diego and it's beautiful don't get me wrong. I'm just what they'd call a southern gal 😊 but if I could pick a place in CA it would be the forests in the north. They are just magical.

taichikungfutao.com

I never thought I'd find myself in California. I've been to San Diego and it's beautiful don't get me wrong. I'm just what they'd call a southern gal 😊 but if I could pick a place in CA it would be the forests in the north. They are just magical.
Im less than a mile from the ocean in the Redwood forest in Arcata/Mckinleyville area. In case you come this way, Dr Yang Jwingming lives about 2 miles from me. I train with him 2-3 times a week. I highly recommend him, if you are unfamiliar, look him up.

Im less than a mile from the ocean in the Redwood forest in Arcata/Mckinleyville area. In case you come this way, Dr Yang Jwingming lives about 2 miles from me. I train with him 2-3 times a week. I highly recommend him, if you are unfamiliar, look him up.
Ocean and forest what can be better?!

I thought Jwingming lived in Boston. But that's amazing! I have many of his books marked up and highlighted right next to me. He has been instrumental in my QiGong studies. I'm so grateful for his translations and interpretations. A priceless contribution.

taichikungfutao.com

I think it would be worth checking out that school. I do not know anything about him otherwise and I am not familiar with his specific lineage, but that simply means I have nothing to say one way or the other.

Check out the school, and especially check out the vibe and atmosphere of the school. Finding a method that is a good fit for you is part of the search. Coupled with that needs to be a teacher who is skilled and with whom you also feel comfortable. Not every school will fit that bill for you, so go in with an open mind but also do not be afraid to look elsewhere if it doesn’t feel like a good place for you, if you do not feel comfortable there. That is simply part of the research process in finding the right teacher for you. You might need to check out a few schools before you are ready to decide.

not familiar with his specific lineage
I found this on his page,

"After moving to Olympia, Washington he continued his studies at China Tai Chi Kung Fu under Grandmaster Zhu Bi-Sheng, Sifu Wes Letioa, and Sifu Alan Byar in Hung Gar and Northern Long Fist Kung Fu".

Not every school will fit that bill for you, so go in with an open mind but also do not be afraid to look elsewhere if it doesn’t feel like a good place for you, if you do not feel comfortable there. That is simply part of the research process
This is very assuring, thank you. But still, choices are a luxury for the cities 🥹. As long as he can actually do his own long fist form I'm sure I'll get good value 😅

I found this on his page,

"After moving to Olympia, Washington he continued his studies at China Tai Chi Kung Fu under Grandmaster Zhu Bi-Sheng, Sifu Wes Letioa, and Sifu Alan Byar in Hung Gar and Northern Long Fist Kung Fu".
A yes, what I mean is, I am not familiar with those people, even by reputation. That only means that I am not in a position to speculate about their capabilities.
This is very assuring, thank you. But still, choices are a luxury for the cities 🥹. As long as he can actually do his own long fist form I'm sure I'll get good value 😅
I have trained briefly under one or two teachers who I found to be intolerable as people. I could not learn from them even though they were otherwise respected as senior level people in their respective arts. It was a very bad personality mis-match. Those things happen, it’s ok to move on.

Sometimes these things can be more sinister. By way of example, I dated a woman many years ago who was interested in a particular system, and she found a very high level teacher of that system. She joined his class and he invited her to have a private lesson at the school. Nobody else was there and he took advantage of the situation to start feeling her up, under the guise of correcting her posture and technique. Slimy old bastard. Needless to say, she could not go back to classes of any sort with him. Hopefully you never experience that, and I presume such experiences are not common. But listen to what your gut is telling you. If the place or the group or the teacher just don’t feel right, you don’t feel like you will enjoy the process of training with them, then move on. It is ok to do so. Don’t feel desperate to stay just because you think you won’t find another school that teaches a style you are interested in.

I am not familiar with those people, even by reputation.
Ah ok gotcha.
Sometimes these things can be more sinister. By way of example, I dated a woman many years ago who was interested in a particular system, and she found a very high level teacher of that system. She joined his class and he invited her to have a private lesson at the school. Nobody else was there and he took advantage of the situation to start feeling her up, under the guise of correcting her posture and technique. Slimy old bastard. Needless to say, she could not go back to classes of any sort with him. Hopefully you never experience that, and I presume such experiences are not common. But listen to what your gut is telling you. If the place or the group or the teacher just don’t feel right, you don’t feel like you will enjoy the process of training with them, then move on.
Sometimes I forget about this but it's important for me to remember. You sound like my father lol. You are a good man, thank you.

Don’t feel desperate to stay just because you think you won’t find another school that teaches a style you are interested in.
This I really needed to hear 🙏

Latest Discussions

Back